Univ of North Carolina - PostBac

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Alvarez13

PGEEE2 mediates FEEEVER
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any info on the University of North Carolina @ Greensboro (http://www.uncg.edu/bio/pages/post-bac_med.html)? Anyone complete the program or know someone who did?

It's not as well known as some of the other postbacs out there, but I figure I might have a better chance at upping my GPA, spending more time preparing for the MCAT and getting some research/volunteer work in without being super stressed by classes. I think the main reason though, is while I work in the day and do classes at night, I'll gain NC residency and maybe have a shot at getting into UN @ Chapel Hill (dream school). I just learned that UNC is actually composed of a bunch of colleges in NC, (http://www.northcarolina.edu/content.php/campus/campusmap.htm) so maybe Chapel Hill will dig me going to they're sister school.

What do you guys think? I'm still gonna apply to Northwester and Univ of Penn like I originally planned, but this is starting to sound like a good option too...

Members don't see this ad.

Are the classes offered at night at UNC?
I hope so. The guy who heads the program is out of the office and won't be back until this Wed, so I'll have to try calling again then.

I went and visited UNC at Greensboro. I thought the school may make a good choice also. I was suprised at how small a city Greensboro was, I was expecting something similiar to Philly, but it is way smaller and alot better. I am kind of keeping UNC as a back up plan as I also would have to obtain NC residency first(it is a substantial difference in tuition). But, my impression of the school and the city were both very positive. Plus, if you can get in Wake Forest you could commute withouth having to move again. Another positive is that East Carolina generally has lower MCAT scores comparatively to other schools and only takes applications from NC residents. Apartments close to the school are cheap also. I have been checking out Craigs list and have seen sub $400/month apartments within walking distance of the school. Another positive is that they have a program called Visions that will allow you to take graduate courses without enrolling(while you work on getting that year required for residency requirements). Anyways, a really nice campus and town but I have no stats on how many matriculate to medical school. Anyone in the program have an insiders view?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am enrolling in UNCG's post bac program this spring, using it as a GPA booster and pre reqs, better alternative for me to Wake's program as I havent taken the MCAT yet, which I think is a requirement for their post bacc. The program advisor told me it is open enrollment for those with a Bachelor's, but space is limited. You are considered a second degree candidate. The way I understand it is that couses are taken piecemeal on your own, not sure if there is a tight "post bac" community or not, I'm thinking not, none of my admissions said anything about a post bac, just that I'm a second degree student.

Visited campus a few weeks ago, very nice, grassy, trees, etc. not a concrete jungle.. They also just got a new science building a few years ago which was very nice. Also I've been told that the pre med advisor Dr. Cannon is very good. I'm looking forward to moving to Greensboro in Jan--

I am enrolling in UNCG's post bac program this spring, using it as a GPA booster and pre reqs, better alternative for me to Wake's program as I havent taken the MCAT yet, which I think is a requirement for their post bacc. The program advisor told me it is open enrollment for those with a Bachelor's, but space is limited. You are considered a second degree candidate. The way I understand it is that couses are taken piecemeal on your own, not sure if there is a tight "post bac" community or not, I'm thinking not, none of my admissions said anything about a post bac, just that I'm a second degree student.

Visited campus a few weeks ago, very nice, grassy, trees, etc. not a concrete jungle.. They also just got a new science building a few years ago which was very nice. Also I've been told that the pre med advisor Dr. Cannon is very good. I'm looking forward to moving to Greensboro in Jan--

I talked to Mr. Cannon over the phone the other day. Pretty goofy guy, but I get the impression that he really puts some effort into preparing his students for med school.

He also said that classes aren't necessarily offered in the evening, but a lot of the classes have late in the day and sometimes even sessions, so if you're working it may be a little hard compared to Penn or NWU where they have classes once a week in the evenings.

NC is a great area of the country to be in and I would absolutely love to go to UNC @ Chapel Hill or Wake Forest...maybe even Duke (in my dreams, lol). I guess we'll see what happens...

NC is a great area of the country to be in and I would absolutely love to go to UNC @ Chapel Hill or Wake Forest...maybe even Duke (in my dreams, lol). I guess we'll see what happens...

went to UNC undergrad, would love to return for med school

where else are you looking for a post bac, anywhere in NC?

went to UNC undergrad, would love to return for med school

where else are you looking for a post bac, anywhere in NC?

I was really into North Western, Harvard, and University of North Florida's (since I live in FL) programs for a while, but I'm in kind of a weird situation. I graduate this December and am trying to start a post bac in the spring (most people start in the fall). I also already have a a year of chem and physics under my belt and a semster of bio and those programs are mainly looking for people with no pre-med class experience. I applied to UPenn the other day to their Special Sciences Post-Bac program and am hoping to get in there (it's a good school and will allow me to work during the day).

If I can't get into UPenn or find a way to make UNCG, then I think I might try to find a state school that I can take classes in the evenings at. University of Cincinnati has a good schedule for people working full time, but it's super expensive for non Ohio residents.

I think you have to be a minority and have taken the MCAT to get into Wake Forest's program. Other than UNCG, I don't think there are any other ones in NC. I wish Duke had one.

Does anyone know whether there is a limit on the number of classes informal (Do it yourself) post-bacc students are allow to take? Does anyone know the answer for UNCG? I will be graduating in the summer from UNC, but I am looking at doing a post-bacc at UNC-Charlotte or possibly UNCG. I am not sure the answer for UNC-Charlotte because they never responded to my email. I will try to call them soon to see if I can get some of my questions answer.

I was really into North Western, Harvard, and University of North Florida's (since I live in FL) programs for a while, but I'm in kind of a weird situation. I graduate this December and am trying to start a post bac in the spring (most people start in the fall). I also already have a a year of chem and physics under my belt and a semster of bio and those programs are mainly looking for people with no pre-med class experience. I applied to UPenn the other day to their Special Sciences Post-Bac program and am hoping to get in there (it's a good school and will allow me to work during the day).

If I can't get into UPenn or find a way to make UNCG, then I think I might try to find a state school that I can take classes in the evenings at. University of Cincinnati has a good schedule for people working full time, but it's super expensive for non Ohio residents.

I think you have to be a minority and have taken the MCAT to get into Wake Forest's program. Other than UNCG, I don't think there are any other ones in NC. I wish Duke had one.

You have to be disadvantaged, not necessarily minority. But you are correct that you have to have taken the MCAT and have all your pre-reqs.

Does anyone know whether there is a limit on the number of classes informal (Do it yourself) post-bacc students are allow to take? Does anyone know the answer for UNCG? I will be graduating in the summer from UNC, but I am looking at doing a post-bacc at UNC-Charlotte or possibly UNCG. I am not sure the answer for UNC-Charlotte because they never responded to my email. I will try to call them soon to see if I can get some of my questions answer.

Pretty sure that there isn't a limit to how many hours you can take (maybe 18-21), but you are considered a second degree, full time student, at least thats how I was admitted.

I tried to go back to Carolina, but they said I could take a max of 8 hrs a semester which would take me only about ten years to finish. I figured with all the money I paid them for undergrad they might want some more but I guess not.

Thanks jpbrooks. I have a few questions:
1. So as a second degree candidate are you obligated to declare a major and finish it? Basically, does it look bad not to finish a degree? I am interested in only taking classes for a year or so, but I am sure a second degree would require more than that.
2. Are you considered for financial aid (loans, scholarships, etc)
3. Did you apply as a post-bacc or a second degree applicant? I know UNC-Charlotte has a separate application process for both.

Thanks jpbrooks. I have a few questions:
1. So as a second degree candidate are you obligated to declare a major and finish it? Basically, does it look bad not to finish a degree? I am interested in only taking classes for a year or so, but I am sure a second degree would require more than that.
2. Are you considered for financial aid (loans, scholarships, etc)
3. Did you apply as a post-bacc or a second degree applicant? I know UNC-Charlotte has a separate application process for both.

No, you arent obligated to finish the major, I'm not planning on it. Not sure if it looks bad not to finish a degree or not... hopefully not.

Yes, I got financial aid (subsidized and unsub stafford loans)

I applied as a second degree applicant. I don't think its like Charlotte where you have to apply as a post bac or 2nd degree.

No, you arent obligated to finish the major, I'm not planning on it. Not sure if it looks bad not to finish a degree or not... hopefully not.

Yes, I got financial aid (subsidized and unsub stafford loans)

I applied as a second degree applicant. I don't think its like Charlotte where you have to apply as a post bac or 2nd degree.

I have a follow-up question for you UNCG post-bac students. Does it matter which "major" you put down on the application as a second-degree seeking student? As I understand it, it is non-degree awarding, but I wanted to make sure the application went to the right location! I am probably going to put down BA in Biology I suppose.

Hello!
Are there any members on here now who plan on starting the post-bacc pre-med program at UNCG in Spring 2012? Or are there any who are there presently?

Hi! I'm beginning the post-bacc program at UNCG this fall (2012) and I was wondering if anyone on here is in it or going to be enrolling in it? Thanks!

Hi! I'm beginning the post-bacc program at UNCG this fall (2012) and I was wondering if anyone on here is in it or going to be enrolling in it? Thanks!

I will be beginning the post-bacc program in the fall also!

Hi!

I was just wondering.... where did you end up doing your post bac? Did you end up at UNC-Greensboro? Or somewhere else?
What was your opinion on Harvard's and University of North Florida's?

Hi!

I was just wondering.... where did you end up doing your post bac? Did you end up at UNC-Greensboro? Or somewhere else?
What was your opinion on Harvard's and University of North Florida's?
I ended up at UNF. Worked out well. Good price and got a LOR. Helped me get ino UF in Gainesville.

Reactions: 1 users