Unfinished prereq at app time a problem?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xishi

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, first post!

I have a quick question for the more experienced members of this board. I just talked with my adviser today and she noticed I didn't have a prereq for med school and that I'm applying this summer. I go to school at UT austin and texas med schools require two bio labs. I have only one done as of right now but am planning to take the second one next fall. My question is, will this put me at a disadvantage if i haven't finished a prereq class at application/interview time? :(

Members don't see this ad.

No. As long as you are enrolled in the course you need, or even have a definite plan for how you'll meet the prereq's by the time you graduate, then you're fine. I was taking 2 of the 4 bio courses that Texas requires this past fall, and it didn't seem to be an issue anywhere I applied.

The only exception I found seemed to be Vanderbilt, where I was told that I needed to have all prereq's completed by the time I applied. If you're terribly concerned then just call the schools (except for the TMDSAS, which apparently doesn't want to talk to applicants - ever :p )

nope. not a problem

I am already accepted and will complete reqs this spring quarter. I am currently negotiating some of them with the adcom to see which classes count for what.

Members don't see this ad :)
As the others have said, this is not a problem. Also, on AMCAS you're asked to enter classes that you plan on taking during the next year, that way the adcoms can make sure that you will have completed all of the reqs by the time you graduate.

Hey I go to UT as well...do you already have two hours of bio labs because that meets the requirements. Not two separate classes. so if you took bio 205L or 206L you should be fine.

Like the others said, its not a problem. I hadn't taken a lick of physics when I applied, and still lacked 4 hours when I was accepted. Just make sure you finish!, because I hear that they will boot you at registration if you aren't done yet.

Thanks everyone who responded.

Fireorose, the only lab I've completed is microlab so I neither have 2 seperate labs nor two hours of lab :rolleyes: Are you sure it's two lab hours? I thought I read somewhere that it's two semesters of lab credit.