UNECOM class of 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

noreaster22

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think we are potentially the only school without a 2013 class thread, so here it is.

Congratulations everyone. I'm looking forward to learning with you, going into massive debt with you, and freezing in Maine with you.

Anyone heading up to "Osteoblast"?

Members don't see this ad.

it's not so cold. It was cold a couple weeks ago... THAT was cold. But it's darn right balmy now --- 29 degrees!!!

Welcome to UNE.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Everyone,

I'm a current fourth year at UNECOM. I'm selling my OMT table and I hope one of you can make great use of it. It is a StrongLite OMT version. This is not a massage table but a table specifically designed for OMT(thinner, firm foam for high velocity, low amplitude techniques). It is in perfect condition. It includes a carrying case and folds for easy transport. It will make your life so much easier when studying for OMT tests. I initially paid over $500.00 for it, but I am selling it for $275.00. Please email me at [email protected] if you would like to see pictures or have any questions.

Feel free to email me any other UNECOM questions as well.

Thanks!

Adam

I agree. No activity in a month huh? We are starting to look sad.... I wonder how long they will continue to interview. Anyone else excited about Osteoblast? There, that may be enough questions to stimulate interesting converstations....:D

Anyone have any exciting pre-school vacation plans? I'm planning a mtb trip to Utah that I'm really looking forward to. Might as well rack up a little more debt, not like its going to make a difference, haha.

Are we doing the white water rafting trip this year?

you'll hear about that later. But the white water rafting trip is somewhat of a tradition at thi spoint. As is the cruise of the harbor.

I have it in my head that class starts on August 10th, but I have no idea where this came from. Anyone know?? Shyrem? :)

I don't see it anywhere on the website yet. Generally you need to be there the first full week of August. Which would be Aug 3rd this year.

They'll tell you when they finalize the date. There's nothing on the August calendar yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
That first week of class. Is it an orientation week or do we actually start going to class on August 3? Thanks!

When i started, it was two or three days of orientation and then class started wednesday or something.

What are the specific laptop requirements?

they will likely be changing as technology changes every year. Wait for information from RSAS.

Or if you're really eager and have loads to spend, get the biggest baddest thing you can find in the lightest package ever. You'll have classes where you'll need to bring it to take exams.

First off, congrats to all the UNECOM acceptees! It must be such a relief to know you've finally made it after all kinds of work. I'm a first year, and for any of you interested in housing at this point, I'm looking for roommates.

The house is about 8 minutes from campus in a nice residential area and has a nice yard with a deck overlooking a private backyard. It's a 4 bedroom / 2 bath house. The bedrooms are large (17' x 13') and have big closets. The kitchen is large with plenty of space for everyone's food and dishes and there is a new dishwasher. There is off-street parking (including 2 garage spaces), laundry machines, wireless high-speed internet, and a couple of prolific blueberry bushes. Non-smokers only and no uncaged pets please. Rent is $1600 + utilities for the house (split 4 ways). If you are interested, PM me or email me at ztr101(at)gmail(dot)com and I will send you pictures of the house and all the rooms as well as a phone number where I can be contacted.

You can also contact me if you want to know about the first year courses--we just finished gross, physiology, histology, and biochemistry last week :)))! Good luck to everyone and I look forward to seeing you in August!

It's just so incredibly exciting to be able to post in the "class of" thread! I'm sadly out of money and can't take any more days off work to go to osteoblast... don't everyone go making all your friends without me! And definitely let me know how it goes.

:) Yay unecom!!

Just realized where I got the august 10th stuck in my head. I received a letter from unecom which states,

"Please note that the deadline stated on the immunization and health and physical form states that it is due by August 17th. Since UNECOM students matriculate on August 10th, 2009 your forms are due to the health center by August 1st, 2009."

I know, I'm stuck on this in a ridiculous way huh? I just liked the idea of having a whole week in august to move up to Maine and get settled before class starts. My family is going to NH at the end of July too, so I wanted to go with. I'm going to keep my fingers crossed, haha!

And don't worry raraxavis, we'll make sure there are plenty of friends left. :)

Lets see if we can get everyone who plans to go to Osteoblast (and checks SDN) to sound off...
Im going!

A good portion of our class went to Osteoblast last year, and it was a good time to meet the incoming and current students. They gave me a pretty good idea of what to expect, and I'm sure that our class will do the same for everyone who's incoming this year. Have fun if you can make it!

I'm coming. And I think thats all of us (who check sdn) :laugh:

Hi all,
Since many of you will be traveling to Maine this weekend for osteoblast I thought I would mention that I am looking for a roommate (preferrably another medical student). I own a place just across the bridge into Saco on Saco Island which is about a 10 minute drive to school and a short walk to Run of the Mill. It has two fairly large bedrooms, a bath and half, and is all recently updated. Overall a real nice place. If anyone would like to come take a look or would like more information you can e-mail me at [email protected] . I will try and post some pictures ASAP.

Thank you and congratulations you're past the biggest hurdle!!

I am a current third year who will be doing rotations all over next year with a 4BR/2.5 bath house with available rooms at a reasonable price. The house is located 3.5 miles from UNE. If you are interested, I can send pics or you can email me at [email protected] to get in touch. (places usually go quick)

Hey UNECOMers,

First off, congrats:cool: on getting accepted and being. Alot of people will tell you that the hardest part is over. And I'd agree with them. You did it and you are about to go to a great school. Trust me. I graduated from there and got a great residency.

That being said, I want to offer you a hosuing option. I own a house at:
81 Clifford Street in Biddeford (3 miles from campus) click here for map

The house is the stuff of UNECOM legend. It has been cultivated and furnished expressly for UNECOM students only. I ONLY rent to UNECOM medical students. I'd rather the house be empty than be rented to anyone else.

Rent is $440/month. (1 month security deposit required) That includes water and sewer bills for the year. Utilities not included are electricity (about $20-30/month), cable/high speed wifi internet ($120/month for premium), and oil (varies according to time of year: very low in summer and could be a little more in winter depending on how hot you like the house). The place is very well insulated with new windows in some places and the roof was redone about 4 years ago. I also use environmentally friendly and energy efficient halogen bulbs wherever applicable to keep down on energy bills.

House has paved driveway with room for 4 cars, 2 car garage, big back yard, open basement with bar, wine cellar and laundry facilities (washer, dryer, cabinets), kitchen with dishwasher and fire extinguisher, dining room, 3 bathrooms, library/study room with medical books and board materials, TV room, front porch, side porch (screened in), 4 bedrooms for a total of 4 occupants. The place is amazing and I have spent the past 3 years grooming it to be a fun and friendly learning atmosphere. I only rent to med students because I am one of you and I know what you need and I'd rather rent it to you than some random locals. The whole house is fully furnished (except for 2 of the bedrooms). So you'll just need what you want in your room (i.e. desk, TV for your room, dresser your greatgreat grandpa hued from a single oak, etc.). Kitchen has some plates, cups and utensils, but bring any specialty items you need to cook.

I have a property manager available 24/7 for any emergencies and I always give notice before any visits.

Email me at [email protected] for pictures and more info or if you aheva general question about med school or UNECOM.

Again, congrats and I hope to hear from you.

Romeo

Osteopathic Medicine

Fall 2009​
First day of classes: August 12, 2009
Last day of classes: Dec 18, 2009

Spring 2010
First day of classes: Jan 4, 2010
Last day of classes: May 21, 2010
Spring Break (no classes) All Colleges: March 15-19, 2010​
UNE Commencement: May 22, 2010

I found two interesting programs here, http://www.training.nih.gov/student/Pre-IRTA/irtamanualinterim.asp, and here, http://www.hhmi.org/cloister/program.html, where med students take off a year to do research at NIH. Does UNECOM allow interruption between 2nd and 3rd years for this kind of thing?

I don't know if this has been done before or not, but I was introduced to these programs by one of our professors, so I'm assuming (99%-sure) that it is doable. Keep in mind that the abovementioned programs are extremely competitive from what I hear…

I am a member of the Class of 2013, and I'm looking for housing/roommates for the coming year. I'm coming from Philadelphia, and I'm not really familiar with the area. If anyone is looking for a roomate or have any suggestions for housing, can you let me know?

dkxr3....
I am a current third year who has a house in Biddeford and am renting rooms to two of your classmates are living in the house and I have two rooms available. You can email me at [email protected] if you are interested or would like more info. Thanks, good luck, and get ready!

Hey everybody. Congratulations to those that have been accepted to UNECOM. I have a 1 bedroom condo in Saco that I need to rent since I am moving for residency. For those interested, here is the description:

Cozy, but spacious 1 bedroom condo located in a historic building right in downtown Saco. Walk to shops and restaurants.
Bedroom is 11’x14’, living room is 14’x16’, and there is an eat-in kitchen.
Very sunny, well maintained, and almost fully furnished (no bed).
Cable and internet ready.
There is assigned off-street parking, snow removal, and landscaping.
Neighbors are quiet and respectful – great place for studying.
10-15 minute drive to UNE; 20 minutes to Portland. Easy access to Turnpike. Available on or after June 15, 2009.
Rent is $675/month, tenant to pay utilities. Sorry, no smoking and no pets.

For more info and pics, please email me at [email protected].
Thanks for looking! :)

Hi guys,

Wicked excited to meet you guys next year. If anyone is in Boston and would like to meet up that would be awesome, plus Ill be looking for roommates. Just one question though are books really $2400?

DO NOT GO BUY EVERY BOOK ON THAT LIST.

let me repeat that:

DO NOT GO BUY EVERY BOOK ON THE LIST.

IF you were to purchase every book on the list, yes, it would probably add up to that much. Med school books are extremely expensive - many over $100 each.

You'll get a list of books from the current first years on which books were helpful and which not to purchase. Some of the most helpful books I had were definitely not on my booklist. I would also definitely wait and only purchase books for classes currently running. In other words, if you don't have bacT until February, don't go purchase the book in August (hint: Micro made ridiculously simple is your friend here).

You will also be budgeted $2,000 for a laptop (which you will need to bring to class sometimes to take quizzes and exams on) and $500 for a pda (which I would wait until 3rd year to purchase). Unless you're planning on doing OMT at home, don't bother purchasing a table. Get a good stethoscope that you're comfortable with.

Get used to the high cost of stuff --- that's only just beginning.

Congrats on your acceptance to UNECOM... I am sure that some of you are looking for a place to live while you are in medical school, and my wife and I have our home up for rent. We would prefer to keep UNECOM students as tenants!

If you don't want to deal with noisy neighbors, looking for parking or lack of privacy certainly consider renting a home instead of an apartment. Our 2-story house is a large 3-4 bedroom on a quiet side street, about 5-7 minutes from UNECOM. There are 2 bathrooms, one upstairs and one downstairs, and a flower garden in the back.

There is also a detached garage for covered parking (1 car) and a driveway with room for 2 other cars. This is a big deal when there is a snowstorm and they put a parking ban in effect on all the streets! The home comes partially furnished and there is new flooring (laminate and tile) throughout. Laundry is on the premises. As I mentioned, it's about a 5 minute drive to UNE and also about 5 minutes to I-95 and other retail and grocery shopping.

Rent is $1400 per month divided 3 or 4 ways, depending on whether you use the downstairs bedroom for a study or a bedroom. We request first and last month's rent, plus a $500 deposit. Utilities are not included. We would be willing to entertain a 2 year contract to cover the didactic portion of your medical training. This is NOT a home that will be rented elsewhere in the summer, so you won't be kicked out just as finals begin... (this happens!).

If you would like to see some pics of the place, let us know. We can email them immediately.

If you're interested, you can email Susan at [email protected] or contact Polly at (207) 467-5899 / email at [email protected].

Thanks, and good luck this fall!

i'm thinking of living in portland and am wondering what current students think of this idea? i know a bunch of people do...but do you end up camping on campus for much of the day? i do have a dog, and would need to come back often to tire her out and prevent her from eating my apartment.

also--what's south portland like? i'm a city girl, and not sure i'm ready for the wonders that saco offers...any other comments on areas in portland would be super helpful, also.

Mexi-
you should get a place closer than portland if you have a dog. I commuted to portland today for a preceptorship and it is not a quick jaunt.20-30min (from biddeford, add an extra 10 from UNE) all said and done (saco traffic can be horrible coming of the highway).

My girlfriend works in Biddeford as a therapist now and is able to come back and let the dogs out most days but I cover the other days when she is busy. You are too busy first year (especially if you dont have a partner to help with the dogs) to get back to portland to let take good care of your dog(s). It would not be fair.

Portland is more fun for sure but I would not want to drive it everyday if I did not need too (tolls are high, gas is expensive, time is valuable, and rent is higher up there). You can try and get back to the city 3rd year and 4th yr you go where you want.

When I want to get out of Biddo I do go to study at the cafes in portland but that is only once or twice a week and that is a good enough break from the local area for me at least. There are also some nice little restaurants and bars in cape porpoise (south towards kennebunkport).

Try looking into finding a beach house out on the pool that allows a dog (hard but possible), in old orchard, or saco. Even old orchard would be a bit far to leave to take care of the pup.

oh ya
here they are....
IMG_1371.JPG

Last edited:
Mexi-
you should get a place closer than portland if you have a dog. I commuted to portland today for a preceptorship and it is not a quick jaunt.20-30min (from biddeford, add an extra 10 from UNE) all said and done (saco traffic can be horrible coming of the highway).

My girlfriend works in Biddeford as a therapist now and is able to come back and let the dogs out most days but I cover the other days when she is busy. You are too busy first year (especially if you dont have a partner to help with the dogs) to get back to portland to let take good care of your dog(s). It would not be fair.

Portland is more fun for sure but I would not want to drive it everyday if I did not need too (tolls are high, gas is expensive, time is valuable, and rent is higher up there). You can try and get back to the city 3rd year and 4th yr you go where you want.

When I want to get out of Biddo I do go to study at the cafes in portland but that is only once or twice a week and that is a good enough break from the local area for me at least. There are also some nice little restaurants and bars in cape porpoise (south towards kennebunkport).

Try looking into finding a beach house out on the pool that allows a dog (hard but possible), in old orchard, or saco. Even old orchard would be a bit far to leave to take care of the pup.

oh ya
here they are....
IMG_1371.JPG

they sure are cute! thanks for the advice-that's kind of what i thought-i think i just needed someone to tell it to me straight! i have noticed the impossibleness that is finding a dog friendly apartment/beach house in the area. what's up with that?

they sure are cute! thanks for the advice-that's kind of what i thought-i think i just needed someone to tell it to me straight! i have noticed the impossibleness that is finding a dog friendly apartment/beach house in the area. what's up with that?

rental vacation homes...
really nice to be on the beach and close to school but 2 things:
1. hard to get a place with pets b/c they rent for top dollar in summer or b/c the owners are moving back in
2. you can only get in sept1st so you need to crash for a month at someone else's place and be out at the end of may...

thanks!
d

Hi Guys-

I have a great apartment and am looking for someone that wants to move in to the second bedroom that is currently vacant. It is located just across the Saco line from school so about a 8 minute drive to school. I attached a flier to this post that hopefully will work. If not please e-mail me at [email protected] and I'll get it to you.

Thanks and congratulations!

Attachments

• apartment.doc
    151 KB · Views: 264
Is it possible to commute to campus from Portland or S. Portland without a car? Are there UNE buses that travel between campuses or other forms of public transportation available?

You will need a car for your clerkships. And I don't think there are buses that run between campuses. Local transportation, but not between cities/towns. I could be wrong on this, but I haven't heard of any such public transit system. Sorry.

Is it possible to commute to campus from Portland or S. Portland without a car? Are there UNE buses that travel between campuses or other forms of public transportation available?

I know for a fact that there are public busses from Portland to S. Portland and then to Saco and public busses that run from Saco to UNE campus in Biddeford. I believe the busses that run from Saco to UNE campus are free of charge for UNE students/staff/faculty but busses that run from Portland/ S. Portland to Saco charge a small fee (few dollars I believe). I also know that the S. Portland-Saco busses' schedule makes it almost impossible for a medical students to use as the usual 40-min. trip takes about 2 hours and they stop running very early in the evening. (Disclaimer: I've never personally used the busses but one of my non-medical student friends uses it on daily basis).

Therefore, it is theoretically possible to use public transportation to commute from Portland/S. Portland to UNECOM, however it is very impractical. Many people carpool from Portland area to campus if that's something you may be interested. Having said that, as ShyRem mentioned, you have to do preceptorships during your first and second years which definitely require personal transportation as they are often located in locations not serviced by the public transportation system (3G Dead zones if you will [unless you have Verizon]) LOL…

To sum it up, if you do not have a personal vehicle, living in Greater Portland Area is NOT advised; If you are worried about the commute (e.g. gas money / time) is not that bad, it's definitely worth it if you ask me, but I'm biased so don't ask me!!!!

There are supposed to be rental cars available at UNE -- daily rates on smart cars. At least they were talking about it last year..... anyone have more info on this? (sorry, I'm not on campus anymore.)

Good info on the public transportation system. I had no idea there was bus service between Portland and Saco! There are med school professors that use the local service.

Thanks for the Portland transportation info - I do have a personal vehicle, but I don't want to be completely reliant on it especially during snow storms! It is not exactly an all terrain vehicle - more like a dune buggy.