Uninterrupted chest compressions 'feasible' during shock delivery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pseudoknot

Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I guess this is yet another reason to wear gloves during CPR :eek:

http://www.medwire-news.md/38/74943...pressions_feasible_during_shock_delivery.html

Circulation 2008; 117: 2510-2514
MedWire News: Rescuers can continue with chest compressions during shock delivery in patients undergoing emergency external defibrillation, US research suggests.

Mock rescuers who compressed the chests of 43 patients receiving external biphasic shocks for elective cardioversion or electrophysiological study were exposed to low levels of leakage current, report Michael Lloyd and colleagues from Emory University in Atlanta, Georgia.

Delivering uninterrupted chest compressions during shock delivery could improve cardiopulmonary resuscitation outcomes, they say.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's going to be hard to convince people to do this, but if it IS safe, why not? Then, you only need to get off the chest for 2-3 seconds to take a look at the rhythm and confirm it is shockable. In my area we already compress while the machine is charging and only get off the chest to analyze + deliver the shock.

I want to know who volunteered to participate in this study? When I was a kid my brother got a jolt of electicity when he touched a nail in the wall that must have penetrated some electrical wiring. When he told me he just got shocked from the nail I, of course, went ahead and touched it, too. I learned me lesson after that: don't touch anything that may zap you with electricity. It has worked well so far.