Unfilled psychiatry programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NervousPreMed87

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does any one know which top-level programs didn't fill this year?

I don't know anyone who didn't match so I can't see anyone's list...

Members don't see this ad.

Im also anxious to see this list. I'm shocked it hasn't leaked onto the Internet yet,

Members don't see this ad :)
At least our programs find out they're getting us tomorrow. Maybe they'll screw up the emails and email us instead...

Last edited:
[Moderator hat on]

It is a violation of the NRMP Match Agreement to have a list of unfilled positions if you are not going through SOAP. SDN is not permitting our membership to publicly post this information as a protection to the members. We know that AAMC regularly reads our site for violations of MCAT integrity (you'd be surprised how many questions get posted), it is not a stretch to think that the NRMP could be doing the same.

Please do not post the names of the programs with unfilled positions, solicit information about them, or offer to give that information to others via PM or any other method. I, or another moderator, will remove your post and your account will be infracted.

Once the NRMP releases the information- again, hopefully Monday- the subject is completely opened up for discussion.

[/moderator hat off, back to regularly scheduled celebrating]

I agree that everyone should stay as far from a list as possible. No bueno.

Last edited:
I was posting a formal announcement to all regarding naming specific programs with unfilled spots. This is coming up as an issue in several of the specialty forums.

There is a formal announcement in the NRMP/ERAS subforum of the Gen Res forum as well. This is an annual issue.

yes, no bueno...wait til Monday -- I assure you there are a couple surprises that almost make me wish I had gone thru the SOAP instead of the Match like someone mentioned weeks ago..

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, why are matched students so focused on which programs didn't fill?

Out of curiosity, why are matched students so focused on which programs didn't fill?

Two reasons:

1. Wondering if any of my programs might be short-staffed next year

2. If my, say, #5 didn't fill, then MOST LIKELY that's as far as I fell on my list. This is assuming that they ranked me. It could eliminate large chunks of possibilities, depending on who didn't fill...

Again, I don't care enough to seek out a match violation. I loved my whole list, so, yeah....

My apologies, I didn't realize it was a problem to ask for this information. I will wait for Monday. Good luck on Friday everyone !

I'm shocked it hasn't leaked onto the Internet yet,

I'm not. I've seen the offices of about five program coordinators during scamble and it's a madhouse of applicants being very irate, anxious, and overbearing on these poor people. I understand the emotional intensity of the situation for the applicants, but the coordinators become the focus of all this frustration.

Most of the people that know a program isn't filled are the the coordinator or people that directly work with him or her.

Two reasons:

1. Wondering if any of my programs might be short-staffed next year

2. If my, say, #5 didn't fill, then MOST LIKELY that's as far as I fell on my list. This is assuming that they ranked me. It could eliminate large chunks of possibilities, depending on who didn't fill...

Again, I don't care enough to seek out a match violation. I loved my whole list, so, yeah....
Well, #1 won't happen, all will fill in the scramble, but #2 makes sense. Thanks for explaining it to me...

Well, #1 won't happen, all will fill in the scramble, but #2 makes sense. Thanks for explaining it to me...

I wanted to see which programs I applied to and waited on for an interview because I thought they were great (or at least feasible in/near a great location) passed me up for an interview so I could have a chuckle at their expense now (yes, I know I'm very mature), to see if any of the programs I interviewed at didn't fill (so I could get some sort of flawed idea of how others viewed these programs - hopefully they weren't gonna be my top choices), and most of all - pure unadulterated intrigue/curiosity :D

I'm not surprised they haven't been posted on sdn, I figured mods would be all over it. It's the other less reputable forums that I figured would have some posts about it.

And for why I'm interested see digitlnoiz reason #2.

I wanted to see which programs I applied to and waited on for an interview because I thought they were great (or at least feasible in/near a great location) passed me up for an interview so I could have a chuckle at their expense now (yes, I know I'm very mature), to see if any of the programs I interviewed at didn't fill (so I could get some sort of flawed idea of how others viewed these programs - hopefully they weren't gonna be my top choices), and most of all - pure unadulterated intrigue/curiosity :D

Well your attempt to post the unfilled spots is potentially a serious Match violation (for you and your unmatched friend who passed it on to you). Yes the Mods ARE all over it, and they are not pleased. How about you wait out the next 48 hours without knowing, like the rest of your colleagues?

[Are we anal? Well just think of it as preparation for dealing with the anal attendings you will be encountering over the next 4 years... (IF you're lucky.) ]

I just thought I would point out (from the NRMP email sent out a week or so ago):
It is a violation of the Match Participation Agreement:
* to share the List of Unfilled Programs with anyone who did not register for The Match or who otherwise is eligible to receive it;

Duh. Ok, this next one is a biggie:
* to distribute or post any Match Week information from the secure Web site, including the List of Unfilled Programs and the Regional Match Statistics, to any Web site or non NRMP-related matching service;

Huh. So, we can't even talk about the regional stats. Wow. Didn't know that. Maybe we should all not do that.

Recognize as well that the terms of the match contract might be found unconscionable in a court, and the NRMP knows that. Given the lack of options that graduating medical students have for accessing residency spots, they are not so unbound with infinite power as they would have you believe. I wouldn't suggest challenging them, but there is strong disincentive for them to attack you and have an unfavorable court basically destroy their entire mode of operation. And if they attacked enough people who did not commit violations egregious enough to really warrant the ramifications of being banned from the match, they would be bound to find at least one court willing to bring them down.