Uniformed Services secondary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Neuro27

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
From the email, it said

"...return them by postal mail within 3 weeks..."

but then it also said,

"...Completing this application late in the cycle could place a candidate at a severe disadvantage..." which kind of implies that you can submit it even after 3 weeks

So do you HAVE TO send it in 3 weeks? any opinions from others who also applied to USUHS?

Members don't see this ad.

Neuro27 said:
From the email, it said

"...return them by postal mail within 3 weeks..."

but then it also said,

"...Completing this application late in the cycle could place a candidate at a severe disadvantage..." which kind of implies that you can submit it even after 3 weeks

So do you HAVE TO send it in 3 weeks? any opinions from others who also applied to USUHS?

I applied and was accepted last year. I'm not sure if they won't look at the application if it's not received in the 3 weeks, but I wouldn't chance it. Plus, from what I remember, the secondary application isn't too bad, and makes you think about the whole military medicine thing, which you'd be expected to be very familiar with for the interviews.
I chose to attend a different med school, but I have nothing but respect for the school and the entire process. If you go for an interview, they treat you very well, and really spend a lot of time discussing the pros AND cons of military medicine. They want you to be sure about it as much as you want to be sure.

I received secondary as well.
For the letter of recommendation part, I know that all the letters won't be ready to be mailed until mid-august.
Do you think I can just mail other supplemental materials and send letters later?

Members don't see this ad :)
kyneuromania said:
I received secondary as well.
For the letter of recommendation part, I know that all the letters won't be ready to be mailed until mid-august.
Do you think I can just mail other supplemental materials and send letters later?
You can send the secondary now and letters later.

This is from the instructions document, "DO NOT WAIT FOR LETTERS OF RECOMMENDATION TO MAIL THE SUPPLEMENTARY MATERIALS."

But you do have to send in the "Checklist for Letters of Recommendation" where you list the people who are writing the rec letters. So if you haven't already, you have to know at least who you will be asking.

I have 3 letters but do not have clinical rec letter, which they require. So I'm not sure whether I should try to shadow someone as soon as possible and get a rec letter (send 3 weeks+) or just explain why I couldn't get clinical rec letter (and send now)

Neuro27 said:
I have 3 letters but do not have clinical rec letter, which they require. So I'm not sure whether I should try to shadow someone as soon as possible and get a rec letter (send 3 weeks+) or just explain why I couldn't get clinical rec letter (and send now)

I'm thinking through this one myself. I've been shadowing, but I'm reluctant to ask for an LOR for two reasons:
1) They've been remarkably kind and thoughtful already, and I don't want to impose still more.
2) I really don't know what they could say. They could speak to my manner and professionalism (ie, my ability to listen respectfully and unobtrusively and save my questions for the right time) but they certainly couldn't evaluate my intelligence or potential to make a good physician at all.

I am finally writing personal statement for this school and I was wondering whehter you guys use font size 10 as it is in the form or 12 to fill that space.

kyneuromania said:
I am finally writing personal statement for this school and I was wondering whehter you guys use font size 10 as it is in the form or 12 to fill that space.

I used 10 because that is what the form was - and because it was double-spaced anyway (check the instructions) , so it was easy enough to read. For what it is worth....