Units in a days work

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ethilo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm applying for jobs, mainly eat-what-you-kill model places. I'm trying to get a ballpark sense of how many units one generates with how much work. The conclusion I have is it is all over the place and hard to predict. Can anyone give a rough guide to me about how many units coincides with different examples of a day of work? Or also how many units are made on average in a month with a certain schedule?

Members don't see this ad.

Very hard to say how many units per x hours of work. Depends hugely on what cases you’re doing. 50 units/day would be a nice average though. The best thing to do to evaluate each practice would be to download a coder app like Abeo. Ask to see a weeks worth of schedules and bill em out and see how many units each guy is turning on average.

Still though, payer mix is king. A group with a strong blended unit can work half as much and make more than a group with a garbage payer mix. Don’t forget to factor in any stipends.

Scheduling is also very important in an eat what you kill model. Who makes the schedule? Does everyone get a fair crack at the high unit value cases?

Payer mix and scheduling trump overall volume.

Working a reasonable full time schedule should put you around 10-12k units/year (MD only). Maybe closer to 15k if you really bust your ass or do a ton of cardiac.

They should let you know the average dollar/unit , the amt of units each partner is generating a month, and how the numbering/late/calls per month. You should be able to calculate how much you’re grossing per month.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
They should let you know the average dollar/unit , the amt of units each partner is generating a month, and how the numbering/late/calls per month. You should be able to calculate how much you’re grossing per month.

They should tell exactly you what they are making and how much they are working. Any opacity or evasiveness is a red flag.

Reactions: 1 user
250 units a week is a good practice
300-350 a week is a busy practice

$40 a unit is good
$50 a unit is excellent
$60 a unit is amazing

For those who do busy ACT practice supervising 3-4 rooms, how many units are you doing a year? From this and other threads it seems like most MD only groups are doing 10-15k but I didn't see much on those who supervise.

For those who do busy ACT practice supervising 3-4 rooms, how many units are you doing a year? From this and other threads it seems like most MD only groups are doing 10-15k but I didn't see much on those who supervise.

How many units: if you're supervising? If you're doing your own cases?

Triple MD only, then subtract CRNA salary.

Reactions: 1 user