1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

UNECOM?

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by Bandit, Mar 16, 2000.

1. Bandit

Bandit Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Hi,
    I was just wondering if I could have people's input on UNECOM. I really liked it there, but there is hardly ever a post on this school compared to the rest. Thanks for your input!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Bandit

Bandit Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Hi Again,
    Does anyone from UNECOM go to this message board? From what I know about UNECOM, I am happy, but I just was interested how the students their feel. Thanks for your time.

4. ReneeWB

ReneeWB Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Hi Bandit! I am a first year at UNECOM. I found myself in a similar situation to you last year after being accepted. Not many people who were planning to attend visited this board. I did meet a couple of my classmates here though.

Personally I think UNECOM is one of the best kept secrets in medicine. It is a wonderful school with a great learning environment. The admissions committee does an excellent job selecting classes which are very cohesive. I consider many of my classmates to be very close friends; I expect these friendships will last a lifetime. If you have been accepted to UNE, the committee believes you have what it takes to be a quality physician. I have learned so much already, and I am enjoying it.

This is our spring break week which may be why more people haven't posted responses to you. I know my friend Matt usually posts in response to UNECOM posts.

Take care.

Renee

5. Bandit

Bandit Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Hi Renee,
    Thanks for the reply. I have a couple of questions that you might be able to answer about UNECOM's curriculum. I was told that the first two years are pass/fail. Is this true? Also, how are the 3rd and 4th year rotations graded. Is that pass/fail as well or is their a letter grade? Does anyone at UNECOM take both the COMLEX and USMLE? Thanks for your help and I look forward to hearing from you soon.
    Sincerely,
    Shannon

6. Matt2BeADO

Matt2BeADO Member
    10+ Year Member

Hey guys,

I have been on Spring break the last week and was unable to respond to your posts. I must first echo the words of praise for UNECOM offered by Renee. Renee and I met on this message board last year and thought the same things you guys have thought...that from the number of posts about UNECOM on this board there are only going to be five people in your class at UNECOM. Relax, I can assure you that there will be 115 first years come August.

I have had nothing but a positive experience at UNECOM. Our facilities are unmatched and the instructors are excellent. You will learn how to be an oustanding osteopathic physician at UNECOM.

You both should be getting a postcard from an orientation leader next month. Use this person (as well as Renee and I) as a resource. My best advice for now is to relax, enjoy your summer and spend time with family and friends. Good luck and see you in August!

Matt

7. Matt2BeADO

Matt2BeADO Member
    10+ Year Member

Dear Shannon,

Your first two years are pass/fail/high pass.
    High pass (100-90), pass (89-70), fail (less than 70). I am not sure how we are graded on our rotations, but I think it is a similar pass/high pass/fail system. Hope this helps. Please feel free to post or email me with questions!

Matt

8. Bandit

Bandit Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Hi Matt,
    DO they keep your high pass/pass/fail grades on record for future purposes such as residencies? I really like the non grading format, but worry about the consequences on securing residencies later on. Thanks for your time.

9. prefontaine

prefontaine Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Pre-clinical grades of applicants are not important (or carry very little weight) to most residency directors.

Find something else to worry about.

10. Bandit

Bandit Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I am sorry, but prefontaine, you don't have to be rude. I was just asking a question.

11. bobo

bobo Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Don't pay any attention to prefonatain. His/her posts are usually rude.