UNECOM class of 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hello all:

I know that this thread is for UNECOM. However I wanted to know if any of you are current UNE alums, and if possible could you give the future UNECOP students any feedback as to life in Portland Maine/UNE, apartments, your thoughts as to the new COP program, weather(I will need a lot of help here adapting b/c I have lived in the south my whole life), etc at the following thread:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=598512&highlight=une

I will be starting the UNECOP program this fall as well as my future classmates, and we have a lot of questions to ask you all (if you don't mind). This would be greatly appreciated:)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everybody I am trying to figure out my living situation for my first year and cant decide to live alone or with roommates. Do a lot of students live alone? I have had roommates since I was 18 and was thinking of going that route. Any thoughts?

depends on you. Some folks do well living alone, some don't. You can always try it one year and then change your mind.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm having trouble deciding the same thing. I tried moving in with a roommate in Boston a few years ago who I met through craigslist, and it turned into a horrible experience. She seemed so nice when we met over dinner, and the apartment was great. But she ended up being just plain crazy. I mean, abusive boyfriend's punching out windows, screaming fights at 2am, constant drama crazy. I doubt that will ever happen again, and I highly doubt it will happen living with another med student, but I feel sort of tramatized over it!

haha... that being said... I did recently sign the lease on a 2 BR apartment in Biddeford. Its on the same street as the school in a pretty location with a nice backyard and an in-ground pool. I'm looking for one roommate only, so we would split rent- $460 a month including heat and hot water. If anyone thinks they may be interested to hear more about it email me at [email protected] I'm not desperate to find someone, but I think if I found someone interested and we seemed to be compatible then I would be happy to have a live in classmate. :)

Hello to all of you in the incoming class to UNECOM. My name is Katie and I'm a MSII this year who can't wait to go out on rotations next year. I can tell that some of you have started to look into places to live next year and I have a wonderful home this year that will be available for rent next fall. I'm currently renting a 2 bedroom house at the end of Hills Beach Rd (only 2 miles from the school) which is very cute and it has been a wonderful place to return to after classes for the last 2 years. My landlords are a nice couple from RI who are rarely around and very kind and understanding when they are around. If you are interested in looking at the house, costs, etc. feel free to give them a call. Contact: Kathleen at 508-525-5509. If you have any questions for me about the house or what it's like at UNECOM feel free to e-mail me at [email protected]. Good luck next year and congrats!

For those of you thinking about roommates or no roommates, I'm a 4th yr graduating from UNECOM in just a few weeks. I lived alone during my 2 years of didactics and really appreciated the space away from my classmates and school-talk. They are all nice people, but spending 8 hrs a day 5 days a week was enough for me. PLUS, for me, privacy and a guaranteed quiet study space are priceless. Many of my classmates/friends lived alone or with their sig others. Then again, it all depends on your preference.

Just my two cents for whatever they're worth.
:)

:DAs I mentioned above, I'm graduating a few weeks and will be going off to residency out of state. I have a 1 bedroom condo on the Saco/Biddeford line for rent. I prefer renting to UNECOM students over anybody else. My current tenant is a UNECOM student who has lived their for 2 years and really enjoyed the place. She's moving out for clinicals. I'm also looking for a property management company to take care of the place while I'm gone, so no worries about anything going wrong.

Here is the description: Year Round Rental – 1 Bedroom Condo in Saco

Cozy, tasteful and spacious 1 bedroom condo located in a historic building right in downtown Saco. Walk to shops and restaurants.
Bedroom is 11’x14’, living room is 14’x16’, and there is an eat-in kitchen. 800 sq feet total.
Very sunny, well maintained, and almost fully furnished. (tenant will need to bring their own bed)
Cable and internet ready. There is assigned off-street parking, snow removal, and landscaping.
Neighbors are quiet and respectful – great place for studying.
10-15 minute drive to UNE; 20 minutes to Portland. Easy access to Turnpike.

Available on July 1st. Move in date flexible.

No Smoking, sorry no pets

$675 per month, 1 year lease, tenant to pay utilities
Please email for additional information and pictures. Thanks for looking!

[email protected]

I was wondering for current COM students, are we required to have a iphone? It mentioned something like that in the email that we received. Thanks!

current COM student here. No iphone required. no cell phone required. The PDA they are recommending, however, is the iPod/iTouch. More and more apps are moving to iPod since Palm is no longer supporting their products other than their new "blackberry"-esque creation.

I would wait for the PDA until third year. Unless things have drastically changed, there is no need for a PDA/iPod until third year. A laptop, however, is a necessity as you will need to bring it to class for quizzes, classwork, etc.

Would a current UNECOM student mind telling me a little more about the block schedule of exams? First semester, on those days do we have exams in Histo, Embryo, Anatomy and accompanying practical exams too?

What do you current students think of block exams? Does it help for step exams later on or does it foster a tendency to cram and discard? Are there any changes coming into effect for this year?

Lastly, what do most 1st years do with their summer after 1st year? Are there any classes offered that can help one get ahead? Thanks for all of your help.

Last edited:
Would a current UNECOM student mind telling me a little more about the block schedule of exams? First semester, on those days do we have exams in Histo, Embryo, Anatomy and accompanying practical exams too?

What do you current students think of block exams? Does it help for step exams later on or does it foster a tendency to cram and discard? Are there any changes coming into effect for this year?

Lastly, what do most 1st years do with their summer after 1st year? Are there any classes offered that can help one get ahead? Thanks for all of your help.

Essentially every 6 weeks or so you'll have a week set aside for exams (no classes). The end of the week before often has a pretty light schedule as well. The schedule for us was as follows: Monday- nothing, Tuesday- OPP (manipulation) practical in the morning, Wednesday- EOM (Physical Exams- eyes, neuro,etc) in the morning and Histo practical in the afternoon, Thursday- Anatomy practical in the morning, and Friday- 6-8 hour written exam covering all subjects followed by post block exam party and a weekend completely free! This will obviously vary with the subjects you are taking. Also, remember that each of the practicals are only 1-1.5 hrs long so this schedule isn't quite as bad as it seems.

I think the opinion on block exams varies. Personally, I have mixed feelings. Most students start studying hard about two weeks before and of course it gets really intense during the week of exams where we are given all that time to study. As you can imagine this leaves one quite exhausted by the time exams are over. This got better as the year went on and I became more accustomed to the system. The hardest part for me was learning how to juggle all the subjects at once and learning to accept that I will never know every single detail in the way that one could in undergrad.

A positive is that you get that 6 week block where your only obligation is to study for all subjects. You do not fall into the trap of studying hard for the anatomy test this friday and neglecting all your other subjects that week and then the next week cramming for another test at the end of the week and neglecting your other subjects... etc. I think a system like this would lead to more cramming than blocks but having never experienced it I can't say for sure. I also can't speak to how well it prepares you for the boards. However, I think the ability simultaneously juggle all subjects can only help when studying for boards.

As for next year, rumor has it that they are combining embryo, histo, and anatomy into one class. These subjects lend themselves to being combined and I think it will work out well. As for how it will work out come exam time I have no idea.

Many students are doing something productive after MS1... research, volunteer work, mission trips etc. There's also a good amount (including me) that are taking it completely off and just relaxing with friends and family and maybe doing a little travelling. Each approach has its own merits and you'll have plenty of time to decide between now and then. As far as I know there aren't any classes offered to "get ahead". Trust me, you'll probably be savoring the time away from Alfond 106!

Anyone got anything in the mail recently from UNECOM? I haven't for a couple of weeks and am starting to get worried they didn't transfer my mailing address after undergrad finished. Thanks!

Anyone got anything in the mail recently from UNECOM?

No, I have not received anything in a while either. I am waiting to hear about the 2009-10 bill, info about our background check, and the osha/hippa training for matriculation.

Members don't see this ad :)
osha and hippa are online courses that you can do in a couple hours. Make sure you have a lot of coffee with you - they're dead boring. Background checks were done very quietly and we really had no knowledge when they did them unless there was a problem. You'll definitely get a bill. Don't worry about that. Make sure your financial aid stuff is filled out and you've selected a lender, filled out promissory notes, etc. I'm pretty sure we did that in May or so when I entered...

The school did them quietly, w/o your knowledge? That can't be right because its illegal. In order to act on information obtained in a background check you have to have to have permission from the individual releasing their right to privacy, etc... Also, I spoke with UNECOM about this because I thought a check was required prior to matriculation. I was told unecom does not require a background check for matriculation but that the hospitals you rotate at during your clinical years may require one so do it then. Either this is a new policy or the admin is being overtly duplicitious. Any other current students who know how it works?

When I started, one of the forms we signed before attending was permission for a background check. Read the fine print of everything you sign very very carefully.

They could have changed things, of course. They're doing a lot of that since I started.............

not to be a downer, but i need a little advice regarding the hundreds of thousands of dollars of debt im about to recklessly throw myself into. ive looked elsewhere for this specific issue, but cannot seem to find good info.

i already went through the FAFSA process and received my "award" (as if placing myself in this much debt is deemed worthy of accolades). now im faced with selecting a source for the additional funds needed to round out the whopping cost of first year. there seems to be two options: 1) federal graduate PLUS loan; 2) alternate/private loan from a bank. now the interest rate through the graduate PLUS loan is 7.9% and loan fees of up to 4% are withheld at the time of disbursement when taken directly from the federal govt. it looks like this loan can also be obtained through a third-party lender (i.e. Citizen's Bank, BoA, etc.) with an interest rate of 8.5% with various percentage-point deduction and repayment incentives.

my question is, in general, when i go to start paying off these loans 4 years from now, do the incentives offered through private banks outweigh going directly through the feds? will i receive better options/interest rates in terms of reconsolidation and payment? what do most people generally do? it also seems like there is an advantage to going through the private banks with the option of having a co-signer to bring down interest rates. would it make most sense to go this route if i would have a co-signer with excellent credit?

any input would be greatly appreciated. looking forward to getting up to maine and meeting all you guys.

my question is, in general, when i go to start paying off these loans 4 years from now, do the incentives offered through private banks outweigh going directly through the feds? will i receive better options/interest rates in terms of reconsolidation and payment? what do most people generally do? it also seems like there is an advantage to going through the private banks with the option of having a co-signer to bring down interest rates. would it make most sense to go this route if i would have a co-signer with excellent credit?

any input would be greatly appreciated. looking forward to getting up to maine and meeting all you guys.

Hi newbie. I had an "excellent credit co-signer" and went through a private bank. I have a fixed interest rate lower than 5%, which I am happy with. I could be wrong- I'm new to this financial aid stuff- but my understanding is that if you have very good credit, or a co-signer, generally alternate loans through a private bank will be a better deal for you. Its great that federal plus loans are an option for people who do not have a co-signer, because for them they may not be able to get a lower interest rate from a private bank, and in that case 7.9% is a great deal. If you have a co-signer or very good credit, I would apply to a private bank and see what they offer you.

I almost cried when I saw the cost estimate for first year. But I'm doing this, so the best strategy I have come up with to deal with it so far: don't think about it...

Just wait --- your bill goes up every year by at least 6% whether UNE needs it or not...... so start adding it up. And every year they'll send you a lovely letter which states how they're "able to keep the increase below double digits! Isn't that wonderful! Our gift to you!"

'

Last edited:
Then I found out that there is a program whereby you work for 10 years...

What exactly is this program? I know of the NHSC, and the military, but this is not something I am familiar with.

Just wait --- your bill goes up every year by at least 6% whether UNE needs it or not...... so start adding it up. And every year they'll send you a lovely letter which states how they're "able to keep the increase below double digits! Isn't that wonderful! Our gift to you!"

So how much can one expect to pay for a UNECOM education for all four years? Will you be in debt over 300K, Shyrem?

x

Last edited:
'

Last edited:
Hi Guys,
I am a 3rd year who will be doing rotations in Portland. I bought this amazing 3 bedroom condo in Old Orchard Beach to live in my first two years. Its a 10-15 minute drive to school (actually only 3 miles up the river) and absolutely the best place you'll find. I am planning on renting 2 of the 3 rooms and keeping the smallest for myself so I can visit every few weekends when I am not on call. The amenities here are incredible, sauna, salt water pool, salon, gym, restaurant, oh and did I mention that the ocean puts you to sleep every night. Trust me, you'll need the stress relief. I have a 2nd year, a great friend of mine, Nick, who will be in one of the rooms. I am looking for between $750-$850 depending on the room. Everything is included. The only downside is that you can't move in until the beginning of September because it is rented out to tourists. If you think you may be interested and want more info, shoot me an email at [email protected], or [email protected].
Thanks,
Mark

Can any 3rd.4th year tell us what hospital sites are offered to 3rd years in NJ & PA? I could not find this info anywhere on the UNE website.

Also, I've heard that une uses an NBME shelf exam for biochem 1st semester. Une goes out of its way to require biochem before matric, is the class any good, do students feel prepared for the shelf exam?

sites change. What is offered this year may not be offered next year. Depends on what else is going on - for example, MaineMed recently signed an agreement with Tufts that kicked out University of Vermont med students. UVM was not happy. Cooperstown signed a partnership with Columbia and kicked out UNE students. So sites are malleable. However, current sites are readily available on the website. http://www.une.edu/com/clinical/rotations.asp And I didn't look very hard (in fact I find UNE's website very user unfriendly myself). Poke around a bit more. I prefer the search function on UNE's website myself.

As for the shelf exam, as with other classes in med school you get out of the class what you put into it. If you just think showing up will allow you to do well on the shelf exam you're deluding yourself. You need to put the work in and you'll do well.

Also, I've heard that une uses an NBME shelf exam for biochem 1st semester. Une goes out of its way to require biochem before matric, is the class any good, do students feel prepared for the shelf exam?

There was a new biochem professor hired last spring so chances are this year's class will be very different than it has been for the past several years. I do not believe she plans to use the shelf exam.

Hi All,
I recently received the information about computer requirements/recommendations. I am in need of a new laptop anyhow, and am wondering if there are any pointers current students could give me (beyond the specs that are sent in UNE's packet) about things to look for. It seems as though a Mac would be more difficult because they say there are a few additional things that would have to be purchased and added (plus, I am not a Mac user to date). I was thinking of going through the Dell website. Does this make sense?
Also, do we need the iPhone/Blackberry for first year, or not until 3rd year?

Help! I'm not terribly good with the technology aspect of things!

Hi All,
I recently received the information about computer requirements/recommendations. I am in need of a new laptop anyhow, and am wondering if there are any pointers current students could give me (beyond the specs that are sent in UNE's packet) about things to look for. It seems as though a Mac would be more difficult because they say there are a few additional things that would have to be purchased and added (plus, I am not a Mac user to date). I was thinking of going through the Dell website. Does this make sense?

Mac's rock!!! I'm a UNECOM alum and I had a PC for my 4 years at COM. My residency program bought me a Mac last year and I absolutely love it. I will never buy another PC. Get a mobile Me account and sync your computer to your iphone or ipod touch... absolutely amazing! Just my 2 cents!

Hi All,

Hey J515,

Here are a couple resources - I know it's super overwhelming to pin down what laptop you want in all the millions out there. Your best bet is organized searching with a lot of reviews (customer and techie). First off: newegg.com. Find the laptop/notebooks page (look on the top for the tab), then do an advanced search (on the left of the page) and put in UNE's minimum criteria. Then sort it by user rating, price, whatever. I found this so much easier than just blindly sifting through millions of laptops.

Once you find a couple that you like, google the model name/number with the word "cnet" to get the nerdy, professional list of pros and cons and general review. Cnet.com is sort of the final word on stuff like this, they generally know what they're talking about. Since it's a school laptop, you might find that a con about "not great for gaming" isn't as important to you as "really awkward keyboard" or "terrible battery life" or something. You can also just use cnet.com's reviews as a starting point, if you want.

Good luck! In other news, apparently I'm a huge nerd.

Thank you so much for your help! It is much appreciated.

Going back to the student loan discussion, I would be very wary of taking private loans before you have exhausted your federal loan eligibility. Although a previous poster got a good fixed rate of 5% (compared to the federal loan fixed rate of 6.8%), the interest rate is only part of the calculation. Other terms make the federal loans very attractive and likely cheaper in the long run.

Specifically, the income based repayment plan (IBR) is a great deal. You can look up the details, but here's a general overview: After graduation you consolidate your loans and begin making IBR payments, which are set annually based on your income. As a resident the amount is not even enough to cover your student loan interest (assuming $160k in debt), so the excess accrues every month. Then as a practicing physician the accrued interest becomes principal and your new payment is set to a formula maximum based on the payment of your original debt over 25 years. And here's the good part - if you work for a 503 (b) corporation (non-profit, i.e. almost every hospital) then any principal and interest left over after 10 years of repayment (including 4 years of residency) is forgiven. It's ridiculously complicated, and the only reason I'm familiar with it is because we had to decide what to do with my spouse's loans after graduation this year. In our situation we figured that about $80k of principal would ultimately be forgiven (from $150k in loans to start).

Besides IBR, the government-backed loans also have clear statutory mandates for lenders to defer and forbear your payments under specific circumstances. With private loans the decision to forbear is usually at the discretion of the lender.

Do your own research, but I would hesitate to take any private loan over Stafford Loans.

I think that a UNECOM education is going to be around 280,000 for four years, plus interest, so probably in the range of 335,000 is my best guess. But after residency, that will probably grow to 415,000. Assuming that you took out everything in loans. And that's not including the interest that will accumulate as people are paying off the loan over the following decades.

It's really "only" $180k in tuition and fees, the rest depends on how you live. I think you could live lavishly, at least from a student's perspective, if you took out every penny of loans that they offer you.

It's really "only" $180k in tuition and fees, the rest depends on how you live. I think you could live lavishly, at least from a student's perspective, if you took out every penny of loans that they offer you.

Theoretically, though, since the Public Service Loan Forgiveness plan is Income Based (the IB of IBR), not debt based, there's no reason to reduce your loans very much at all. In other words, they'll forgive what's leftover after you made 120 income-based payments no matter what, whether that's $80K or $250K. I'm struggling with this right now - live comfortably and remain well-fed during medical school in the hopes that in 2023 the government is still interested in forgiving my loans; or, severely reduce my loans now and live on canned beans but without fear of a looming $400k of debt?

For people who aren't as familiar with the program as TexasNonTrad is, here's the website: http://www.finaid.org/loans/publicservice.phtml. Read up!

Some bonuses:
-Forgiveness is non-taxable. Yay!
-120 payments don't have to be consecutive. ie: time off for making babies is theoretically possible
-Best part: after 120 reasonable payments, all your debt magically disappears!
-You don't have to live quite so much like a hobo during your medical school years

Some not-so-encouraging things:
-Even after 10 years of working in public service presumably for less money while racking up a ton of interest, you still have to apply for the forgiveness. We're talking fourteen years from now! Who knows what will be going on with this stuff then.
-The loans have to all be federal, so you have to take the grad plus loans at a higher interest rate than private, unforgivable loans
-If you happen to be 15 days late on ONE payment, say goodbye to any forgiveness
-Some weird stuff about filing taxes and being married

You're right the payments are income-based, but they are also capped at whatever your initial 25-year fixed payment would be if you were going to pay the debt to $0, and that amount depends on the total amount of debt you have. If you make $200k as a physician you will be paying the capped, not the formula payment (since it is higher than the cap), so over the six years after residency people with more debt to start will have to repay more money.

'

Last edited:
Hey all!

Just got off the waitlist today... I'm super pumped! I'm looking for a roommate, so if anyone is in need of a roommate (who is an awesome cook) let me know! Best bet is to email me ([email protected])

Looking forward to meeting everyone!

Although a previous poster got a good fixed rate of 5% (compared to the federal loan fixed rate of 6.8%), the interest rate is only part of the calculation.

Do your own research, but I would hesitate to take any private loan over Stafford Loans.

Hey- I think I am this previous poster and I forgot that I posted that and never clarified things afterwards. The private loan I was posting about turned out to be variable interest rate. They say "fixed", but what they really mean is a fixed margin which is something they add to the interest rate, which varies depending on one of several scales. I have not found any other private loans that offer a fixed rate. Federal Grad PLUS offers a lot of other benefits, plus a fixed rate- so I am now thinking it is a much better deal. (We discuss this on the facebook page also)

Welcome to the class, Ama!

I have a question for whoever might know the answer - maybe a current student.

In the most recent mailing, the Anatomy Dept included a list of four books to get started with. They are:
Gray's 2nd ed.
Histology: a text and atlas 5th ed (Ross & Pawlina, 2006)
The developing human: clinically oriented embryology 8th ed (Moore and Persaud, 2008) and
Dorland's Illustrated medical dictionary, 29th ed (2002)

My question is, are these considered some of the books that might not be helpful, we should wait and talk to MSIIs, etc? Or are these the bibles that everyone needs the exact same version of?

And whoever mentioned the rumor about anatomy, embryology and histology being squished into one course, you were right! They say something about it in the packet.

Thanks so much :)

Hi Guys,
I am a 3rd year who will be doing rotations in Portland. I bought this amazing 3 bedroom condo in Old Orchard Beach to live in my first two years. Its a 10-15 minute drive to school (actually only 3 miles up the river) and absolutely the best place you'll find. I am planning on renting 2 of the 3 rooms and keeping the smallest for myself so I can visit every few weekends when I am not on call. The amenities here are incredible, sauna, salt water pool, salon, gym, restaurant, oh and did I mention that the ocean puts you to sleep every night. Trust me, you'll need the stress relief. I have a 2nd year, a great friend of mine, Nick, who will be in one of the rooms. I am looking for between $750-$850 depending on the room. Everything is included. The only downside is that you can't move in until the beginning of September because it is rented out to tourists. If you think you may be interested and want more info, shoot me an email at [email protected], or [email protected].
Thanks,
Mark

Hey guys!!!

Just wanted to let everyone know that if you're in Boston this Thursday you should come to the unofficial UNECOM 2013 meet up! There's a post about it on the facebook group, but I figured that some of you SDNers don't use that... so here goes anyway!

Cambridge Common in Harvard Square
Thursday, 9 July 2009; 730pm

See everyone there!!!

Oh! Other UNECOMers should feel free to come even if you're not in the class of 2013, the more the merrier... it's not an exclusive thing :)

Hey Everybody,

One of the girls from our house just took an acceptance at another school, so we are looking for anyone who has not found a place yet. It is a four bedroom charming house in Biddeford, with two floors and two baths. It has a large dining room, kitchen, and living room, space for four cars, and nice outside garden. It is a 4 minute drive to school and close to the supermarket and stores as well. The rent is $300 plus utilities. If anyone is interested let me know!

Welcome to the class, Ama!

I have a question for whoever might know the answer - maybe a current student.

In the most recent mailing, the Anatomy Dept included a list of four books to get started with. They are:
Gray's 2nd ed.
Histology: a text and atlas 5th ed (Ross & Pawlina, 2006)
The developing human: clinically oriented embryology 8th ed (Moore and Persaud, 2008) and
Dorland's Illustrated medical dictionary, 29th ed (2002)

My question is, are these considered some of the books that might not be helpful, we should wait and talk to MSIIs, etc? Or are these the bibles that everyone needs the exact same version of?

And whoever mentioned the rumor about anatomy, embryology and histology being squished into one course, you were right! They say something about it in the packet.

Thanks so much :)

So, my opinion on anatomy books: Grey's is expensive and useless. You will want a Rohan's and a Netter's. I think the netter's is free w/SOMA membership. The Thiemes series is nice, and I found it super helpful for TAPP and Head/Neck, but it isn't a must. I strongly suggest you buys some of the books you will have to get online ahead of time. You might find them used, but definitely cheaper than the bookstore. I probably spent maybe $900 of my $2400 that way.

Has anyone seen a list of required/recommended textbooks for MSI yet? I don't remember seeing it in any of the mailings so far.

Thanks!

Don't buy any books until you see the survey from the prior year's class as to what was useful and what wasn't. Personally, I'd get a Rohan's, a medical dictionary, a histology text, and then all BRS books if I had to do it over again. Used the BRS books more than anything else and they were much cheaper than the "required" books.

BTW: class of 2010 first time Step 1 board pass rates just came out (they only come out in June now). 96%. Third in the country. Not bad for not having a formal board review exam. Be interesting to see how class of 2011 does.