University of Alberta

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stroodle

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone applying to u of a this year? or any Canadian pharmacy school? Just sent my transcripts...the wait begins :p

Members don't see this ad.

Fellow Canadian here...

I applied to U of Alberta, as well as UBC, Dalhousie and Memorial University of Newfoundland (MUN). Had an interview at Dal a month ago and I fly out to MUN next week.

Did you apply to any other schools? Good luck, the waiting is the worst part!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied to UW and UToronto. UW gives out decisions next week so my wait is almost over (PHEW) and UToronto tells me the last week of june.

Does anyone know how many out of province students Memorial interviews and accepts?

I applied to UW and UToronto. UW gives out decisions next week so my wait is almost over (PHEW) and UToronto tells me the last week of june.

Does anyone know how many out of province students Memorial interviews and accepts?

I think MUN accepts up to 10% out of province students, so that would be 4 out of 40 seats. I don't think there is a quota/limit on how many OOP students they interview.

Yup, I also applied to U of A. Just waiting for my transcripts to be issued so i can send them off next week. Also applying to UBC, U Sask, and Utoronto.

Yup, I also applied to U of A. Just waiting for my transcripts to be issued so i can send them off next week. Also applying to UBC, U Sask, and Utoronto.

How did you do enough pre-reqs to qualify for admission for all three schools?

I'm third year BSc (Biochem major)... got a few more courses needed and other electives n stuff...

I finished my 4th year at UofT. I also applied to UofA pharmacy school. However, it's the only school I applied to. They are saying my file is complete BUT "decision pending". Waiting sucks.....I am guessing we won't be seeing any changes to these until June 23 since June 15 is the deadline for transcripts.
Good luck everyone :)

Although June 15 is the transcript deadline the admissions committee won't get together until June 25th. We will get the results during the first or second week of July. I know this because I called Gladys McIntyre and left that question on her answering machine. However, I was half asleep the next morning when she returned my call and I am pretty sure I heard June 25th. And she said that decisions will be made and sent out during the first or second week of July.

Hope this helps with everyone's waiting game.
G'luck!

waiting is very overrated....lol

what are your stats like?

pretty bad.. like 72%. pretty sure I got rejected already from U of A. On Bear Tracks it basically says.. thx for applying, we'll mail you the confirmation in a bit.

pretty bad.. like 72%. pretty sure I got rejected already from U of A. On Bear Tracks it basically says.. thx for applying, we'll mail you the confirmation in a bit.

Wait, so your admission status is not "decision pending"?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
it says

This applications is: Complete
Admission Decision: Quota Filled

Your application for admission has been carefully considered. We regret to inform you that we are unable to offer you admission. Details will be sent by regular post.

if yours doesnt say that then it probably means good things will happen, like getting into UofA pharmacy.

it says

Your application for admission has been carefully considered. We regret to inform you that we are unable to offer you admission. Details will be sent by regular post.

sorry to hear..but isn't their grade requirement 3.7? i find this ridiculously high..

sorry to hear..but isn't their grade requirement 3.7? i find this ridiculously high..

I think a 3.7 is standard for UT and UBC since all their averages are 80%.

The sad thing is that U of A does not take PCAT into account. I scored 90+ percentile and they said they wouldn't even review it.

Should've applied to UBC though... their averages are so low this year (due to low applicant)

Not sure about my chances this year...

Last edited:
it says

OG033, when did your status change over from decision pending to "quota filled"? Mine still says "decision pending".

I guess I'll take that as a good sign for now (didn't get rejected right off the bat), but I still don't have high hopes for U of A since it is entirely possible that 130 people with better grades than me applied to U of A.

Last year my status didn't change until late August (after calling to find out I didn't make it), so I think it'll be another long wait.

OG033, when did your status change over from decision pending to "quota filled"? Mine still says "decision pending".

I guess I'll take that as a good sign for now (didn't get rejected right off the bat), but I still don't have high hopes for U of A since it is entirely possible that 130 people with better grades than me applied to U of A.

Last year my status didn't change until late August (after calling to find out I didn't make it), so I think it'll be another long wait.

My take at this is that they review an application and then decide to reject or accept/put on wait list. I don't think they do it like UBC where they review all and send out interviews to everyone at once. This just makes the (long and nervous) wait all the more unbearable.

I haven't checked Bear Tracks for a while so i could have been like up to 2 weeks ago that the status changed.

so should we check bear tracks every day or are they going to email/mail us?

lol I think i'd be way too antsy if I had to check bear tracks every minute of every hour haha

anyone willing to share stats?

PS: does anyone know what the upgrade for biochem 200 is? I tried emailing gladys and she didn't respond yet (emailed a few days ago already). I'm gonna try to upgrade it to an A from A- if I don't get in this year and the 3xx courses are kinda filling up.... is it biochem 310, 320 or 330?

i'll post my stats hoping others will too!

Im in my third year at u calgary and my gpa is 3.74 and got some volunteering down...other than that nothing outstanding lol.

Hopefully the letter of intent doesn't count for much because my engrish ain't that shabby

I'd post my stats, but honestly I have no idea what they are! 2 different schools with 2 different grading systems, plus I have my BSc, and I think U of A includes your upper level courses/last 2 years.

it says

I got a question.

How did they decide to reject OGO33?

Is it becuase his GPA (72%) was lower than 3.5 so they automatically rejected him?

I have no idea what 72% translates to in GPA though...

My take at this is that they review an application and then decide to reject or accept/put on wait list. I don't think they do it like UBC where they review all and send out interviews to everyone at once. This just makes the (long and nervous) wait all the more unbearable.

It looks like the UofA goes through the applications of the qualified applicants and then sends out acceptance letters to the top 130 candidates and waits for their reply. Everyone else is then put on a wait list according to the strength of your application and as applicants who were accepted decline enrollment, wait listed students are accepted. The system could be improved tho...I don't think wait listers are notified of their status. You might have to phone Gladys to find out for sure. Also, if you don't hear right away, don't give up hope! I know someone in my class who got in a week AFTER classes started.

I haven't checked Bear Tracks for a while so i could have been like up to 2 weeks ago that the status changed.

My Bear Tracks status didn't change until after I sent in my confirmation of enrollment and deposit. Even then, it took a little while for them to process it and change it.

so should we check bear tracks every day or are they going to email/mail us?

Not to make you guys nervous/excited or anything, but last year the first round of acceptance letters (ie. to the top 130 candidates) went out around the beginning of July.

Is University of Alberta really strict on courseload? I am entering my third year and will be taking 16 credits (5 classes) per term. In my first year, I took only 14 credits (4 classes) per term. In my second year, I had to take 12 credits in winter session due to personal issues at home, but I did take full course load in spring semester (5 classes).

Not to make you guys nervous/excited or anything, but last year the first round of acceptance letters (ie. to the top 130 candidates) went out around the beginning of July.

So does U of A send acceptance letters through email or snail mail?

Anyone get acceptance letters yet?

So does U of A send acceptance letters through email or snail mail?

They send the letters through snail mail.

Nope (But I don't really care now that I've been accepted by UBC). I think the way U of A just leaves student hanging is really ****ty.

updates anyone?

this has got to be the longest and most painful process!

it would be nice if they told us earlier because it could help people plan the rest of the summer/next year lol

this has got to be the longest and most painful process!

it would be nice if they told us earlier because it could help people plan the rest of the summer/next year lol

No kidding. As I said in my previous post, I can't believe they get away with treating students this way. I almost let the wait ruin my summer last year. I was waiting around thinking I had to find out one way or another any week now, and that if I did get in, I would have lots to sort out with moving OOP and finding a place to live and financial isssues. Finally I got so fed up and said screw this and within a week I was in Europe! Got back late Aug, still nothing and had to phone several times to find out I wasn't in. I was so glad I didn't spend the entire summer waiting for nothing.

So try and enjoy your summer!!:)

Relief should be on the way soon for those who are still waiting. Letters were mailed out late last week and I got mine today.

Relief should be on the way soon for those who are still waiting. Letters were mailed out late last week and I got mine today.

so good news or bad?

Does this means all acceptance letters have been sent out already? anyone got a rejection letter yet?

I got the good news! i'm in :) good luck to all of you guys!

Does anyone know if Alberta accepts transfer students? I emailed them but I haven't heard back - not even sure if the email is the correct one as their website looks kinda dated.

Do they rank first 130 students based on gpa of pre-req or overall gpa?

and if I retake my general chem.. would they consider the higher mark..? I got B- on gen chem1.. and I want to upgrade it..

Do they rank first 130 students based on gpa of pre-req or overall gpa?

and if I retake my general chem.. would they consider the higher mark..? I got B- on gen chem1.. and I want to upgrade it..

I am not sure about how they rank people....
however, in relation to the second question...in order to upgrade your grade.. you will have to take a higher level course in the similar subject area...I dont think repeating the same course will help you in any way...I read this on Ualberta pharmacy website in the FAQ section. ...Q22.. here is the link...hope it helps

http://www.pharmacy.ualberta.ca/FAQ-Undergrad.htm

hey did anyone else get a 2nd letter of acceptance with a changed date? does that mean we need to send in a 2nd deposit....?

Just got notification that I was accepted! I'll probably decline since I've already accepted UBC's offer though....so anyone in wait-list limbo, there is still hope!!!!

UBCmicro-were you on a waitlist before? when did you find out?

UBCmicro-were you on a waitlist before? when did you find out?

I don't think there is an official wait-list for U of A. Someone from U of A called this afternoon to tell me I was in, but my status hasn't changed on Beartracks and nothing in the mail. So I think I was in "wait-list limbo", not accepted in the first round (ie not top 130), but not rejected right off the bat. FYI I didn't get in last year and had to phone them in late Aug to find out my application "was not accepted".

I don't think there is an official wait-list for U of A. Someone from U of A called this afternoon to tell me I was in, but my status hasn't changed on Beartracks and nothing in the mail. So I think I was in "wait-list limbo", not accepted in the first round (ie not top 130), but not rejected right off the bat. FYI I didn't get in last year and had to phone them in late Aug to find out my application "was not accepted".

Hey, can u put your stats..if u don't mind...my pre req GPA is 3.76 and last two years GPA is 3.86..but i am not sure if that's good enough to get into ualberta.

Last edited:
Hey, can u put your stats..if u don't mind...my pre req GPA is 3.76 and last two years GPA is 3.86..but i am not sure if that's good enough to get into ualberta.

I got in with a 3.73 overall so you're plenty fine.

Just do really good on your letter of intent, and mention how your favorite past time is to save kittens and read to the blind, and that should be good lol

has anyone got a registration package yet??

I sent in my cheque and everything saying I've confirmed but no registration package...