Unethical, Unprofessional, or just plain stupid??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The PIC at my store (and we're talking not a young guy) was dating a female customer and when she wanted to call it quits he would not take no for an answer. And, the PIC also disussed his relationship with this female customer with other customers when they asked him how he was doing. This past week the female customer moved 18 scripts (hers and a family member's) from our pharmacy (so far). Do you guys think this is unethical, unprofessional, or just plain stupid?? Oh, and when the transfer log printed out, the PIC writes on it, "Moved"----I guess to cover himself if the PDM sees it.

Members don't see this ad.

The PIC at my store (and we're talking not a young guy) was dating a female customer and when she wanted to call it quits he would not take no for an answer. And, the PIC also disussed his relationship with this female customer with other customers when they asked him how he was doing. This past week the female customer moved 18 scripts (hers and a family member's) from our pharmacy (so far). Do you guys think this is unethical, unprofessional, or just plain stupid?? Oh, and when the transfer log printed out, the PIC writes on it, "Moved"----I guess to cover himself if the PDM sees it.

Was he talking about her PHI with others? I mean plenty of rph's talk about their personal lives with customers (not that I think it is a prudent thing to do), and of course if he was dating a female she would have her rx's filled there while they were dating and subsequently fill them elsewhere upon breakup. I guess I don't see the problem unless he was talking about her while she was there or saying slanderous things or mentioning her by name or whatnot...

Maybe borderline pointless/stupid overall, but I wouldn't get your panties in a bunch over it.

Members don't see this ad :)
All of the above... that's a termination situation, imo.

Unless there was some sort of violation of HIPAA, I don't see the problem here...I mean, she isn't an employee so there is no conflict of interest and unless he was cutting her deals or giving her discounts of some sort that he shouldn't have, it doesn't seem like a huge "ethics" issue...

"Was he talking about her PHI with others? I mean plenty of rph's talk about their personal lives with customers (not that I think it is a prudent thing to do), and of course if he was dating a female she would have her rx's filled there while they were dating and subsequently fill them elsewhere upon breakup. I guess I don't see the problem unless he was talking about her while she was there or saying slanderous things or mentioning her by name or whatnot...

Maybe borderline pointless/stupid overall, but I wouldn't get your panties in a bunch over it"

She had been a long standing customer with the pharmacy. He was and has continued to call her by name to the other customers and discuss their "relationship" with very personal comments. So, although he may not have mentioned her medications he certainly has crossed the line on a personal level and violated a lot of integrity on his part and the company's. Our actions on the job are just not a reflection of ourselves but of the company we represent. I think he has violated the customer and the company. After the breakup, he now put a spin on his whining as to a "poor me" attitude and he obviously thinks he crossed the line also or he wouldn't be lying about the situation.

Last edited:
She had been a long standing customer with the pharmacy. He was and has continued to call her by name to the other customers and discuss their "relationship" with very personal comments. So, although he may not have mentioned her medications he certainly has crossed the line on a personal level and violated a lot of integrity on his part and the company's. Our actions on the job are just not a reflection of ourselves but of the company we represent. I think he has violated the customer and the company. After the breakup, he now put a spin on his whining as to a "poor me" attitude and he obviously thinks he crossed the line also or he wouldn't be lying about the situation.

People do stupid stuff after breakups. I don't see any issues that are specific to pharmacy though, sounds like he is a pig (it was the most polite term I could think of). I wouldn't say that being a pig is exactly unethical, more like immature. Unprofessional sure, but it would be unprofessional to share this information regardless if the ex is a patient of the pharmacy or not.

I don't think the ex being a patient adds any extra to the offense, unless he is specifically mentioning that, or giving out her PHI, or otherwise doing something he should not. I am somewhat torn about the fact that it sounds like he may have meet her through the pharmacy - do "we" have an obligation not to date our patients? I wouldn't know (that is a real thing, right?).

I don't see what the problem is. He is not disclosing PHI (name alone does not count). There is no rule against dating your customer, or talk about them to someone else. I would file this under the same thing as dating a classmate. It might not be a smart thing to do, but people do it. And when it turns ugly, people finally realized why it's generally a bad idea to date your classmate. :p Makes for some dumb drama, but nothing immoral or illegal about it.

This might actually be illegal in your state. In WA, we can't date patients until they've not been patients for a certain amount of time. It's actually in the law book. If it weren't past midnight, I'd look it up.

I don't know of anyone that's prosecuted on the law, but I think this woman probably should have transferred her prescriptions when she started dating the pharmacist. Did he check her prescriptions while he was dating her? In our pharmacy, techs and pharmacists don't work on their own or their families' meds.

And it's kind of TMI that this guy was telling other patients about his bad breakup and mentioning her by name and that she was a former patient. Your pharmacy might have a policy as well that employees can't date patients. Or they might need one after this...

This might actually be illegal in your state. In WA, we can't date patients until they've not been patients for a certain amount of time. It's actually in the law book. If it weren't past midnight, I'd look it up.

I don't know of anyone that's prosecuted on the law, but I think this woman probably should have transferred her prescriptions when she started dating the pharmacist. Did he check her prescriptions while he was dating her? In our pharmacy, techs and pharmacists don't work on their own or their families' meds.

And it's kind of TMI that this guy was telling other patients about his bad breakup and mentioning her by name and that she was a former patient. Your pharmacy might have a policy as well that employees can't date patients. Or they might need one after this...

Yes, he was actually checking her prescriptions and picking up and paying for them. All of the techs have said that he was discussing this patient by name with other customers and one of the techs a couple of days ago said that he was discussing his sleeping arrangements with the customer. When I asked her why he felt the need to discuss his sleeping arrangements with her (he is 42 years her senior and her boss), she said that he was attempting to bond with her (the tech). This really crosses the line professionally and if this company doesn't have a policy against this behavior, they certainly should have. I just don't want to be the one to tell but I really wish it would come to light. :smuggrin:

Yes, he was actually checking her prescriptions and picking up and paying for them. All of the techs have said that he was discussing this patient by name with other customers and one of the techs a couple of days ago said that he was discussing his sleeping arrangements with the customer. When I asked her why he felt the need to discuss his sleeping arrangements with her (he is 42 years her senior and her boss), she said that he was attempting to bond with her (the tech). This really crosses the line professionally and if this company doesn't have a policy against this behavior, they certainly should have. I just don't want to be the one to tell but I really wish it would come to light. :smuggrin:

If this is the kind of stuff that keeps you up at night and you feel a burning need to get involved in, you have WAY too much free time on your hands...

If this is the kind of stuff that keeps you up at night and you feel a burning need to get involved in, you have WAY too much free time on your hands...

Lol, I'm getting that feeling as well. Maybe the customer is really the poster, or her friend. Why taking everything so personally? Lol

Lol, I'm getting that feeling as well. Maybe the customer is really the poster, or her friend. Why taking everything so personally? Lol

Bingo, I think you hit the nail on the head...