Working PT as an EMT during premed?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Torojon

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any experienced with this? I'm current an EMTB and i'm trying to decide on whether to start my first semester of premed or get my EMT-I so I can work PT during premed.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Nope, never worked part-time. I DID work full-time though...did you have a specific question? It sucks! :D You never have time to go out with all your friends, you don't have enough time to study 'cause you're always getting interupted with calls...on the plus side you get to make money and have a ton of fun!!

Nate.

Worked part-time in undergrad and medical school. It's not all that hard to do. Juggling EMT-I and undergrad may be challenging (depends on curriculum), but also very doable.

Nope, never worked part-time. I DID work full-time though...did you have a specific question? It sucks! :D You never have time to go out with all your friends, you don't have enough time to study 'cause you're always getting interupted with calls...on the plus side you get to make money and have a ton of fun!!

Nate.

My question was more about being able to maintain "medical school acceptance" grades while working. I understand that it depends on the person, but it's good to know that it's doable..

Thank you very much for the responses everyone!

My question was more about being able to maintain "medical school acceptance" grades while working. I understand that it depends on the person, but it's good to know that it's doable..

Honestly, it depends on your call volume more than anything else. I do it though, in fact I upgraded from part to full time because I wanted the health insurance benefits (and extra money)....it's doable. It sucks...but it's doable.

I got my EMT-B cert while I was doing my undergrad, at night through the university. After that I worked a few nights and weekends during the school year for beer money.

After graduating college I got my paramedic cert/license while taking part-time post-bacc pre-med requirements. Working full time as a medic now while I study for the MCAT.

Working EMS, especially as a paramedic, consistently reaffirms and solidifies my interest in medicine. It keeps me going when times get rough which, for the not-so-scientifically-inclined such as myself, is fairly often. Do it, just make sure to keep things in perspective and do not loose sight of your ultimate goal.

Good luck. :D

It's definitely doable if you can find a place to work with a low call volume. I worked for AMR all through college and the branch i worked for had a bad slump for about a year, when i could either sleep or do schoolwork while waiting for a call. There were plenty of shifts where i'd do 1 call in 8 hours, and spend the rest of the time studying. But once they got busy again, that picnic was over.

I'm going to get my EMT-I and take a premed req also. I've just been so anxious to start premed. But, what's 3 months anyway?

I live in Vegas... so, I don't know about the low call volumes out here. We have two private ambulatory companies, AMR & Medicwest. I've done a few rotations and some areas are noticeably more busy than others.

Work for a rural station/service. Win-win situation:

No calls = You're stuck at the station and have infinite time to study for courses, as long as you can keep away from the Internet and TV.

Calls = You get to go out and possibly do something interesting.

Oui/non?

Another question: Do you guys think EMT-I will help with premed and/or medical school?

Another question: Do you guys think EMT-I will help with premed and/or medical school?

Both, although the former much more than the latter. You don't learn that much information in EMT school that will help you in medical school...EMTs are trained to provide basic skills such as splinting, control of bleeding, airway monitoring, vital signs, treatment for diabetes-related emergencies, allergy emergencies, etc....the only real way it will help you in medical school and beyond is that you will already be familiar with basic medical terminology, basic emergency medicine, and you will actually have the patient care experience that most pre-meds just lie about having on their AMCAS.

As far as pre-med goes, obviously it satisfies clinical experience, and if you volunteer as an EMT, you're also getting volunteer time in as well so you're killing two birds with one stone. Most people get their EMT to work, however...I can't afford to do this stuff for free. I am also under the impression that emergency medicine residency programs give a little preference to people with past experience in emergency medicine or pre-hospital emergency care, IE EMTs or medics, so if you want to be an ER doc, then it may help you a little down the road as well by giving you "street cred".

What do I's do in your state? Some topics in the first two years (cardiology and ECGs, some pulmonology, some pharm) were easier with the ALS background. Also, basic clinical skills (vitals, patient assessment and interview, IVs) can be helpful in 3rd and 4th year.

That's good to hear; I wanted to do EM later on in life. EMT-I's in my state (NV) do IV's, some drugs, advanced airway, ECG, etc.

I want to get my EMT-I to put myself through premed, i'm still young and live at home, but all of my other expenses are out of my pocket--as they should be. After experiencing my love for medicine, I really can't see myself doing any other kind of work.

I spoke with my isntructors and they told me the nights around here aren't too bad, usually around 8 calls per shift. I'm not sure how that ranks up nationally though.

I'd say, Nope. (I was a medic before med school... so even at that level...)

For EMT-I, it depends on how you are trained. If you only start IVs, Tube, and do (more or less) the ACLS drugs, that really wouldnt help you anywhere. IVs and ETI is not a med student skill. The drugs you learn in EMT-I will be a drop in the bucket, since you have to learn hundreds of drugs in 2nd year of med school.

That said, the EMS experience that helps the most of med school, is being proficient at is taking a History. Being able to take a good history is invaluable, and you can take a darn good one as an EMT-B.

So Id say, dont waste time by going to EMT-I school, and then having a more difficult job in the field.

Work as an EMT-B, pay your bills, study pre-med and get a great GPA.

Read a med school level book on H&P such as Bates, and read about the calls you have in a medical textbook (Harrisons). Next time you bring a pt in with abdominal pain, examine the abdomen like a physician should, and take a complete history. Do some of the tests for appendicitis, ask questions to rule in/out problems with the biliary system, pancreas, etc.

The best preparation you can get out of EMS is being able to do a good H&P, and be able to come up with a complete differential. You dont need to be an EMT-I or Medic to do that. Save your energy, work hard in undergrad and get a 4.0. Make the best out of your opportunities as an EMT-B, because the most important and helpful skill to master is a BLS skill (H&P) and BE SAFE

It also depends on what "part time" means. I ski patrolled in college, and was working patrol 12 hrs a week without too much problem. I also worked as and EMT after college and while taking only one class (bio chem) I found my self really squeezed for time working 36hr a week (3 12s). Also call volume is clearly important.
But I think the OPs question is less about working as an EMT than delaying taking pre med classes. I would say don't delay taking the classes if you want to be premed. It's already a pretty long road, and you want to figure out pretty quickly if you like pre med classes or if they make you miserable.