Universidad Central del Caribe (UCC)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

livia25

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was looking at the MSAR and out of the 729 non-residents that applied to Universidad Central del Caribe only 26 got interviewed I was wondering do they interview everyone who meets there requirements, or say someone has an MCAT score of a 24 and someone else has a 30 would they interview the person with the 30 and not the 24, or do they interview them both because they both have above the minimum MCAT score that the school requires? Where did the 703 other people go wrong? I am fluent in Spanish, mcat 24, gpa 3.3 and strong clinical experience, I was wondering what are my chances of getting an interview, and I am not a resident.

Members don't see this ad.

I can't answer any of these questions - just want to let you know that I have yet to see any useful information about this school posted on SDN. For being the US allo school with the lowest entrance stats, you'd think there'd be SOME discussion about UCC. There hasn't even been any interview data in a couple years.

Why aren't you applying to the Big 4? Maybe I'm missing something.

Members don't see this ad :)

PR schools are in the Big 126. There are 4 LCME-accredited United States of America medical schools in Puerto Rico. They're in the MSAR and you apply to them in AMCAS. Think U of Hawaii, times 4, mostly in Spanish.

As long as I've been on SDN, anybody who asks about the PR schools in the pre-allo forum gets sent to the Caribbean forum, since PR is in the Caribbean. There have been some PR residents and/or PR med students in this forum, with useful info. See the Ponce thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=329252

I was looking at the MSAR and out of the 729 non-residents that applied to Universidad Central del Caribe only 26 got interviewed ... Where did the 703 other people go wrong? I am fluent in Spanish, mcat 24, gpa 3.3 and strong clinical experience, I was wondering what are my chances of getting an interview, and I am not a resident.
Remember that class size at UCC is very small ~70 students per class, and some preference is given to PR residents. Applying early is helpful, but remember that non-resident interviews are given after all PR resident interviews have taken place, so you may not have your interview until january, february, or later. Also, you must make sure that you meet all of their application requirements including 12 credits of college level English and 12 credits of behavioral/social science. If you don't quite have that many, your may be able to get a waiver if you can document that you took something equivalent that you feel meets the requirement. If you are still missing some coursework, they may still move you on in the application process if you can document that you will have those courses completed by their deadline in April or May. All of this extra documentation may be a very cumbersome and beaurocratic process, but persistance pays off.
Good luck!

The fact that they are not as well known can be beneficial to many potential applicants. The fact that not many know that 4 fully accredited US med schools exist in PR means less competition for those that do take the time to research the schools properly. I see these as 4 hidden gems in the US med school system that while not as prestigious or well known as many other med schools, they will get you an MD after your name if you work hard for it.

The 4 puertorrican schools are the big 4 school of the caribbean but LCME!!:D