UNECOM Class of 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
And for all you hold near and dear, do NOT NOT NOT think about reading any books "early" for medical school!!!! This is the last time you'll have to NOT have to do that. Enjoy it.

And for all you hold near and dear, do NOT NOT NOT think about reading any books "early" for medical school!!!! This is the last time you'll have to NOT have to do that. Enjoy it.

Agreed!

If you haven't heard the analogy...you will be drinking from a fire hydrant. In other words, you'll be having so much stuff coming your way you'll sometimes feel like you're drowning in information.

Wook

Make sure to make some time to relax before all the fun starts!

Wook

I will..all I have left for classes is biochem...aside from that I am enjoying the time now with my 4 day old son.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey Teacherman84.... are you the guy from Florida, who actually grew up in Dover that was interviewing at the end of Sept? If so,not sure if you remember me, but I'm the girl from NH that commutes from Nottingham, west of UNH. Congrats! Are you definitely matriculating?

I would have to disagree with ShyREM about not studying ahead of time. As a first year myself, I wish I would have at least purchased a good anatomy atlas (I recommend Thieme) during the summer and just started memorizing it. You have to remember that you'll be taking 7 classes and if you can ease just one of them, you're that much better off.

Hey Teacherman84.... are you the guy from Florida, who actually grew up in Dover that was interviewing at the end of Sept? If so,not sure if you remember me, but I'm the girl from NH that commutes from Nottingham, west of UNH. Congrats! Are you definitely matriculating?

Yeah, thats funny, I asked you the same thing this afternoon on the pre-med thread. I am indeed that guy. I felt really good after my interview, so much so that I rescheduled all but one of my interviews to save some travel money...and it paid off. I wasnt looking forward to paying to fly to kirksville, WV, and TN within a few weeks of each other. I am almost certainly planning on matriculating, I got into PCOM-GA too and am waiting on one MD school but I'm looking forward to moving back to Maine and am still leaning toward UNE even if I do get into the MD school.

I would have to disagree with ShyREM about not studying ahead of time. As a first year myself, I wish I would have at least purchased a good anatomy atlas (I recommend Thieme) during the summer and just started memorizing it. You have to remember that you'll be taking 7 classes and if you can ease just one of them, you're that much better off.

Thanks for the heads up...I was kinda thinking the same thing...I have an older Grants that I was given by a resident and have been working through arms and shoulders here and there. Nothing intense but I figure it cant hurt.

Last edited:
Thanks for the heads up...I was kinda thinking the same thing...I have an older Grants that I was given by a resident and have been working through arms and shoulders here and there. Nothing intense but I figure it cant hurt.

Cool! Congrats on your acceptance! Now you can breathe a little easier, and save a little money. Good luck with your other interviews. Yeah, doctors that I worked with before I started school told me to study anatomy during my "summer break" but people on the forum told me to relax. I opted to do the latter, and now I am wishing that I hadn't. I'm sure you've heard that med school is like drinking from a fire house...well, sometimes it feels like drinking from Niagra Falls. And especially since you've been out of undergrad for a little bit, it takes awhile to get into the groove again. For me, I hadn't taken a course in 3 years before I started school, and boy let me tell you, my brain wasn't ready to get out of relaxation mode. So, my advice to you and anyone else on this thread, buy Thieme and memorize it.

Cool! Congrats on your acceptance! Now you can breathe a little easier, and save a little money. Good luck with your other interviews. Yeah, doctors that I worked with before I started school told me to study anatomy during my "summer break" but people on the forum told me to relax. I opted to do the latter, and now I am wishing that I hadn't. I'm sure you've heard that med school is like drinking from a fire house...well, sometimes it feels like drinking from Niagra Falls. And especially since you've been out of undergrad for a little bit, it takes awhile to get into the groove again. For me, I hadn't taken a course in 3 years before I started school, and boy let me tell you, my brain wasn't ready to get out of relaxation mode. So, my advice to you and anyone else on this thread, buy Thieme and memorize it.

Everyone has their own style. Some people study, some do not. I did not. I had been out about 15 years, but did not find the transition too rough. Each person is unique and you should figure out which is more your style. I personally would not recommend spending too much time studying and would suggest relaxing as it will be quite awhile before you can relax.

Wook

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I would agree with Wook. I'm also a non-trad, and started med school with a family. I did fine. How well you do it totally dependent on the person. I've heard from people that did study say they wish they hadn't and enjoyed their summer more.

Bottom line: do what you wish. Nothing can prepare you for what you will be undertaking when you start med school. Nothing.

Ayup. Couldn't agree more.

Wook

Ayup...I havent heard that in years.

Im not going to go crazy studying and not enjoying my free time but at the same time I might as well do something productive, if only for my peace of mind.

So does Biddeford shut down like the other costal towns during the winter? I grew up going to york and Kittery and it always felt like a ghost town during the winter.

Ayup...I havent heard that in years.

Im not going to go crazy studying and not enjoying my free time but at the same time I might as well do something productive, if only for my peace of mind.

So does Biddeford shut down like the other costal towns during the winter? I grew up going to york and Kittery and it always felt like a ghost town during the winter.

I haven't been back to Maine in 3-4 years and when I was there I was in school, so didn't get out much. From what I recall, it slows down considerably more once the cooler weather comes into town. I would defer to the folks still in the area.

Wook

Aye. Slows down after Labor Day. Gets crazy after Memorial Day. Nice when it slows down, but frankly I didn't get out much either.

what is 1st year like in terms of classes? How many subjects will we study in each block?

There has been a restructuring of classes beginning with my class. In years past, MSIs took 7 independent classes...Gross Anatomy, Histology, Embryology, Physiology, Biochemistry, DOctoring, and OP&P. Now, Gross, Histo and Embryo are combined into 1 class called Human Structure. You still have the same number of credit hours, however because they're combined, your performance in one section can bring your overall grade down. So, if you do really well in the Gross part, and ok in the Histo part, and bomb the embryo, you potentially may have to remediate the entire course because embro made you fail overall.

As for the advice that Wook and Shyrem are providing in terms of "the last summer", you have to take into account what your life in med school will be like. For me, I commute from NH every day, which in total is about 3 hours...15 hours a week. I also had ailing grandparents and a death in the family to add to my time management. If you anticipate living on campus by all means, live it up this summer. I just know from experience that you can't plan "life"...it just happens. And if you can ease just one aspect of med school in the event that something happens, God forbid, then study anatomy.

There has been a restructuring of classes beginning with my class. In years past, MSIs took 7 independent classes...Gross Anatomy, Histology, Embryology, Physiology, Biochemistry, DOctoring, and OP&P. Now, Gross, Histo and Embryo are combined into 1 class called Human Structure. You still have the same number of credit hours, however because they're combined, your performance in one section can bring your overall grade down. So, if you do really well in the Gross part, and ok in the Histo part, and bomb the embryo, you potentially may have to remediate the entire course because embro made you fail overall.

As for the advice that Wook and Shyrem are providing in terms of "the last summer", you have to take into account what your life in med school will be like. For me, I commute from NH every day, which in total is about 3 hours...15 hours a week. I also had ailing grandparents and a death in the family to add to my time management. If you anticipate living on campus by all means, live it up this summer. I just know from experience that you can't plan "life"...it just happens. And if you can ease just one aspect of med school in the event that something happens, God forbid, then study anatomy.

With all that driving, have you thought of listening to board prep material on tape. 15 Hours each week would give you alot of time to prep. I did that in residency as I was spending an hour in the car each day (at least) and got alot of studing in that way. Just a thought 'cause that drive sounds like a killer.

Wook

With all that driving, have you thought of listening to board prep material on tape. 15 Hours each week would give you alot of time to prep. I did that in residency as I was spending an hour in the car each day (at least) and got alot of studing in that way. Just a thought 'cause that drive sounds like a killer.

Wook

My thought too as I was reading that.

jkmph: Did you interview on 10/15? I think I remember you mentioning that on the pre-med thread. I interviewed that day, too. I called the admissions office today and they told me I got in! Did you happen to do the same?

Cheers,
A.

jkmph: Did you interview on 10/15? I think I remember you mentioning that on the pre-med thread. I interviewed that day, too. I called the admissions office today and they told me I got in! Did you happen to do the same?

Cheers,
A.

Yes I did interview (black suit, purple tie) that day and congratulations!

I emailed James Gaffney but I should have called as he told me he would not be able to respond today. I'll call tomorrow.

-J

Yes I did interview (black suit, purple tie) that day and congratulations!

I emailed James Gaffney but I should have called as he told me he would not be able to respond today. I'll call tomorrow.

-J

Good luck, J! I hope you get some good news. :xf: I was the girl in the black suit, red shirt, dark hair, kind of short.

Just got off the phone with Lisa. +1 acceptance for 2014.

I have some other interviews setup but UNECOM is my first choice. Now I need to consider the cost of tuition at the other schools I have interviews at and try to justify the significantly higher debt load at Biddeford...

Congratulations, jkmph and DoctorizeMe!!!

Congrats to all the new acceptances. Its a good feeling.
Sadly I have decided against attending UNECOM next year. As much as I would love to move back to Maine, I married a southern girl and for her sake I'm going to go to PCOM-GA to be closer to our families.
I'll get back to Maine someday...

I've decided I'll be attending UNECOM for the class of 2014. Anyone recently accepted? It's too quiet!

Dr. Wook. I'm quite certain we exchanged some emails right as I was wrapping up my first year of my MPH at Rollins. Maybe we should catch up and you can fill me in on some dirty secrets and juicy knowledge about UNECOM..

Dr. Wook. I'm quite certain we exchanged some emails right as I was wrapping up my first year of my MPH at Rollins. Maybe we should catch up and you can fill me in on some dirty secrets and juicy knowledge about UNECOM..

Duuuude!!

Definitely communicated with you before. Are you back up north or back down here? Be happy to catch up! Glad to know that you got in!! And obviously I'm not too anonymous :laugh:

Wook

congrats to everyone with acceptances!!! what great news :)

i am interviewing tomorrow... any last minute advice? i'm so nervous! would love to get in, stay in new england. tuition seems to be a huge debate, but unless i get into my state MD school, tuition across the board looks comparable.

Please take into account total COA and tuition hikes when you look at cost. Also look at whether scholarships and grants are available.

congrats to everyone with acceptances!!! what great news :)

i am interviewing tomorrow... any last minute advice? i'm so nervous! would love to get in, stay in new england. tuition seems to be a huge debate, but unless i get into my state MD school, tuition across the board looks comparable.

Hey, I guess you already interviewed at this point... I hope it went well! :xf:

Hey, I guess you already interviewed at this point... I hope it went well! :xf:

thanks!!!! it did go well, i think. i had drs. norton and edwards. they were both nice people, but approached the interview differently, so i felt nervous half the time, and ok the other half. i don't think i said anything that would raise red flags, but im not sure what kind of impression i left with them.

mr. gaffney told our entire group that decisions would hopefully be mailed before Christmas, so i guess i just need to hang tight for a little while.

i really hope they accept me! i really loved the school and had a great time meeting students and other interviewees.

thanks!!!! it did go well, i think. i had drs. norton and edwards. they were both nice people, but approached the interview differently, so i felt nervous half the time, and ok the other half. i don't think i said anything that would raise red flags, but im not sure what kind of impression i left with them.

mr. gaffney told our entire group that decisions would hopefully be mailed before Christmas, so i guess i just need to hang tight for a little while.

i really hope they accept me! i really loved the school and had a great time meeting students and other interviewees.

I'm glad it went well! Yeah, I was nervous too. I wouldn't worry about it. That's the great thing about UNECOM - they let you know quickly to minimize the agony, haha. I hope you get in, let us know!

Congrats to everyone on their acceptance! UNECOM is a great school and I felt during rotations that we are as good as any other school out there. I am graduating from UNECOM in May and am moving out west so I am looking to sell my house in Biddeford. It is a large four bedroom house, 2 car garage, 2.5 baths, pellet stove, with lots of updates. It is located 3.5 miles from UNE in biddeford. I rented the house out to fellow UNECOMers and worked out really well for... me. It would also make a great family house. The $8000.00 credit has been extended until June 30, 2010 as long as there is a contract before April 30. Let me know if you are interested or have any questions. Good luck!
[email protected]

UNECOM was my first choice, to the extent that I didn't actually have to interview anywhere else. I've known since Halloween, but just took the time to look for a thread... so yeah, excited :)

UNECOM was my first choice, to the extent that I didn't actually have to interview anywhere else. I've known since Halloween, but just took the time to look for a thread... so yeah, excited :)

Future co-conspirator here.

Welcome to the thread, daroof! :thumbup:

Congrats to all those who have been accepted to UNECOM 2014!

To the point: I'm a second-year student who is relocating to the Berkshires in Massachusetts for my third and fourth years. I'm giving up a rental house in Scarborough, ME, about 22-min. from campus. It's a great place and the landlord has given me the green light to try to find any interested med students. It's a 3-4 bedroom house with a large yard on a dead-end street that overlooks Scarborough Marsh. It's about 5 minutes to the beach, and 15 minutes to Portland. The rent is $1200/month. The landlord mows the lawn in the summer. There is a single-car garage. Washer/dryer. Dishwasher. Can't think of anything else at the moment. . . We're really bummed to be moving from this great location. Let me know if you're interested!

Cheers!

Hey all - I was wondering what we're looking at for timelines here for hearing back for acceptance...

Anyone who interviewed the end of January hear back yet?

Thanks!

Hi all,

Just got my UNECOM acceptance letter today!! Can't wait to meet you all in the fall!

Congratulations Class of 2014!

I am a curtent 4th year and will be renting my 4 BR, 2.5 bath house. It is located 3.5 miles from UNE It is around $550/month with utilities including cable and internet. It has two car garage with space for four more off street parking. If anyone is interested you can email me at [email protected] or call 208-390-6463

Congrats on getting in!!! You are going to medical school in a truly wonderful place, as measured by location and people. Loved UNECOM when I was there and visit every chance I get.

So anywho, the house is at 81 Clifford Street Biddeford, ME 04005.

It is offered ONLY for UNECOM med students. (I used to be one and those are the only tennants I'm interested in having there.)

There are 4 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, library (with medical resources), laundry, TV room, bar in the basement, 2 car garage, huge yard, lots of storage and only 3 miles from UNECOM. It is the stuff of UNECOM legend/tradition.

Rent is $450/month. (1 month security deposit required) That includes water and sewer bills for the year. Utilities not included are elctricity (about $20-30/month), cable/internet ($120/month for premium), and oil (varies according to time of year: very low in summer and a little more in winter depending on how hot you like the house). The place is very well insulated with new windows in some places and the roof was redone about 5 years ago. I also use environmentally friendly and energy efficient halogen bulbs wherever applicable to keep down on energy bills.

I can send pictures and answer any other questions. Please email me at [email protected]

Also, the current tennants have said that anyone can come by to look at the house at any time. Just give us a little advance notice and we'd be happy to show you around.

Congrats on getting in and hope to hear from you soon,

Romeo