UNECOM Discussion thread 2007-2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mshheaddoc

Howdy
Moderator Emeritus
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
For discussion of the school noted above. This includes interview dates, questions, etc. Threads will be merged in here if they are created on their own.

We are doing this to cut down on the traffic of threads so it makes it easier for people to find information about a school.

Members don't see this ad.

hiya!!!

I just returned from my UNECOM interview...well it was thursday...and I loved it sooo much!!! the people were soo nice and seemed to really enjoy their school... the other applicants also seemed very nice and my interview was amazing... i mean i am not sure how i did of course... but it was very much like a conversation... it was a great first interview... i think it was tooo nice because now I am going to expect all of my other interviews to be that comfortable... did i mention the campus is absolutely gorgeous???... oooh i hope i get in:luck:... okay 1 down... 10 more to go.:eek:.. i am not complaining though this is soo much fun!!!:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Mel :)

I interviewed tuesday and was pleasently surprised. It is a beautiful campus and their facilities are awesome. Great area too. However I can't echo your comments about the interview. I got sooo nervous and I think I totally bombed it. Well maybe it wasn't that bad, I'm optomistic. But I was impressed with the whole visit... good luck :luck: The adcom will probably meet end of next week, end of the week after that?

Members don't see this ad :)
That is sooo good to hear! UNECOM is among my top choices . . .still hoping for an interview invite though. Are you from Maine?

That is sooo good to hear! UNECOM is among my top choices . . .still hoping for an interview invite though. Are you from Maine?

hiya...no I am from NYC...and I live in upsate NY now!!!:)

Were there any crazy or unusual interview questions?
How were the students? It seems like, collectively, they're a friendly bunch.
I'm trying to read up so I can put my best foot forward during the interview!
pm me if you prefer.

I've driven through the campus before & town of Biddeford. It seems like an awesome place. From what I've heard, the graduates have a good rep. in the area as well. Not to mention snowboarding and lobster.

my interview lasted 1 hour and 20 mins! it was supposed to be with two people for 1/2 hour..but there were scheduling problems so it was only one... and he was a Dean...

hmmmmm...I only remember three true questions.... tell me what you know about osteopathy, what is the one thing your mother would say she loved about you... what is the one thing she didn't like and what annoyed her about you...and one scenario questions after I told him that i wanted to be an oncologist after having worked oncology hospice for two years before going to the ER... the other hour was truly a conversation!! we talked about everything!!!(state of osteopathy....diversity in medicine or a lack there of.... our obligations as physicians, health care reform)... he would make a point I would either agree or give my opinion... it was incredible!

did he like me?? I dunno... did I do well?? who knows?? but i left there extremely happy and hungry

the people of maine are sooo nice...I don't drive so my hotel shuttle literally took me everywhere!!! from the airport, to the airport, to the interview...picked me up... even took me to get lobster!!!!! and brought me back... all for free... of course i tipped them!! the people in my interview were all from non maine states...NY, NJ, TX, PA,
the students seemed to generally love the school!!! its small but not too small... I know two doctors that went there and I completely see why they did... their personalities are just like the other students there!!

good luck!!

P.S. if you don't drive... stay at the Holiday Inn Express:)

Glad to hear everyone is having a good experience up there. I have an interview with them near the end of October, and I'm really excited. It's one of my top choices at this point.

Hope you all did well in your interviews. Try and relax!

Great to hear that things are going well for people here at UNECOM. I am currently a first year student in the thralls of head and neck anatomy as well as a few other courses. UNECOM is a great school and was my top choice when I applied. I am pretty involved in school activities and would love to answer any questions anyone might have. UNECOM, through RSAS, also has a service where there are many (over 130) 1st and 2nd year students who are willing to answer questions any incoming students might have.

If I may, here are a few great things about UNECOM that you may not have known:
  • Full cadaveric dissection of the entire body w/4 people per cadaver
  • Great, top of the line anatomy lab with natural light, plasma tv's, cross sections and many other great things
  • Student reviews before every exam based on past material
  • Full compilation of old exams available for student use as well as Note Service - scribed and recorded files of every lecture
  • Tutoring service available to all students
  • Amazing OMT professors who are the top of their fields
  • Incredibly supportive faculty and classmates!!! I cannot emphasize this fact enough!
  • No grades! Just pass and fail. No competition. Even the gunners want to help everyone.
  • Beautiful campus overlooking the ocean. Amazing sunrises!!

UNECOM feels like home. Medical school is going to be one of the most trying and taxing endeavors you will ever face. But at UNECOM, there truly is a feeling that everyone can make it. Everyone is going to help each other out so that we ALL can succeed.

The administration and admissions committee knows who I am on this website and I do not hide my feelings about the school whatsoever. UNECOM was and IS right for me. Good luck with your future goals. Maybe I will see you at an interview later this year or even next year in class.

Take care,
Rob

[*]Incredibly supportive faculty and classmates!!! I cannot emphasize this fact enough!

Nice post Rob...but you left out "Incredibly supportive faculty, classmates, and ALUMNI" (sniff, sniff. Us geezers do try to support youse guys too).

Seriously though. I agree with Rob's comments, especially about the supportive atmosphere. It makes some of the challenging times during school much more tolerable.

Wook

I interviewed at UNECOM on Tuesday. I don't want to echo everything that's already been said, but I too, loved it!

The only thing that I'm worried about is this....I applied to all MD schools except for UNECOM. I am afraid that in the eyes of the committee, that just seems like it's my "backup" school or something like that. Now, being nervous for the interview, these perceptions may not be accurate, but my interviewers seemed rather cool toward me. Like they were skeptical of my motives, perhaps? Ugh. I applied to UNECOM because I a) heard it's a great school that provides b) superior training in anatomy. Furthermore, c) I think Maine would be an ideal place to live, and perhaps settle down in eventually to raise a family. Would I have traveled as far as I did to interview if I weren't genuinely interested?! I hope they can see that...

In any case, I'm hoping I won't have to speculate for too long as I await my thin envelope in the mail. Good luck to you all, by the way :luck::D:p

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed at UNECOM on Tuesday. I don't want to echo everything that's already been said, but I too, loved it!

The only thing that I'm worried about is this....I applied to all MD schools except for UNECOM. I am afraid that in the eyes of the committee, that just seems like it's my "backup" school or something like that. Now, being nervous for the interview, these perceptions may not be accurate, but my interviewers seemed rather cool toward me. Like they were skeptical of my motives, perhaps? Ugh. I applied to UNECOM because I a) heard it's a great school that provides b) superior training in anatomy. Furthermore, c) I think Maine would be an ideal place to live, and perhaps settle down in eventually to raise a family. Would I have traveled as far as I did to interview if I weren't genuinely interested?! I hope they can see that...

In any case, I'm hoping I won't have to speculate for too long as I await my thin envelope in the mail. Good luck to you all, by the way :luck::D:p

Many people in my class applied to MD and DO schools. I wouldn't worry too much about that.

Stay positive!

Wook

Approximately how long does it take to hear back after an interview? UNECOM will be my last interview, but it is one of my top choices, so I'm trying to figure out if I'll hear back before I need to respond to my other acceptances. I really think that I'll love the school, because I love what I've heard so far and the research I've done. Is there any possibility of moving up my interview? I was hoping that I might be able to do that, especially because I dont want to put a $2000 deposit down at a school to hold my spot waiting to hear from UNECOM.

Thanks for the advice in advance!!

Call and ask if they can move up your interview. It can't hurt.

I tried, but I had to leave a message and they haven't gotten back to me yet :confused:

when is your interview? If its before Decmeber I wouldnt worry about it since thats when the deposits are usually due.

Well, my interview is in the beginning of november, but DMU requires a response in November i think? I could be wrong...but even if i interview in November, would I hear back from UNECOM in time for the December deadlines? I know that those are around December 15th.

I would just call the head of admissions and tell her that , "I have been accepted to DMU but UNE is my top choice and I dont want to have to pay the deposit for DMU if I am fortunate enough to get accepted to UNE. So if it isnt' too much much trouble is there any way that I can have my interview in mid October as opposed to early Novemeber?"

thats what i would say.

Good luck pal

bill belichek

Bill, could you videotape an interview for us, so that we can know what to expect?

I would just call the head of admissions and tell her that , "I have been accepted to DMU but UNE is my top choice and I dont want to have to pay the deposit for DMU if I am fortunate enough to get accepted to UNE. So if it isnt' too much much trouble is there any way that I can have my interview in mid October as opposed to early Novemeber?"

thats what i would say.

Good luck pal

bill belichek
hey bill, hope that whole spying scandal didn't hurt your credibility for your interviews... I'd definitly be prepared to discuss it. :thumbup:

I figure that after my 5th super bowl win this year(4 with the patriots and 1 with the giants) the only thing left for me to do is to become a doctor.

I figure that after my 5th super bowl win this year(4 with the patriots and 1 with the giants) the only thing left for me to do is to become a doctor.
one of the biggest mistakes the giants ever made... not signing belichek after parcells when he wanted the job...

haha maybe you guys should start a football thread

the major pre-req for UNECOM that surpasses both MCAT and GPA should be that the applicant is a NE PATRIOTS fan. Anything less would be uncivilized.

too bad i'm a die hard STEELERS fan. Patriots will be destroyed.:laugh:

Does Casey Hampton still play for the Steelers? He is the best defensive player ever.

hmm, maybe you misunderstood. I'm a die-hard STEELERS fan, but also a female. :rolleyes: Therefore, I know enough about football to scream loudly at the television....but definately don't know who plays for who...though I do know the expected. I havent heard his name recently, so no?

Casey Hampton is an all-pro nose tackle from the University of Texas. His senior year, we had him and Shaun Rogers (Detroit Lions all-pro) up front. Nobody ran on us.

so what are u accusing me of exactly?

ShyRem (or other current UNECOMmers), any word on if the adcom has met recently? when the next acceptances/rejections/holds will be sent out? I'm dyin' here!!!:eek:

.....if I move to Maine, I will have to get NFL network so I can watch my Green Bay PACKERS!:D (sorrry, had to!)

the major pre-req for UNECOM that surpasses both MCAT and GPA should be that the applicant is a NE PATRIOTS fan. Anything less would be uncivilized.

Yes!! My fiance grew up in Boston, and we are both HUGE Pats fans!

I'm glad I meet the major pre-req; I'm halfway there... ;)

EDIT: TeaKae, my fiance and I were just saying how if I got into UNECOM we finally could STOP paying for the NFL Ticket on Directv. LOL

EDIT: Sorry, ShyRem, didn't see your post until after I wrote this...

The calendar this year has no entries for when the adcom meets. :( Last year it listed them all...........

sorry, no insight for "when" here. I think they're trying to keep on top of things though, just from the speed of the acceptances/rejections so far.

Is anyone interviewing next week?

I can't wait to see the campus! :)

So I had an interview at UNECOM today, and I think it went ok...I really really loved the school and had two really cool interviewers. I'm not telling myself that I did really good or bad yet. When do the adcoms usually let applicants know? And do I have good chances with an MCAT of 29S, a background in social work and counseling, a background of working in community health clinic, and a genuine interest in geriatrics?

It's hard to say, disco. It's not about numbers. Numbers at UNE get you the interview... who and what you are gets you in or out.

Hello (hopefully) Future UNECOMers,

My name's Geoff and I'm an OMS-III at UNECOM. I'm currently living in Providence doing my surgical rotation at Roger Williams Medical Center.

I just want to share with you my experience having spent both my 4 years undergrad and first two years of med-school on the Biddeford Campus. I know the school and area really well.

You'll fall in love with the campus. Unfortunately, as med-heads, you probably won't find yourself in the nooks and crannies of natural splendor (being at the mouth of the Saco River provides) as often as I was enjoying them as an undergrad. You'll spend a lot of time in the Alfond building, which is a great facility, learning :) The classrooms are comfortable, giving you a lot of personal space, and at the same time, feeling close to a group of people you'll get to know really fast and for two good years that seemed all too short.

The staff is likeable, although I am unsure of how the Anatomy program is now without Dr. Cross, who ran it for like 20 years or something, maybe more. Their anatomy program is a very strong point as well, being in surgery, I am often complimented with my anatomy knowledge. I couldn't have gotten better training. 24/7 access to the cadaver lab made it work out really well. And it's like that with all the classes. Good digital communication makes getting materials easy. Part of the ease of the school is it's networking and propagation of digital materials. All our classes were great for that reason.

Again, the faculty is great. They'll instill your confidence and challenge you thoroughly. You'll get to know them fast and find that they treat you like colleagues as opposed to "students" and at the same time, they'll respectfully offer you their expertise when they sense you need it.

I really enjoyed my time there. The social aspect was great as well. Every class has always been a good mix of people that mesh well when the time is right for a little celebrating. They've done a great job at attracting students who are well rounded, athletically, academically and socially. Very little stressful drama if you're not that kind of person, and an overwhelmingly positive attitude.

This is what I got out of my time at UNE. Any bit of that you noticed while getting a tour of the campus was legit.

And one more thing, they train you for the real world. The usefulness of the osteopathic lab and how well it trains you for future patient encounters is indispensable in my mind. I don't know how people in MD schools get by without it. There's a certain amount of anxiety inherent in being a Doctor to someone, and the training you get in that role at UNECOM is not only sufficient but excellent. I was comfortable with my first 'real' patient, and that is what counts, in my mind. Confidence in oneself and displaying that confidence to those who seek advice is an acquired ability. Medicine will make anyone humble and that's why it takes 'Practice'. But UNE will definitely give you the tools to handle that humility. You'll be ready when you go off to rotations. And you'll love it.

Hope this helps, I can field specific questions if anyone asks!

Geoff Champagne, UNECOM class of 2009

When I applied, it must have been about this time of year (2004) that I was completing my secondary application. It may have not even been until December that I got my LAST recommendation letter in. I just remember that I had my interviewletter in January and my interview in February. Within a couple weeks I had my notice that I was on the waiting list. I don't know if this had anything to do with being on campus at that time as an undergrad, but they're quick in responses.

Contrary to popular belief, they don't interview THAT much, so feel good that you got this far. More than likely, there's a good chance good news is coming your way, especially if your interest in the school shined during your interview. I had a leg up with this one because I had already been there for a few years when I had my interview. They knew I appreciated where I was. But anyways, if you're that crazy, I can give you the telephone number and the Name of the person who WILL tell you the status of your interview. PM me and I'll send it your way, I don't want them getting mobified with phone calls for nothing.

Coxsuckie Virus:
I think I can wait until I actually get the letter. I was just really excited to be there and thought that the students were nice, dynamic people who really appreciated where they were. I would really like to be in that environment. It seems really supportive and close-knit. It reminds me very much of the school I went to on the west coast.

I do think I was able to show my interest...although it helps that I managed to get two interviewers who shared my interest in geriatrics. :)

Disco, I'm interviewing on Thursday. Can you tell me what the day was like so I know what to expect? Thanks!

I hope you get good news!

IUgrad:
Caveat Emptor, my impressions may be skewed as I applied late and this was my first interview. It was my first interview offer, for that matter.

Anyway, you arrive around 8ish, and everyone checks into the health sciences building. You get a chance to talk to the other applicants, which is fun, but for me was a little intimidating because they had all had other interviews and had applied much earlier than I had. Nevertheless, they were all really nice. You get an open tab at the little cafe in the health sciences building, which is nice. The whole group sees a powerpoint presentation that answers some pretty common questions. Then, they divided us into two groups. One group had interviews in the first chunk of the day, and the other got a tour of the campus and got to chat with current students. Then, the groups switched. Students are interviewed by two to three people; I had a really nice D.O. and a really cool Ph.D. The interview itself seemed pretty relaxed. They had a few questions for me regarding my somewhat unconventional academic record and how I handled stressful situations and multi-tasking. They also started the interview by listing everything that is possibly going wrong in the health care profession and then asking, "why on earth do you want to do this?" We then proceeded to have a conversation about the state of health care, patient rights, preventative care, geriatrics and the like. Maybe I'm nervous because there were not very many questions that seemed like they had "right" answers, even though that is what I expected. They seemed like they wanted you to have an opinion and stick up for your opinion respectfully. They also want you to have questions and to appreciate that as a student at UNE, you'll likely work at least a little in rural communities.

It seems good in retrospect. It also seems like they narrow down the applicant pool pretty well before you even get to the interview stage. The MSAR claims that out of staters who are interviewed have about 69% acceptance rate. It's higher for Mainers, but most of the applicants are from out of state.

Geoff,
Good to hear from you. You probably dont know me, but we spoke a few times last year and I am living in your old house this year. Great to hear things are going well for you. Anytime you want to head back to Maine, we have that spare room. Take care.
-Rob, MS1

When I applied, it must have been about this time of year (2004) that I was completing my secondary application. It may have not even been until December that I got my LAST recommendation letter in. I just remember that I had my interviewletter in January and my interview in February. Within a couple weeks I had my notice that I was on the waiting list. I don't know if this had anything to do with being on campus at that time as an undergrad, but they're quick in responses.

Contrary to popular belief, they don't interview THAT much, so feel good that you got this far. More than likely, there's a good chance good news is coming your way, especially if your interest in the school shined during your interview. I had a leg up with this one because I had already been there for a few years when I had my interview. They knew I appreciated where I was. But anyways, if you're that crazy, I can give you the telephone number and the Name of the person who WILL tell you the status of your interview. PM me and I'll send it your way, I don't want them getting mobified with phone calls for nothing.

Hey Rob,

Thanks for the offer. I already miss the place although it is quite nice to be back in RI after a six year hiatus. I live right on Narragansett Bay new Johnson and Wales Harborside Campus, it's quite a beautiful spot, but nothing like the area UNE is in. I love Biddeford Pool and the beaches up there. I already miss it so much. Hope school's going well for you! I almost went up this past weekend because they were asking for MS-III's to help coat your class, I guess the Second Year class is a little short staffed for the job. But congrats on getting your coat man! Hope everything goes well for you!

Geoff

Thanks for the info, Disco!

I think it sounds like your interview went very well. Let me know what you find out!

Too bad it was raining today.. I bet you guys didn't get a good scope of the campus. It is normally gorgeous & full of people playing frisbee/football during lunchtime and such..

I hope the interviews went well :thumbup: