Univ of Wash Gas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Legion560

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
After reading this board for a couple of months, Ive come across some posts saying that this program wasnt very resident friendly. I though it was one of the better programs in the NW area and I was thinking about doing an away there. Can any current UW residents (or anyone familiar with the program) comment as to its shortcomings etc? I like the seattle area and I grew up around there, but if the program isnt all that great and doesnt treat its resisdents decently I would be hard pressed to apply. Any comments?

Thanks.

Legion

Members don't see this ad.

Is living in Seattle your top priority?

I rotated at UW Harborview and really enjoyed the experience. The residents from VMason and Uwash both rotate there. UW residents felt that they were trained well and stated its a hard working program. They expressed that at the U the environment could get a bit tense because of some of the personalities which accompany highly academic atmospheres. They loved it a Harborview however. Its still a very good program and worth applying to. Plenty of cool residents and great job opportunites going into and comming out of there respectively.

The VM people worked hard as well but I didn't get the sense that they were overworked. In fact they were quite happy. I would definitely check that program out. I did and I was very impressed. Probably my best interview.

At either program you'll be fine. Best advice is to rotate at Harborview if Seattle is a major player in your application filter. Apply to both places as well. You can find out a lot during your interview process if you go about it the right way.

Best o' luck and Seattle does rock,
Vent

I took Vent's advice and rotated at Harborview awhile ago. It was a great rotation. I fully agree with everything he said. I would add that the attendings at Harborview were all very nice and excited when I told them I wanted to go into anesthesia (not just there as an MS4 lookin for an easy couple of weeks). It was not difficult to get the rotation set up either--they were very friendly.

You will get a chance to see how much you like that part of the residency program (the Harborview/trauma rotations) for both VM and UW residencies. All the residents were awesome too and totally willing to teach skills, etc and all were open to talking about their programs. If you're interested in UW rotate at Harborview. I don't see how you can go wrong doing so. :D

Good luck,

Lefty

Members don't see this ad :)
Dr. Novak is one of the nicest guys ever. He wrote me a letter of recommendation. Dr. Lam was funny as heck too. Always joking around. Lots of cool attendings. Thanks for the advice to go there--well worth my while.