University of Alabama EM, DO friendly...?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Mat the coolcat

jus tryn'a make it
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Interested in UAB, and wondering how apt they are to taking/interviewing DO's...I see on their website that they only currently have one DO in all 3 classes...

I currently have a EM rotation offer with them, but I'm considering finding another one if i wouldn't be considered for a residency there, despite decent scores and an overall strong application.

Appreciate any advice!
 
Last edited:
Interested in UAB, and wondering how apt they are to taking/interviewing DO's...I see on their website that they only currently have one DO in all 3 classes, but they are one of the cheifs so... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I currently have a EM rotation offer with them, but I'm considering finding another one if i wouldn't be considered for a residency there despite decent scores and an overall strong application.

Appreciate any advice!

You could try reaching out to that DO resident and asking him/her. I'd guess if you want ANY chance at an interview as a DO you'd have to do an away there.
 
Looked there, and it's not DO friendly at all. I think there have been 2 DO residents total in the last 8 years. I would look at doing an audition elsewhere and at a place where there are at least 2-3 DOs per class. If you're looking in the south, I'd look at UT Murfreesboro, UT Chattanooga, University of Mississippi, MCG/Augusta, and many Texas programs.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Looked there, and it's not DO friendly at all. I think there have been 2 DO residents total in the last 8 years. I would look at doing an audition elsewhere and at a place where there are at least 2-3 DOs per class.

That's really helpful information that I've been unable to gather, thanks so much!
 
What are your scores? Also define what you mean by a strong application?
Interested in UAB, and wondering how apt they are to taking/interviewing DO's...I see on their website that they only currently have one DO in all 3 classes...

I currently have a EM rotation offer with them, but I'm considering finding another one if i wouldn't be considered for a residency there, despite decent scores and an overall strong application.

Appreciate any advice!