University of Alberta

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I got in with a 3.73 overall so you're plenty fine.

Just do really good on your letter of intent, and mention how your favorite past time is to save kittens and read to the blind, and that should be good lol

has anyone got a registration package yet??

I sent in my cheque and everything saying I've confirmed but no registration package...

I applied this year and I still didnt get any call from Ualberta...is 3.74 ur pre req GPA or cumulative GPA for last two years?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, can u put your stats..if u don't mind...my pre req GPA is 3.76 and last two years GPA is 3.86..but i am not sure if that's good enough to get into ualberta.

Sorry, as I've told many people already, I have no idea what my GPA is...2 different schools with different grading scales and schemes, plus I have my BSc and U of A takes into account your upper years as well if I remember correctly. The gist of it is that other that eng, phys and calc, nothing less than an A-, nothing less than an A- in 3rd and 4th year and A and A+ where it counts (organic, microbi etc). I am being absolutely honest when I say that throughout this whole ordeal of applying to pharmacy schools I have not sat down and tried to calculate my GPA. I know my grades are competitive, but I was surprised I was accepted to U of A.

I'll be declining my offer of admission, so anyone who is still waiting to hear from U of A, there's still hope and you're welcome ;)

wow its been a while since anyone posted here, anyone register for classes or get textbooks??

Members don't see this ad :)
I got accepted into u of a pharm program. but.. i am not sure when, where and how to register for the courses.. has anybody done it yet?:confused:

they sent me a registration book thing but theres still some things I don't get....

hey, does it say when to register??

they basically give you that book they give you in undergrad that has the list of courses for all faculties.

Only question I have is that I can't seem to find pharm 305 and I'm not sure what options to take...

Do they mean pharmacy options of open options?

hey, does it say when to register??

Last year they sent out a large package with course information and things you had to get done before the start of the school year (immunizations, background checks, etc.) a little while after they received your confirmation deposit. The schedule was all planned out and you just had to go onto BearTracks and enter in the course numbers to register.

Only question I have is that I can't seem to find pharm 305 and I'm not sure what options to take...

Do they mean pharmacy options of open options?

Pharm 305 is the clinical rotation that you do after your first year. You won't be able to register for it until mid-way through the Winter semester.

As for options, it depends on how many years you did before being accepted. If you did only one year of post-secondary, then you'll have to take a 3 credit course during the 1st semester to fulfill the credit requirements. If you did more than a year of post-secondary before being accepted, then you'll more than likely be able to transfer some credits and will have a spare block during the day (which you'll likely waste in the Lounge like I did lol). They'll have more info during orientation (which btw WILL be the most awkward day of your entire life...imagine spending the entire day in close proximity to 129 other people that you've never met before but will spend the next 4 years together with...)

wow thanks a lot man!

They basically sent us nothing this year...lol, maybe later this summer?

so far the first year schedule isn't looking too bad...

hi guys! congrats to all who have been accepted.

im still playing the waiting game. i called Gladys mid July and she told me that she cannot reveal to me any information other than the fact that my application is still being considered. On beartracks it still says "decision pending" and i havent heard anything up till now either.

i did bad in my first year of studies, ok in second year and best in my third year of studies. i do not know how to do the gpa conversion since i go to univ of ottawa and they give us a gpa out of 10 as opposed to 4.

btw........my friend got accepted a few years ago with a B average from Ottawa U. I didnt know that Alberta required such a high gpa to be considered. Maybe they look at which school you are coming from as well.

Anyways plzzz pray that i get in becuz its my dream to pursue pharmacy studies.

hi guys! congrats to all who have been accepted.

im still playing the waiting game. i called Gladys mid July and she told me that she cannot reveal to me any information other than the fact that my application is still being considered. On beartracks it still says "decision pending" and i havent heard anything up till now either.

i did bad in my first year of studies, ok in second year and best in my third year of studies. i do not know how to do the gpa conversion since i go to univ of ottawa and they give us a gpa out of 10 as opposed to 4.

btw........my friend got accepted a few years ago with a B average from Ottawa U. I didnt know that Alberta required such a high gpa to be considered. Maybe they look at which school you are coming from as well.

Anyways plzzz pray that i get in becuz its my dream to pursue pharmacy studies.

Good luck:) I hope you can get in:) I am also from school which does not use 4.o gpa scale, but I think you should be fine if your gpa is above A-. Anyway, good luck:)

My gpa is not above A-. I have a B+ pre req average.

Did anyone here anything............im still waiting.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did anyone here anything............im still waiting.

My GPA is higher than yours, but still lower than a 3.7... since (from what I read here) U of A ranks candidates on GPA only, I would say both you and I have just about nil chance of getting in...

I'm thinking of applying to UBC and over to US next year... Don't know why, but UBC had very little people applying this year and the result is people with ~75% GPA getting in.... I'm envious since I have over 75%.... *sigh*

My GPA is higher than yours, but still lower than a 3.7... since (from what I read here) U of A ranks candidates on GPA only, I would say both you and I have just about nil chance of getting in...

I'm thinking of applying to UBC and over to US next year... Don't know why, but UBC had very little people applying this year and the result is people with ~75% GPA getting in.... I'm envious since I have over 75%.... *sigh*

There were still 400+ applicants to UBC Pharmacy this year, i'm not sure what the acceptance average was but they do not go solely by GPA at UBC. There were definitely students with a 75% average accepted, I believe my average was somewhere between a 76 and 78. UBC places considerable weight on the interview, I don't believe U of A does interviews?

randomname said:
... since (from what I read here) U of A ranks candidates on GPA only, I would say both you and I have just about nil chance of getting in...

The U of A doesn't just rank applicants based on GPA. It actually places a considerable amount of weight on the letter of intent, especially on certain questions. I know the website is a bit confusing and it seems like they look only at your GPA, but this isn't true (from what I've been told after talking to people on the admissions committee). There are people in my class with less that stellar GPAs who would definitely not be there if the U of A looked only at your GPA.

Also, I know people in my class that didn't find out that they were accepted until late August, so don't give up hope yet!

I don't believe U of A does interviews?

The U of A doesn't do interviews, but the letter of intent is a sort of interview. The questions that they ask are basically what they feel are most important for evaluating candidates. It's much like (from what I hear) what the U of Saskatchewan uses to evaluate their candidates, only the U of S makes you write it in an afternoon.

The U of A doesn't just rank applicants based on GPA. It actually places a considerable amount of weight on the letter of intent, especially on certain questions. I know the website is a bit confusing and it seems like they look only at your GPA, but this isn't true (from what I've been told after talking to people on the admissions committee). There are people in my class with less that stellar GPAs who would definitely not be there if the U of A looked only at your GPA.

Also, I know people in my class that didn't find out that they were accepted until late August, so don't give up hope yet!

This may be true if you have an exceptional EC + LOR + letter of intent (PS) but according to what I've read here, it's extremely rare. Although technically yes, everyone on the waiting list has a chance of getting in, it's so small it's hardly worth still hoping for it to happen. I'd rather just accept the reality of the situation and if I'm wrong, I'd get a nice surprise.

Does anybody know when we can get our text books yet.. or has anyone got it yet?

As far as I know, the only Canadian school that uses GPA in their admissions process is the University of Alberta. Other schools have posted percent averages on their respective websites.

Also, I noticed some people converting their cumulative percent average to a cumulative GPA. If that were the case, then no one would dread using GPA. Obviously, in order to find your GPA, you have to take the GPA of every course and find the average GPA.

hey guys, just found out im out this year :(

]

Last edited:
Hello, I'm wondering if UofA considers the better mark if you got a D+ in ochem2 the first try. I'm contemplating whether or not I should retake it.. :confused:

I am not sure about how they rank people....
however, in relation to the second question...in order to upgrade your grade.. you will have to take a higher level course in the similar subject area...I dont think repeating the same course will help you in any way...I read this on Ualberta pharmacy website in the FAQ section. ...Q22.. here is the link...hope it helps

http://www.pharmacy.ualberta.ca/FAQ-Undergrad.htm

the link won't work.. So you read that they don't accept courses that are retaken?
My situation is that I got a mark that's not high enough to use as a pre-requisite for a higher level course. So should I retake the course or am I doomed for a life of cardboard box blankets on the street drinking cheap alcohol? :scared:

Hello, I'm wondering if UofA considers the better mark if you got a D+ in ochem2 the first try. I'm contemplating whether or not I should retake it.. :confused:

Since you passed the course, you HAVE TO take the next upper level course. Don't bother taking it again.

If you got an A in 261 but D+ in 263, then take 361.

If you got crappy marks in both 261 and 263 then you have to take 361 and 363 to "over ride" the crappier marks.

I called the pharmacy department, and they said that they consider a D+ as a fail because you need at least a C- to get credits for the course (use the course as a prerequisite). They recommended that I retake the course, which I am planning on doing this spring.

I was also wondering since they look at your two most recent years (as well as the prereq. courses), will they put more emphasis on the prereq or the last two years when considering admission?

I'm standing at around 3.7 (last two years) and 3.5ish for the prereq.