unfilled programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medstudent2005

Welcome to the Jungle
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
yo, what up with all these unfilled spots this year? I heard something around like 50! That's incredible, esp for radiology. I dun like it.

Members don't see this ad.

Check out auntminnie.com. There's tons of discussions on this stuff. It basically came down to applicants applying and interviewing very broadly, and programs not recognizing that they needed to interview more or make a longer rank list.

samsoccer7 said:
Check out auntminnie.com. There's tons of discussions on this stuff. It basically came down to applicants applying and interviewing very broadly, and programs not recognizing that they needed to interview more or make a longer rank list.

which means then that radiology will probably not be as competitive next year. not that that's a bad thing.

Members don't see this ad :)
These things are cyclical. People last year got scared off b/c of the competitiveness. As a result, less "mediocre" (relatively) applicants. This year, people will think it was so easy to match, and more people will jump into the fray again. Basically, if you want to do it, go hard. If you're marginally interested, it's always tough to match, b/c they can see it.

samsoccer7 said:
i think this is very accurate. Basically programs not creating long enough rank lists. ER got arrogent a few years ago and the same thing happened. they did fine in the scramble of course. time will tell.