badgas

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 17, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
As I was searching in between the couch cushions for loose change to throw towards the ERAS apps I began to wonder which programs are worth applying to for a lowly DO student. Any programs that aren't worth applying to? Or better yet, which programs are known as "DO friendly?" I think this thread will help financial efficiency for many of the 4th year applicants. Thanks.

VentdependenT

You didnt build thaT
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Oct 3, 2003
Louisville
www.somethingawful.com
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
apply where ever you want an interview. its that simple.

now aint the time to worry about spending money. youve busted your tail and are in serious debt already just to reach this goal, so why skimp on applying to places? pointless and actually detrimental.

just start clicken away and let the visa bill be damned.

OP
B

badgas

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 17, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Good advice but unfortunately I can't afford to apply to EVERY program... I'll do as many as possible but there has to be SOME advice on which programs are just a waste of time to apply to for a DO. A little help someone?? Thanks.

About the Ads

ecCA1

10+ Year Member
Dec 1, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
Most of the Cali schools, if not all, will not be friendly to a DO unless they're AWESOME. Even then it's unlikely.

Columbia, Sinai, Cornell and possibily NYU will be tough, as well. On the other hand, Einstein's PD is a DO, so try that one.

I know of one DO in the CA2 class at Yale...

JP2005

HOPKINS GAS PASSER
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 20, 2001
NYC/Baltimore
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Come to hopkins ;)

they interview DO's every year

J

quark

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 15, 2003
Visit site
Status
badgas said:
As I was searching in between the couch cushions for loose change to throw towards the ERAS apps I began to wonder which programs are worth applying to for a lowly DO student. Any programs that aren't worth applying to? Or better yet, which programs are known as "DO friendly?" I think this thread will help financial efficiency for many of the 4th year applicants. Thanks.
Try Pitt. I've seen DO students during the interview season and and the current chief resident is a DO as well.

medstudent99

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 21, 2005
Status
Medical Student
i'm not a DO but i would apply everywhere...i'm not going to put myself out there but i've seen DO residents at top Cali programs. don't sell urself short.

fadedrebel

15+ Year Member
Oct 15, 2002
Visit site
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Induc(junc)tion said:
What kind of stats are they looking for on COMLEX and USMLE and GPA, etc.?

According to their website, >75% of the people they interviewed had greater than 223 step I with a median of 235, and the DOs had >600 COMLEX

supahfresh

un paradis du gangster
15+ Year Member
Dec 30, 2003
La Seychelles
www.physiciantravels.com
Status
Attending Physician
badgas said:
whats wrong with you dude/dudette? you can go anywhere you want. dont sell out because you think they wont take DOs. dont make me come over there and pull my tony robbins routine on you. spend the bucks on the applications. at least apply. then, once you get some interviews, you can start picking and choosing. but you gotta apply to where you want to go, not to where you think you may get in.

TabesDorsalis

10+ Year Member
Jul 16, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
supahfresh said:
whats wrong with you dude/dudette? you can go anywhere you want. dont sell out because you think they wont take DOs. dont make me come over there and pull my tony robbins routine on you. spend the bucks on the applications. at least apply. then, once you get some interviews, you can start picking and choosing. but you gotta apply to where you want to go, not to where you think you may get in.
....Yeah, otherwise you will get some guy with big teeth and acromegaly running around your house giving high-fives! :p

About the Ads