Unique Situation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DualMajor

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the Input

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Ok, So I graduated from college 2 and a half years ago with my bachelors degree in marketing. I literally just skated by assuming I would be rich one day for something I didn't work for. My GPA when I graduated was 2.39, so don't judge. I got a crappy office job and my parents cut me off. After about 6 months a friend who had graduated in the same semester as me convinced me to volunteer at the hospital once a week. With that said, I realized I was but on Earth to help people. I Started going back to school a year and a half ago and with my new found motivation, I have gotten a 4.0 In my past 39 credit hours (all my classes after graduating). Assuming this trend continues, and I do good on my PCAT, what are the chances of me getting into pharmacy school? Thanks

If you don't want people to judge, don't give out extraneous info!:nono:

Find a school that offers academic foregiveness like USN or a school that doesn't look at your overall GPA and you've got a fighting chance.

I think your chances are good if you get a solid PCAT score. You have a unique story and you can use it to your advantage. I was in a similar situation with bad grades and even a medical withdrawal in my first two years of undergrad and then I realized I needed to shape up my act and got good grades for the next two years (I am currently a 2nd year pharmacy student btw).

Also I am assuming most of these recent good grades are in your pre-req classes so that IMO is the more important GPA opposed to your overall.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had a similar situation. I had mediocre grades in my college work from years ago but, upon returning to school, I have maintained a high GPA. I addressed the earlier course work and explained what has changed between then and now in my personal statement. I think your chances are good as long as you address the issue.

I think your chances are good if you get a solid PCAT score. You have a unique story and you can use it to your advantage. I was in a similar situation with bad grades and even a medical withdrawal in my first two years of undergrad and then I realized I needed to shape up my act and got good grades for the next two years (I am currently a 2nd year pharmacy student btw).

Also I am assuming most of these recent good grades are in your pre-req classes so that IMO is the more important GPA opposed to your overall.

What's unique about this story? The OP admittedly slacked off while in college, and now wants a second chance. I get calls from people in this exact situation every day.

I had some mistakes on my transcript from my first attempt at college that brought my GPA down, but since I went back to college as an adult, I have had a 4.0. My interviewer and I talked about this, and he said that the adcom would weigh my recent grades much more heavily than what I did ten years ago.

If you can keep going on the same track you are on, you probably have a decent shot (provided you meet the minimum GPA) at getting in somewhere. Just make sure that this only issue you have is the poor early grades - make sure everything else is solid before you apply.

What's unique about this story? The OP admittedly slacked off while in college, and now wants a second chance. I get calls from people in this exact situation every day.

Agreed.
If anything, you need to make yourself a stronger applicant in other areas to compete with the other people that messed up in the beginning and are now kick-@$$ (like PinkSparkly) with 4.0s after returning to school raising families AND holding down a full-time job.

I have BS in bioinformatics a 3.22 GPA ,3.5 sGPA with a low PCAT score . should I be discorag from applying since I have a very low PCAT ?

I have BS in bioinformatics a 3.22 GPA ,3.5 sGPA with a low PCAT score . should I be discorag from applying since I have a very low PCAT ?

No one can really tell you unless you tell us what "low" means. Your GPA seems fine & you have a degree, if you have some strong LORs, good PS, and some ECs or pharm experience, I'd apply.

If anything, you can always try schools who don't require the PCAT, although the majority of them are in CA and I believe the deadlines have already passed for that. But yeah, check around since there's a few schools who will bypass the PCAT if you have a degree etc.

Thanks for all of the positive replies. Yes, all of the classes that I have taken are sciences and math. I only have a few more classes left and I will be taking the PCAT next October. We'll see what happens

I'm wondering the same thing. Sounds like SSDD to me :confused: I'm not saying don't go for it, but I certainly don't see it as an advantage at all. Basically you'll have to work extra hard to overcome crappy grades from your first degree.