United Airlines & Suit bags?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tinkerbelle

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Have any of you traveled with United Airlines and taken your suit bag onboard? I know they have a size limit - 45 inches (h + l + w). My suit bag is 53 in. But does it matter if it will be hung up somewhere? And does United even have a place to hang suits?

Thanks for any info :)

- tinkerbelle

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on what type of plane you will be on. If your bag is a hard garment bag, then if it doesn't fit, they will check it from the plane and you will have to pick it up in baggage claim. If it is soft, it will be no problem...if they won't hang it, just fold it in half in the overhead. When I travel with a suit, I pack my pants very neatly and then wear my suit coat as a blazer and then hang it or fold it in the overhead on top of everyone's bag.

I'm not sure about the above poster, but I fly on United airlines constantly, (and not in first or business class), and every time they have offered to , or I have asked, and they hang my suit in the first class hangar area (on airbus or smaller boeing planes, including 757). On 767's, they will hang it in the area between business and economy class.
No worries on United.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh ok. For a moment I was worried they'd throw my suit with all the other luggage :) Thanks :)

tinkerbelle said:
Oh ok. For a moment I was worried they'd throw my suit with all the other luggage :) Thanks :)

Not with United. However, if you fly Southwest, you will have to stuff it in the overhead bin.

sorry to hijack this thread. was hoping you could offer some advice. i'm doing a 3 wk interview trip and was hoping to do it all with carryon, a big purse, and a suit bag. do you think the airlines will make me check one of the above in? i'm flying to a bunch of cities (staying only 2 days in each) and am paranoid about checking stuff in b/c it might get lost. anyone try to get away with 3 items?

tinkerbelle said:

I fly quite a bit during any given year--so I feel I am pretty qualified to answer the question and gave you a pretty honest answer. If you are on a business flight where many people have garment bags/carry ons, sometimes you are SOL and they put your stuff in the belly of the plane. Just try to get on the plane as soon as you can so that things don't get full and you can find a place. Be nice to the Flight Attendant and it shouldn't be a problem.

runner1979 said:
I fly in excess of 100k miles a year for work--so I feel I am pretty qualified to answer the question and gave you a pretty honest answer. If you are on a business flight where many people have garment bags/carry ons, sometimes you are SOL and they put your stuff in the belly of the plane. Just try to get on the plane as soon as you can so that things don't get full and you can find a place. Be nice to the Flight Attendant and it shouldn't be a problem.

yah, that is great advice--get on ASAP, preferably in case the hangar isn't full (though there is usually a lot of space), and a smile to the flight crew always helps.

wxl31 said:
sorry to hijack this thread. was hoping you could offer some advice. i'm doing a 3 wk interview trip and was hoping to do it all with carryon, a big purse, and a suit bag. do you think the airlines will make me check one of the above in? i'm flying to a bunch of cities (staying only 2 days in each) and am paranoid about checking stuff in b/c it might get lost. anyone try to get away with 3 items?

Give it a try--worst thing that happens, they make you check one of the bags. Plan ahead for this and have everything you would need for the next interview in the bag you keep with you (i,e. necessary toiletries, socks, belt etc.). That way, if your bag is lost, you can still go to your interview and hopefully your bag will be delivered during the day.