university/academic West Coast programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
Spinoff from the 'board scores' thread: I saw a couple of posters list Stanford along with UCSF and UCLA as among the top West Coast programs...

Just curious what criteria y'all are using? I know their research is top-notch but Stanford's psych residency program is much smaller than the other 2 and it seems like their patient population is more restricted? or am I wrong? I am curious to know what have people heard from their PDs about this program?

Members don't see this ad.

From what I have seen and heard, I would include UW toward the top of the west coast rankings. Just my opinion though. They are very strong in many areas of research, have very diverse training including the whole WWAMI thing. They seemed to be solid in every area. I'd say stronger than Stanford for the reasons stated above, but I guess they don't have the brand recognition.

i am an img and did not get no love from cali's big 4 (ucla-npi, ucsd, stanford,ucsf) nor UW. however i did interview at UC Davis and did like the program an awful lot. however i also liked ucla-harbor and also will be rankin usc somewhat high as well. i think i like ucla-harbor's location and also thought the people were great and its links to ucla. it is not univ based but you can do a lot of ur 4th year in ucla. that is why i included it here. also there is opportunity for clinical research. also like uc davis an awful lot. if i remember correctly uc davis does not have the bench research like the big 4 but it is still strong in research and claims to be a top choice for teaching of med students and also i believe for forensics. however it may be weak in addictions which i am sure ucla-harbor is great in. i also believe i maybe ranking cedars high as well yet loma-linda, ucla-kern and ucsf-fresno will be somewhat lower due to location. my main dilemna is where to rank uc davis and ucla-harbor. #3 maybe thomas jefferson in philly. other top ones would be denver, nymc westchester vallhalla, unc, wash u st. louis, louisville and vegas.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just curious what criteria y'all are using? I know their research is top-notch but Stanford's psych residency program is much smaller than the other 2 and it seems like their patient population is more restricted? or am I wrong? I am curious to know what have people heard from their PDs about this program?

You can't go wrong with most of the "big names" that people are throwing around on SDN. It depends on what you are looking for in a program. No, really -- it really does depend on what you are looking for. There is a fairly large econometric literature on rankings and such. Unfortunately, no matter how much the econometrically aware do their part to chip away at this rankings crap, we just can't seem to dispel the US News & World Report mystique. It's like hammering gophers with a mallet. An op-ed that Austan Goolsbee wrote in the NYT a few years ago pretty much sums it up. I posted the full text in another forum: "How Rankings Rate", NYT 4/12/04.

As far as Stanford is concerned, I wasn't that impressed when I interviewed there. (For a different take, click here for a post-interview day review by nortomaso.) The hallways of the psychiatry building were adorned with full-size posters reproduced from the U.S. News and World Report rank list with Stanford's #8 ranking highlighted in bright yellow. Those were kind of annoying. But mostly it came down to a gut feeling that this wasn't the place for me.

That being said, it is true that the patient population at Stanford Hospital may have a narrower distribution compared to other programs. The strength of programs like UW and UCSF is that there is a diversity of site locations -- university hospital, county hospital, VA, and children's. From what I recall from my Stanford interview, your inpatient psychiatry experience is basically Stanford Hospital and the Palo Alto VA (which is the most beautiful VA building I have ever seen). For an outpatient community psych experience, I think you can do some stuff with the county, but on its face I would say it pales in comparison to the exposure at UW and UCSF. (Someone on this board might have a different opinion.)

However, if you have other good reasons for wanting to go to Stanford, the R3 & R4 curriculum seems to be flexible enough that there's no reason why you couldn't tailor your education to fit your interests. Certainly you could do inpatient or psych ER electives at SFGH, or you could locate a community psych supervisor in the city, etc. It seems like a supportive enough environment that, if you were not content with what was pre-arranged for you, you could certainly take steps to change it for yourself.

And lastly, FWIW: one of my attendings had a friend during residency who transferred to Stanford's psychiatry residency, and per my attending [loosely paraphrased] "she wasn't the strongest resident in our program. She transferred to Stanford because she thought she might be happier there. When I spoke with her a few months after she transferred, she wasn't particularly much happier there -- but I do remember her saying that compared to the other residents she thought she was 'pretty strong'." I don't know if that is indicative of the strength of my attending's residency program or whether that is indicative of the deficiencies of the Stanford residents. (My attending had recently completed residency training so I think this could be taken as a current comparison.) Again, take it FWIW (N=1).

Cheers
-AT.

Thanks for the input atsai3.

And lastly, FWIW: one of my attendings had a friend during residency who transferred to Stanford's psychiatry residency, and per my attending [loosely paraphrased] "she wasn't the strongest resident in our program. She transferred to Stanford because she thought she might be happier there. When I spoke with her a few months after she transferred, she wasn't particularly much happier there -- but I do remember her saying that compared to the other residents she thought she was 'pretty strong'." I don't know if that is indicative of the strength of my attending's residency program or whether that is indicative of the deficiencies of the Stanford residents.
Without wishing to sound antagonistic, that doesn't seem indicative of anything at all given that a) I don't know what program your attending went to, and b) there's actually no information regarding how that resident's performance compared to those of other residents at either program. All you have is her own word that she thought she was 'pretty strong'; but she probably thought she was 'pretty strong' in her original program as well, albeit unhappy. (You have your attending's word that she was 'not strong' in Program A and the resident's own word that she was 'pretty strong' in Program B. Those are pretty much not comparable in any way.)

Anyways, thanks again for your comments.