AA to anesthesiologist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How good of a medical school is it? Are we talking MD, DO, public, private, top 50, brand new school? Do you think you could get into a school as good or better if you reapplied ?
It is a public MD school. It was my #1 choice ever since I was in undergrad. I wouldn’t say it’s ranked top 50 but not amongst the worst. It’s MD program opened in 2006 so it’s relatively new.

I may or may not have a chance for a top 50 private school. They sent me the secondary application but I never completed it. School is good but it’s in a non-desirable place. It’s also more expensive compared to the one I was accepted to.

I wouldn’t mind reapplying but there’s no guarantee I would get such a convenient offer again. Local Uni, MD, family lives in the area so I can save $$$ in the thousands by staying here. Wife’s family is here as well. Wife works in the area and has school in the area.

Members don't see this ad.

Interesting story. I don’t know what the market is for AA in your area or in general? If it’s good, then I’d personally stick with AA. It sounds you enjoy your current AA program and would be happy being an AA. You’ll be even happier an AA when making good money without the responsibility as well. Med school would be something if you’re truly wanting something else (medicine, surgery, peds, psych, rads, path, etc). But if you’re happy with performing anesthesia right now, why change? There are so many unknowns entering medical school as many have said. You’re already married and your wife is on her way to a career and so would be you. Not a lot of people can say that. It’s the safe thing to do. Sorry to burst the Med school bubble but that’s what I would do if I were you. But first, get good info about the likelihood of getting a good/acceptable AA job when you’re done in a year.

Congratulations on getting into medical school. Honestly a great accomplishment too. Good luck
Thanks for your input.

Thankfully I’m in a hot market for AA. Just this year 10 new jobs opened in my local area (no less than 30 mins commute) in gasworks. There’s a small chance I may have to relocate but I honestly find that very unlikely.

I can delay medical school for 1 year meaning august of 2023 I could start but I would have 4 months left if AA clinicals. I wish that was an option but the only feasible option is to reapply in 2023 for 2024.
Is this just the school's general policy, or have you actually talked to someone there about your specific situation? The other option would be to talk to your AA school and see if you could take a leave of absence to finish your clinical over the summer break of your first year of med school (they still have summer breaks after the first year of med school, right? I'm old)

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Is this just the school's general policy, or have you actually talked to someone there about your specific situation? The other option would be to talk to your AA school and see if you could take a leave of absence to finish your clinical over the summer break of your first year of med school (they still have summer breaks after the first year of med school, right? I'm old)

As someone pretty familiar with AA program accreditation stuff I'm like 99% sure this wouldn't be allowed except in extreme circumstance such as critical illness, etc.

Reactions: 1 user
I did buy new skis/snowboard at some point during residency, and bought a decent espresso machine after residency.

“Technically” I was single, so no one was helping me spending the minimum wage that I was making.
…and look at you now. Still single. Probably easier to pay those loans off. 😉

To OP
I had my first kid at the end of medical school, 2nd kid at the end of residency. Family was and is a priority. Residency was a grind, I felt for the general surgery and neurosurgery residents. They had it worse.

If you elect to attend medical school, you will have a lot of opportunities and will not be limited to anesthesiology only. A lot of cool fields in medicine.

Reactions: 3 users
As someone pretty familiar with AA program accreditation stuff I'm like 99% sure this wouldn't be allowed except in extreme circumstance such as critical illness, etc.
What MS yr are you, BTW? Are you still deadset on anesthesiology?

What MS yr are you, BTW? Are you still deadset on anesthesiology?

Just MS1. I wouldn't say dead set as in I would refuse to change my mind, especially like I mentioned earlier, if all of the bad stars align in the next 4 years. I have broad interests including other fields. But it would also be hard to pass up coming into an anesthesiology residency with 10 years experience as an AA.

Reactions: 1 user
Just MS1. I wouldn't say dead set as in I would refuse to change my mind, especially like I mentioned earlier, if all of the bad stars align in the next 4 years. I have broad interests including other fields. But it would also be hard to pass up coming into an anesthesiology residency with 10 years experience as an AA.

If you go into surgery, you would be a rare surgeon that actually knows something about anesthesia.

Reactions: 2 users
I will also tag @ValentineD. He was sort of in your position a few years ago, IIRC. He saw it more closely…..

Follow your dreams. Too many people focus on timelines and forget they have to wake up everyday in between.

Reactions: 4 users
Follow your dreams. Too many people focus on timelines and forget they have to wake up everyday in between.

Couldn’t say it better myself. To me the worst possible situation at the end of my life was looking back and having regret over not doing what I wanted to do.

Reactions: 3 users