UNECOM Class of 2006

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
EMS fellowship. Ah, home sweet home for me. I was a paramedic for almost 15 years in Colorado - most of that in a suburb of Denver. It was always... interesting... when the residents did ride alongs. If I end up in EM, EMS will probably be one of my particular interests. But for now, I'm not sure where I want to end up (but I'm darn sure what I don't want to be doing).

I've heard similar stories about the board. Game plan is to walk in and wait till the last few seconds of choosing and see where my best chance lies closest to home.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Eh. Ok. I was so burnt I couldn't hardly stand it. Exhausted. And studying with children at home while husband was working midnights didn't help. So my score wasn't outstanding, but average. I'll take it.

I'm taking step 2 in August. We have to take it before December and more programs want your step 2 scores before the match. We'll see how that one goes. I'm doing well in rotations - did ok in surgery, absolutely freakin' rocked psych, and did well above average in IM.

Got husband and children looking into where they want to live for residency. It's nice to have them doing that background work. :)

Eh. Ok. I was so burnt I couldn't hardly stand it. Exhausted. And studying with children at home while husband was working midnights didn't help. So my score wasn't outstanding, but average. I'll take it.

I'm taking step 2 in August. We have to take it before December and more programs want your step 2 scores before the match. We'll see how that one goes. I'm doing well in rotations - did ok in surgery, absolutely freakin' rocked psych, and did well above average in IM.

Got husband and children looking into where they want to live for residency. It's nice to have them doing that background work. :)

Narrowing down your choice of specialties?

Well, I love EM, but I'd like to be able to do IM work too when I get old and gray (ok, older and grayer). So actually looking at EM/IM duals right now.

Well, I love EM, but I'd like to be able to do IM work too when I get old and gray (ok, older and grayer). So actually looking at EM/IM duals right now.

Awesome!

Have you thought about just doing EM, then specializing in Critical Care (ie fellowship)? There is a HUGE shortage of Critical Care docs (and EM folk). You may want to to talk to Kyle Gunnerson (he's out of VCU) if you have an interest. AND you may want to see if you can talk to the current fellow down at VCU doing their critical care fellowship as she is EM residency trained and went immediately into the critical care fellowship (AND she is a graduate of UNECOM).

Wook

I heard there was going to be some kind of rule passed about EM folk doing critical care/icu stuff that they weren't going to allow it anymore and limit the critical care stuff to IM folk. Rules coming down the pike.... 'cuz that would really suck if I went EM only and that happened. :( Thus the dual thought. It's only another year (for AOA) or two (ACGME).