Unique Scramble Scenario... Please Advise?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

krust3

medical vagabond
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
"I know this guy..."

interviewed at a program, ranked it 2nd on his list and is scrambling. He gambles, shows up today at that program, they have one spot unfilled and tell him to return tomorrow for an interview.

so, obviously this program didn't even rank him because he would have matched there.

#1 what do you make of this scenario?

#2 what's a scramble interview like? most are via phone anyway right, so is "in person" an advantage maybe?

#3 will the topic of them not ranking him at all be broached? will they ask where he ranked them even?

(more details, this place fairly routinely doesn't fill. he's a 250ish step1/2 from the caribbean with research pubs)

sure appreciate any input to help the clear the mind before tomorrow's interivew.

good luck all!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Not sure about the answers to numbers 2 and 3, but I think your assessment of the situation is correct...barring some mistake in either of your rank lists they obviously didn't rank you on their list. If the ranking topic comes up in your interview, I would just approach it humbly and honestly.

The thing I am confused about is having you come back on Wednesday for an interview. Most programs would be trying to fill their spots with a warm body ASAP. Sending you away for a later interview when you're standing right there sounds like a temporizing measure to me...hopefully you don't show up tomorrow to find out they filled the spot in the meantime. (Not trying to scare you, but this IS a program that didn't put you on their rank list so I wouldn't put it past them to pull something like that.)

I don't know. I wouldn't try to overanalyze it. Just show up and be pleasant. If they accept you fine, if they don't fine too. In the meantime keep calling all the other programs with spots.

Members don't see this ad :)
"I know this guy..."

Maybe all is well that ends well if you get the spot, but honestly that seems lame. They agree to interview you tomorrow, but they're very likely actively trying to fill that spot (or in the least review all current apps) today. It doesn't make sense, but make the most of your opportunity.

you guys were right! Shady SOB's for sure!

not only did they give away the advanced spot he was going for, but they also suggested that they would give him a categorical spot if he were somehow able to get out of his prelim obligation. NRMP violation fo sho:eek:

here's another question... he did well on step 1 & 2 (248/254) but didn't put much effort into step 3 assuming he'd match. the result: 218.

will that low step 3 hurt his chances if/when he applies next match?

this is just ridiculous....why are people with 230+ and 240+ step 1 scores not matching? doesn't add up at all:scared:

this is just ridiculous....why are people with 230+ and 240+ step 1 scores not matching? doesn't add up at all:scared:

The USMLE score is one part of an application. Despite what some may think, a high score does not always overcome other aspects of the application process at programs that have other choices. There have been scenarios where someone with 250+ gets "no ranked" because their personality is abrasive or otherwise undesirable.
IMHO, the step scores have too much emphasis in the application process. It has gotten to be that way since med schools give almost no other way to distinguish top students from the bottom dwellers. Schools with no class rank, all pass/fail classes, useless "feel good" Dean's letters, all of the LORs look the same, etc make it very hard to tell who is quality and who is not. The schools are not doing the students any favors.
The interview is just about all that is left. I suspect the OP did not impress during the interview. The program made the decision that they would rather take their chances on the scramble than to rank that candidate. That is their choice and the decision they are dealing with at the moment. To suspect that their feelings would change with regard to that candidate is not very logical. It would be best not to string them along and I am not sure what another interview would have done to help.
Tough situation for this candidate and I wish them the best.

dude went to a carib med school so it's not that hard to believe. if I was a pd i'd probably rather have an open spot

dude went to a carib med school so it's not that hard to believe. if I was a pd i'd probably rather have an open spot

i understand that.

as a DO student, i know that there is a bias against carrib students and in some cases, DO students as well....but thats normally when its a US allo student with a 225 vs carrib/DO 225...not someone with such a high score, yknow?

on the other hand, i don't think PDs care that much - if you're good, you're good, right?

Haha... what kind of comment is this? Ignorant statements like this is why you will never be a PD. :rofl: