Unemployment plans? And exit ops? Why did you quit pharmacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lubeckd

Learner
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Say for example you cant find work in the pharmacy field anymore whats your plan? more education? I think there some sort of wave coming into IT now. And the IT people do not like it, people with big ego entering for a paycheck lol

Lets be real and say that in this lifetime we cant survive off one industry anymore and we will have to work more different jobs in this lifetime. same for pre pharms

A lot of grads from Canada and USA are unemployed at this moment

If you are not unemployed whats your exit ops?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
learn how to code python Java c++ and drill it day in day out. this alone will weed out 95+% pharmacy grads, especially those from diploma mills.
I am not concerned at all when CA has 6000 positions for data analytics and a couple thousands for software engineering.

Reactions: 4 users
Live off my new franchise

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Move to Estonia, commit computer crimes. I actually ran a very successful Nintendo 64 pirating empire back in the late 90s. Until I got a cease and desist and visit from law enforcement. Now with the power of VPNs and the wonder of third-world countries, I shall build an empire.

Reactions: 4 users
learn how to code python Java c++ and drill it day in day out. this alone will weed out 95+% pharmacy grads, especially those from diploma mills.
I am not concerned at all when CA has 6000 positions for data analytics and a couple thousands for software engineering.
Bro, Im just finish quant but realized I need like expert level stuff to get hired in a hedge fund. They hire a lot of phds in physics

I am working in plans to get into nursing home or hospital administration.

Well first thing I would do is to move to a beach town and stroll the coasts for 2 weeks while pondering the meaning of life. After that, idk...

Reactions: 1 users
Well first thing I would do is to move to a beach town and stroll the coasts for 2 weeks while pondering the meaning of life. After that, idk...

That is very hip... I like it. I’m fact there should be a government program to pay all expenses for the first 2 weeks of your unemployment to do just that.

actually doing alot of linear regressions. Ill do beta hedging, alphas, trading futures, Var and Cvar soon as well as kalman filters

Bro, Im just finish quant but realized I need like expert level stuff to get hired in a hedge fund. They hire a lot of phds in physics
or maybe financial engineering?

actually doing alot of linear regressions. Ill do beta hedging, alphas, trading futures, Var and Cvar soon as well as kalman filters
I thought quant needs to deal more with ARIMA/GARCH and time series?

That's why I will just stick with data science and/or software engineering. The exit plan needs to bring more job opportunities than pharm, and the more versatile the better.

nursing, dental, medicine, and whatever healthcare fields won't be a good alternative cuz 1. they are expensive or super expensive, both tuition and opportunity cost for earnings lost during lengthy study 2. the grass isn't necessarily greener on the other side. ask dental students how much debt they have incurred before officially practicing. 3. the payoff isn't necessarily as good as a lot of people thought. many family doctors, general dentists and internists only make ~200k or probably even less 4. they can be saturated as well.

aside from side gigs like flipping real estate, stock/options trading, digital marketing or game streaming etc, cs/ds might have the best ROI on education right now.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Planning on buy as much pharmacies as i can. One already in the works. If anyone needs a job, let me know later haha. No, not you, the ones who called me a troll for speaking out the truth. Yes, im salty lol.

Probably look for a gig as an Epic consultant and stick with that until I can figure something else out.

Start a YouTube channel....yeah, I know it's overdone and a long shot, but at least I'll have the free time to do it.

I'd probably transfer departments at work and become a secretary / office assistant.

My contingency plan is to sue everyone for everything. Pharmacy schools, ACPE, my classmates, my employer, everyone else's employer, coworkers, my roommate, my landlord, random people I meet on the street, Jeff Bezos, Trump, Regan, China, the federal reserve, baby boomers, etc. Can you sue the supreme court for Citizens United? I'll do it anyway. Or maybe just sue Citizens United? Doesn't matter if I win. Oh, and I'll tour the world as a world class DJ. What I would give to tell my 18-year-old self what I know now. It's tragic how we lie and shelter our youth from the real world thus enabling them to make detrimental decisions with lifelong consequences. "Just follow what you're passionate about and the money will follow," they said. I thought I was being practical by going into pharmacy. I remember telling myself I didn't want to go into computers because I didn't want to sit in a cubicle and wanted to work with people. I wish I worked in a cubicle sipping coffee now! I can't even imagine what it's like for those people getting a Phd in some liberal arts field. Best advice you could give to someone in gen Z right now is to tell them to not follow their dreams (or do it on the side) and instead pick a foolproof path to a comfortable life (computer science). The economy no longer supports growth in traditional careers and Santa isn't real either.

*mostly sarcasm*
seems like you would do well with acting classes......."unsheath thy bare bodkin" (Shakespeare)

My contingency plan is to sue everyone for everything. Pharmacy schools, ACPE, my classmates, my employer, everyone else's employer, coworkers, my roommate, my landlord, random people I meet on the street, Jeff Bezos, Trump, Regan, China, the federal reserve, baby boomers, etc. Can you sue the supreme court for Citizens United? I'll do it anyway. Or maybe just sue Citizens United? Doesn't matter if I win. Oh, and I'll tour the world as a world class DJ. What I would give to tell my 18-year-old self what I know now. It's tragic how we lie and shelter our youth from the real world thus enabling them to make detrimental decisions with lifelong consequences. "Just follow what you're passionate about and the money will follow," they said. I thought I was being practical by going into pharmacy. I remember telling myself I didn't want to go into computers because I didn't want to sit in a cubicle and wanted to work with people. I wish I worked in a cubicle sipping coffee now! I can't even imagine what it's like for those people getting a Phd in some liberal arts field. Best advice you could give to someone in gen Z right now is to tell them to not follow their dreams (or do it on the side) and instead pick a foolproof path to a comfortable life (computer science). The economy no longer supports growth in traditional careers and Santa isn't real either.

*mostly sarcasm*
study for a jd

• Haha
More than 90% of the pharmacists would have no clue what to do (other than looking for another job). Most pharmacists aren’t good with the money.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Say for example you cant find work in the pharmacy field anymore whats your plan? more education? I think there some sort of wave coming into IT now. And the IT people do not like it, people with big ego entering for a paycheck lol

Lets be real and say that in this lifetime we cant survive off one industry anymore and we will have to work more different jobs in this lifetime. same for pre pharms

A lot of grads from Canada and USA are unemployed at this moment

Electrical/computer engineering. Might not even wait for my job to get cut. With the way tech and robots are advancing and the fact that Gas won’t be here forever, you’ll always have a job and can make 6 figs

Electrical/computer engineering. Might not even wait for my job to get cut. With the way tech and robots are advancing and the fact that Gas won’t be here forever, you’ll always have a job and can make 6 figs
thats my investment right now. Other areas, but people are dont understand where my other investments are lying hahaha. they think Im just blowing money. just trying to make my money here now before I transition to tech and finance

Amazon product

Actually getting new books and reading through it. this is gear more towards hedge funds. But the question is it worth the time and knowledge investment?

I am knee-deep in tech. will give my preceptor a talk about how supervised learning, classification, can be used to solve some business questions.

I am knee-deep in tech. will give my preceptor a talk about how supervised learning, classification, can be used to solve some business questions.
Actually have some jealous software engineering and pharmacist friends seeing me pursue this route makes them jealous. If it's hard it's worth pursuing cause no one wants to do it ahahha. No saturation looool

Planning on buy as much pharmacies as i can. One already in the works. If anyone needs a job, let me know later haha. No, not you, the ones who called me a troll for speaking out the truth. Yes, im salty lol.
You really think the future of retail pharmacy is that bright? I'm over here wondering how long it will be til its all filled in a warehouse and delivered by drones to your doorstep.

I think franchising is a good option but risky.

Nice. Are you taking undergrad courses now or will you be full time? I was never good at Diffy Qs, applied math, circuits classes.

When I can't find pharmacist job, I'll work as a tech. I can find a dream tech job within a week, 10-min from home, no weekends, closed-door, with lunch break, PTO, etc. and need not to worry about job security ever again.

When I can't find pharmacist job, I'll work as a tech. I can find a dream tech job within a week, 10-min from home, no weekends, closed-door, with lunch break, PTO, etc. and need not to worry about job security ever again.
The job of a technician in a closed door pharmacy is probably the easiest to automate in all of pharmacy.

Actually have some jealous software engineering and pharmacist friends seeing me pursue this route makes them jealous. If it's hard it's worth pursuing cause no one wants to do it ahahha. No saturation looool
they made me jealous. I could have been one million dollar richer if I started cs years ago and never bothered with this pharmacy crap.

I have a real estate license and Life, Health and Variable annuity license. Dont use those license much because my job as phamacy manager takes up all my time. But in case of layoff, I can jump in right away to another job and prevent my wife and kids from being homeless.

You really think the future of retail pharmacy is that bright? I'm over here wondering how long it will be til its all filled in a warehouse and delivered by drones to your doorstep.

I disagree. This would depend on where you are practicing but not everyone is going to want their meds delivered by a drone or mailed. Again, as i said before, small town pharmacies that are out of the heat zones and not effected by massive competition with PBM owned pharmacies is probably the safest way right now.

I have no interest in going back to school at this age - I'll just take my management experience elsewhere or open a small business if the pharmacy thing is played out.

They would probably make some new accounts.... ;)

The job of a technician in a closed door pharmacy is probably the easiest to automate in all of pharmacy.

Nope, lots of drugs need to be manually counted, diluted, compounded

Move to Estonia, commit computer crimes. I actually ran a very successful Nintendo 64 pirating empire back in the late 90s. Until I got a cease and desist and visit from law enforcement. Now with the power of VPNs and the wonder of third-world countries, I shall build an empire.

When I was little I used to dream about having a suitcase with just 300 games and now when I am older I have access to thousands and thousands of games and movies. I could spend the rest of my life playing games and watching movies lol.

• Love