University of Alabama (UAB) Class of 2025 Interview/Acceptance Thread

I interviewed mid-September and haven't heard anything since then and my status has not changed. I only personally know of like 5 acceptances, but obviously there is more than that. At this point, no news is better than a rejection.

Members don't see this ad.

Is UAB one of the schools that do silent rejections :(
I'm not too sure. I have gone back and read through the threads of the previous couple of classes and there isn't much about rejections. They also seem to still offer multiple months after the main decision day, but that was with another person in charge of admissions.

Members don't see this ad :)
It seems like nobody (at least on sdn and fb) heard back after the 15th, but I did see some people get accepted a few days after decision day last year.. I guess this means a little bit of hope? :(

Until I am told no I am not losing hope. I do expect this to run into January before some of us hear anything though.

Reactions: 1 users
Last year ppl did seem to get acceptances after decision day so there’s still hope!! Plus decision day was later this year than last year and now offices are closing for the holidays so I think it’s more likely that more acceptances will go out in January!

Last year ppl did seem to get acceptances after decision day so there’s still hope!! Plus decision day was later this year than last year and now offices are closing for the holidays so I think it’s more likely that more acceptances will go out in January!
Also, UAB sent out emails saying more acceptance offers will be made! So let's not lose hope!!

Reactions: 1 user
the dean of admin is also new and has implemented new protocols, standards, etc. so one cannot compare this cycle too similarly to previous cycles

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if there’s a FB group for accepted applicants?

I just found a FB group that was created today and there is only 7 members in it as of now

Someone asked one of the current students in my meet and greet what the distribution between IS and OOS is and I think I remember them saying it would be 60-40 this year. I think I also remember them saying that they would slightly increase the class size as well, but not sure what to. This what I think I remember them saying so take it with a grain of salt because I could be wrong.

Has anyone sent a latter of intent? Especially instate or would it be better to wait until after the 30 day period?

Someone asked one of the current students in my meet and greet what the distribution between IS and OOS is and I think I remember them saying it would be 60-40 this year. I think I also remember them saying that they would slightly increase the class size as well, but not sure what to. This what I think I remember them saying so take it with a grain of salt because I could be wrong.
I remember that as well but I think one of the students said that they might not be increasing class size this year.

I remember that as well but I think one of the students said that they might not be increasing class size this year.
they won't be increasing class size yet bc CODA could not make it out to UAB to approve the size increase due to COVID

Two questions.

I heard of you are OOS but married and your spouse starts working in Alabama you are able to qualify for in state tuition and can be reclassified as in state after a few months. Is that true?

Also, I heard there is no time for externships if you want to specialize. What do students do to get exposure to other programs they hope to interview at?

The email was about UAB not being done sending out acceptances, not about waitlist.
I guess not all of us got the email because I didn’t get it... unless you interviewed! only sent in a supplemental and OOS but haven’t heard a word since. Def losing hope but it’s a tight timeline with only January left

I'm not too sure. I have gone back and read through the threads of the previous couple of classes and there isn't much about rejections. They also seem to still offer multiple months after the main decision day, but that was with another person in charge of admissions.
I applied last year but wasn’t interviewed or anything. I ended up getting a rejection email months later like February/March ish

I guess not all of us got the email because I didn’t get it... unless you interviewed! only sent in a supplemental and OOS but haven’t heard a word since. Def losing hope but it’s a tight timeline with only January left
Don't worry, I interviewed but didn't get the email

I am also IS :(
I don’t see why they would only send it to OOS but I got one and I’m OOS. Did you use a gmail account for aadsas? The day decisions came out, Gmail was down and a lot of ppl didn’t get emails from schools. Either way, I don’t think that email meant anything for specific students they just sent to all interviewees.

I don’t see why they would only send it to OOS but I got one and I’m OOS. Did you use a gmail account for aadsas? The day decisions came out, Gmail was down and a lot of ppl didn’t get emails from schools. Either way, I don’t think that email meant anything for specific students they just sent to all interviewees.
Yeah I'm OOS and got one, weird

It seems odd that the only AL dental school would have a 60-40 IS/OOS split for an already smaller than average class size... but I’ve def seen more OOS post about being accepted than what I’d imagine. I remember a big part of Dr. McKenzie’s interview day speech was about getting dentists to practice in AL which now seems a bit tongue in cheek with all of these OOS acceptances rolling in.
Maybe it's 60-4, like 60 instate and 4 oos this year lol. Though im oos so I can't say I hope I'm right

She told me they want to increase the class size and increase IS in order to decrease the oral health deficit in Alabama. Doesn’t seem consistent with the amount of OOS acceptances

I am in-state and was accepted to Michigan and UPenn but not UAB, so who knows what they're looking for. Maybe they are trying to take advantage of more OOS applicants with Zoom interviews or maybe they are just behind with a new dean and new dean of admissions.

I see a lot of instate people posting on here, is this like the only school that doesn’t prefer it’s in state students? Btw I declined my offer of acceptance. Good luck to those waiting.
Normally UAB favors in-state which makes sense because Alabama needs more dentists, but this time it seems like they're trying to see if any OOS people will accept first.
I know the new dean wanted to increase the class size by about 20 students, but this doesn't seem like a good idea either because one of their main strengths other than the more reasonable tuition is the smaller class size. They haven't added any new facilities, so I would think this would make the clinical experience not as strong?

Normally UAB favors in-state which makes sense because Alabama needs more dentists, but this time it seems like they're trying to see if any OOS people will accept first.
I know the new dean wanted to increase the class size by about 20 students, but this doesn't seem like a good idea either because one of their main strengths other than the more reasonable tuition is the smaller class size. They haven't added any new facilities, so I would think this would make the clinical experience not as strong?

They can’t increase class size until post COVID when CODA can go and approve UAB to do so. They also plan to utilize local UAB alumni for clinical work for students to travel there

I see a lot of instate people posting on here, is this like the only school that doesn’t prefer it’s in state students? Btw I declined my offer of acceptance. Good luck to those waiting.
I agree that I see more OOS getting accepted. As an IS, my hope is that they are getting OOS now, but then will eventually move onto accepting IS. The waiting is a pain in the butt..

I agree that I see more OOS getting accepted. As an IS, my hope is that they are getting OOS now, but then will eventually move onto accepting IS. The waiting is a pain in the butt..
Certainly should be there priority to enforce in state students for their advantage. I hear from current faculty and students that these few years the dean has shown a more favorable opinion toward more oos than instate, which raises concern if it violates the federal/state law.

Certainly should be there priority to enforce in state students for their advantage. I hear from current faculty and students that these few years the dean has shown a more favorable opinion toward more oos than instate, which raises concern if it violates the federal/state law.
It’s all about the $$$$$$

• Haha
So.. just to confirm, did anyone hear from UAB after 12/15?

Well...... please have us updated for any of you who get accepted later!! Happy New Year guys :kiss:

Still waiting... Has anyone been accepted recently?

Received an email a few days ago asking if I was still interested in UAB. They asked me to reach out to them. I replied, but haven’t heard anything since. Anyone else receive this?