Dismiss Notice
Check out the new Application Assistant, where you can calculate your LizzyM score, see how you rank compared to other applicants, and see a list of schools where similar students were accepted.

Unethical situations in a meaningful activity

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical Allopathic [ MD ]' started by BrCo, 05.16.14.

1. SDN is made possible through sponsorships and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. BrCo

BrCo 2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student (Accepted)
    During one of my volunteering stents in the ED a physician allowed me to assist in a facial reconstruction of a patient who was a victim of an animal attack. In hindsight it was one of the most meaningful activities that occurred during this time. Is it wise to be describing an unethical situation such as this or should I go with another experience?

BrCo

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. breakintheroof

breakintheroof MS-Zero 2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    Interesting situation. What exactly were you called on to do? How did you come to the conclusion that it was unethical?

4. mmmcdowe

mmmcdowe Duke of minimal vowels Gold Donor SDN Moderator 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Verified
    Physician
    SDN
    Author
    Assuming it was something unethical, I would keep it vague enough that you can tell it without incriminating yourself.

Planes2Doc likes this.
  5. LizzyM

LizzyM the evil queen of numbers SDN Advisor 10+ Year Member

Academic Administration
    Verified
    Faculty
    Do keep in mind that licensed physicians may direct unlicensed assistants to perform certain tasks under their direct supervision.

6. DermViser

DermViser 5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Give me a break. You were assisting. This isn't "unethical".

Goro and WillburCobb like this.
  7. BrCo

BrCo 2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    So I apologize if this situation is not unethical. I assumed non medical personnel weren't allowed to assist in procedures. The physician stitched the underlying tissue while I followed behind him, stitching the skin.

8. Planes2Doc

Planes2Doc 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    According to what @LizzyM said, you should be okay with it assuming that this took place on US soil (which I'm assuming you did since you were volunteering in the ED). In fact, people on here will probably high five you for having such an experience. It's extremely rare to ever be able to touch the patient. When I volunteered in the ED, I couldn't even shake the patient's hand! Good for you.

On the contrary, if this took place during a medical mission trip, then you'd better forget about ever mentioning it.

orthogenes likes this.
  9. gonnif

gonnif Only 1425 Days Until Next Presidential Election Lifetime Donor 7+ Year Member

Non-Student
    That would be appear to unethical, at least inappropriate to me; you werent trained, certified, or licensed. You weren't a ER tech, nurse, or student in a training program. It wasnt just a physician asking to hold an instrument, or the skin. It could may raise the ire of some of the adcom members

10. DokterMom

DokterMom 2+ Year Member

Non-Student

The physician allowed you to stitch the skin on a HUMAN patient's face? Seriously?!:nailbiting:

11. LizzyM

LizzyM the evil queen of numbers SDN Advisor 10+ Year Member

Academic Administration
    Verified
    Faculty
    My father often recalls an old Irish physician in our community who would stitch a facial laceration and say dryly, "You may experience some cosmetic difficulties."

Last edited: 05.16.14
    Zelda840 and DokterMom like this.
  12. mmmcdowe

mmmcdowe Duke of minimal vowels Gold Donor SDN Moderator 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Verified
    Physician
    SDN
    Author
    Play it safe, don't specify stitching. It brings up to many questions even though legally there are certain ways it is acceptable. You won't gain any points from it anyways. It is the personal growth, not the technical skills, that you are selling.

13. BrCo

BrCo 2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Thanks everyone

14. Planes2Doc

Planes2Doc 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    And to quote @LizzyM , she says that if you can smell the patient, it's clinical experience. I like to think of that literally. ADCOMs aren't looking for you to master any skills. They just want you to see the clinical environment, and that's it.

And then comes my own rule of thumb... If you have to ask in a forum, it's probably not a good idea. Say that you were in the room with the physician, but by all means leave out the stitching part.

trino likes this.

About the ads