Unhybridized P Orbitals

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sanguinee

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
How many unhybridized P orbitals are on the central N of azide (N3- ion)?

3188_Q1143202_1.png

The answer is 2 unhybridized orbitals to participate in 2 π bonds, but I can't seem to wrap my head around this. I understand the bonds are sp, but was hoping someone could explain this further?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

What part of it don't you understand?

If you hybridize the central N to sp, that means you have two mutually orthogonal p orbitals left. So say you use px to hybridize. That leaves you with py and pz. Each of those can overlap with the corresponding p orbital on the adjacent nitrogen atom to form a pi bond. Note that these pi bonds are not in the same plane relative to each other - they only appear to be in the same plane because it's a 2D representation.

First, you find the steric # which is # of sigma bonds - # of lone pairs. The central N has 2 sigma bonds and 0 lone pairs, hence 2-0= 2.

2 corresponds to the hybridized sp orbital because you have 1 s orbital and 1 p orbital, so altogether you have 2 orbitals. Then, you find that there is only one p orbital used while there are 2 remaining p orbitals which ARE NOT hybridized and are empty.

One p orbital can participate in a pi bond and so can the other p orbital because they were not used and thus empty. Therefore, you find that there are indeed 2 pi bonds; 1 on the left N and the other on the right N.

I apologize. There should be a correction.

Steric # is formulated by taking the # of sigma bonds +# of lone pairs. In the above post, I wrote minus instead of plus. It should be PLUS.