Unique Internships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

studyinghard

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody,
I was wondering what ophthalmology residencies have unique internships associated with their program. I looked up MUSC, for example, and they had a surgical internship tailored around the Oph. resident with 4 months of ophtho and 1 mo. of oculoplastics. Any other cool internships out there?

- studyinghard

Members don't see this ad.

Mississippi gives you I think 4 months of ophtho, I think you mainly just hang out in the resident clinic and pre-op patients mainly. Someone correct me if I am wrong as I interviewed there a while ago. I also really liked MUSC's intern year, although the rest of the year is a surgery prelim year!!

My soapbox, after finishing a year of prelim medicine is that I wish ophtho would take control of their intern year like ortho and ENT did in the past. My suggestion would be still do some medicine, say 6-8 mths and then we could have at least 4 extra months on ophtho. Wouldn't help me any, but I think overall it would make things better, except for those few that get the off the wall cush transitional years with golf course memberships.