Unique re-applicant situation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MarginalUtility23

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all! I'm in a pretty tough situation and wanted to seek the advice of the wonderful /premed community.

I am a Caribbean medical student at ROSS and am not doing well. I did not pass first semester and currently am attempting to repeat the semester but will likely not pass this time either. I will be withdrawing in the coming days so that I do not waste any more time and money to try to fix grades that are essentially unsalvageable at this point.

I wanted to seek advice on what to do next. I believe my academic issues stem from less than stellar performance in the pre-med, pre-req courses which has caused me to suffer in subsequent upper level courses due to having a weak knowledge base. I believed that those courses would not matter and that med school would be easy, boy was I wrong! It is not a place where you can effectively cram. The sheer amount of content and memorization required is something I have never excelled with before. I know that I can improve this with practice and time; I did not have adequate time in med school. I was stupid to choose this route, instead of becoming a stronger student I took the easy way out. My GPA was lower than DO's and MD's would consider, but with an upward trend. My MCAT was also below average, mainly due to not having that strong of a knowledge base of the basic sciences.

I am confident that I can take some time and learn the material I need to with the help of friends, Khan Academy, etc. then take several upper level science courses at a local university and obviously try to succeed. I also believe that I can devote about 6 months to study for the MCAT and receive a competitive score. I also know several doctors that I can go back and shadow as well before I reapply to US schools. I know that my study habits have significantly during my time here and am confident that I can apply them for future good.

So basically, what should I do? I want to reapply to US MD and DO schools and am willing to work for it. So far, I sense that there is not a CHANCE IN HELL that a student who ever stepped foot on a Caribbean medical school's campus should ever let the words "United States medical school" or "doctor" enter their mind again. That I would be better off burying my worthless corpse beside the highway. Why is this? If someone is willing to put in this level of work and has the results to show for it, wouldn't they be accepted? I feel like this experience has built character and maturity that only this type of failure could have. I would love to go to a doctor who grew as a human being and learned how to succeed than one who was born with a 4.0 and a 528.

Thank you for reading this, any advice is appreciated!!

Members don't see this ad.

What was your cGPA and sGPA from your undergraduate level courses ? What was your MCAT score and breakdown ? Do you have any physician shadowing or clinical volunteering hours ?

cGPA was 3.0, sGPA was 3.1, MCAT score was 491. I can partially attribute the low MCAT score to realizing that my passport was expired as my license was in the process of being renewed, the night before the exam. :shrug: I scored higher on practice exams and am confident that I can raise this.

I have several hundred hours of clinical hours from research, volunteering, shadowing, and working as a medical scribe.

Status
Not open for further replies.