You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
UNIC - Nicosia Vet Entry Sept 2023
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
UNIC is not an accredited veterinary school through the US or Canada if you weren’t aware
Yes, I'm aware. Thank you!UNIC is not an accredited veterinary school through the US or Canada if you weren’t aware
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
VetMed2024
New Member
Are you attending the Nicosia DVM program? If yes, can you please share your experience so far?Hello! I didn't see a thread for the University of Nicosia Veterinary School. I was just offered a place and am very excited! I am from Canada and would love to discuss moving to Cyprus and the program.
Yes, I am! So far, it's great. We have weekly practical visits, and the professors are excellent and care about individual needs. I'm not sure where you are applying from. However, I want to mention it seems that some countries have not recognized the program as it is yet to have a graduating class. This said, I would still choose UNIC.Are you attending the Nicosia DVM program? If yes, can you please share your experience so far?
Feel free to ask any other questions! 🙂
VetMed2024
New Member
Thank you so much for sharing your experience. I am from Alberta, Canada. As you have noted that some countries haven't recognized the program (i.e. Canada & US) therefore do you know if UNIC has any plans to have this DVM program listed with AVMA/ECFVG? I am assuming you are planning to come back to Canada to get licensed once graduated. My understanding is that graduate from a non-accredited schools can only register with NEB, to get licensed in Canada/US, if the school is on that AVMA/ECFVG list of schools. I was reviewing the ABVMA requirements (see link below) and reached out to ABVMA and that's how I learnt that school has to be listed with AVMA/ECFVG.Yes, I am! So far, it's great. We have weekly practical visits, and the professors are excellent and care about individual needs. I'm not sure where you are applying from. However, I want to mention it seems that some countries have not recognized the program as it is yet to have a graduating class. This said, I would still choose UNIC.
Feel free to ask any other questions! 🙂
Veterinarian - Alberta Veterinary Medical Association
ABVMA, Alberta Veterinary Medical Association,
Thanks again.
UNIC is working towards becoming accredited. I have heard so far that it won't be possible until there is a graduating class. The program was created so international students would graduate prepared to write the NAVLE and other exams for students from other countries. Halfway through the program, there is an option to write a test to give the student a good idea of their level of preparedness for the NAVLE. There are four Canadians and three Americans in my year. At this point, we are optimistic about returning and working in North America.
supershorty
Don't look so vexed, toots.
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
How exactly do they plan to do this? Halfway through an accredited curriculum, students still don't know a lot of the material covered by NAVLE.Halfway through the program, there is an option to write a test to give the student a good idea of their level of preparedness for the NAVLE.
The only way to know how your program is preparing people for NAVLE is to have people sit for the exam and see what the pass rate is.
@VetMed2024 I said this on the thread you started, but I really strongly discourage you from considering an unaccredited program. There are so many options that are at minimum ECFVG eligible - this program isn't even that. It's financially an extremely risky decision, much moreso than the inherent financial risk of going to vet school in general.
VetMed2024
New Member
Thank you!!How exactly do they plan to do this? Halfway through an accredited curriculum, students still don't know a lot of the material covered by NAVLE.
The only way to know how your program is preparing people for NAVLE is to have people sit for the exam and see what the pass rate is.
@VetMed2024 I said this on the thread you started, but I really strongly discourage you from considering an unaccredited program. There are so many options that are at minimum ECFVG eligible - this program isn't even that. It's financially an extremely risky decision, much moreso than the inherent financial risk of going to vet school in general.
VetMed2024
New Member
UNIC is working towards becoming accredited. I have heard so far that it won't be possible until there is a graduating class. The program was created so international students would graduate prepared to write the NAVLE and other exams for students from other countries. Halfway through the program, there is an option to write a test to give the student a good idea of their level of preparedness for the NAVLE. There are four Canadians and three Americans in my year. At this point, we are optimistic about returning and working in North America.
Ok, I think it will take time to become accredited however to get listed with AVMA/ECFVG seems to be more straightforward process as long as Government of Cyprus recognizes this program and allow graduates to practice in Cyprus without any limitations.
ECFVG policies and procedures - AVMA ECFVG®-listed veterinary colleges
To be eligible to enroll in the ECFVG certification program, an individual must be a graduate of, or final-year student at, an AVMA-listed veterinary college.
Did you complete the undergrad before joining the program or right after high school?
Thanks.
I did complete an undergrad, however, many of my classmates did not!Ok, I think it will take time to become accredited however to get listed with AVMA/ECFVG seems to be more straightforward process as long as Government of Cyprus recognizes this program and allow graduates to practice in Cyprus without any limitations.
![]()
ECFVG policies and procedures - AVMA ECFVG®-listed veterinary colleges
To be eligible to enroll in the ECFVG certification program, an individual must be a graduate of, or final-year student at, an AVMA-listed veterinary college.www.avma.org
Did you complete the undergrad before joining the program or right after high school?
Thanks.
Ok, I think it will take time to become accredited however to get listed with AVMA/ECFVG seems to be more straightforward process as long as Government of Cyprus recognizes this program and allow graduates to practice in Cyprus without any limitations.
![]()
ECFVG policies and procedures - AVMA ECFVG®-listed veterinary colleges
To be eligible to enroll in the ECFVG certification program, an individual must be a graduate of, or final-year student at, an AVMA-listed veterinary college.www.avma.org
Did you complete the undergrad before joining the program or right after high school?
Thanks.
American Association of Veterinary Medical Colleges welcomes 12 schools for membership - AAVMC
MEDIA CONTACT: Susan Leigh, Director for Marketing and Communications Phone: 202/371-9195 x171 Email: [email protected] WASHINGTON, D.C., January 31, 2024 — The American Association of Veterinary Medical Colleges (AAVMC) has recently welcomed 12 new institutions for membership. The Universidad...
UNIC is now listed as a provisional member. I hope this helps 🙂
Similar threads
- Replies
- 3
- Views
- 446
- Replies
- 1
- Views
- 307
- Replies
- 1
- Views
- 441