University of Arizona Class of 2013!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Whew... seeing that list got me excited and nervous all at the same time. This is getting really... real.

Got my Hep B shot today and blood drawn for the varicella titer. Also my doc told me I wouldn't see any patients for the first 2 years anyway. But that was her school, not mine. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Also, why doesn't someone tell me that I simply MUST have a cool new laptop for school?!?

I've been thinking about the bridge. What is it really about? Do you know how much the stipend is?

Members don't see this ad :)
I've been thinking about the bridge. What is it really about? Do you know how much the stipend is?

From what I understand, the Bridge Program is designed to help students gain more sophisticated and efficient study skills and time management strategies...therefore it is especially advantageous for students who will be challenged due to family responsibilities (spouses, children, ill parents), a learning disability, those that have had a career change, completed a full-academic program more than 3 years ago, had a non-science major, or did poorly in upper division science coursework. The stipend is $500. The "drafted" schedule for the program is comprised of varied biochemistry lectures, learning methods, integrated learning, exam preparation, and team learning. If you want more specifics I'm sure Dr. Tischler (the director and instructor) would be more than happy to give them to you: [email protected].

Whew... seeing that list got me excited and nervous all at the same time. This is getting really... real.

Got my Hep B shot today and blood drawn for the varicella titer. Also my doc told me I wouldn't see any patients for the first 2 years anyway. But that was her school, not mine. :)

You'll see a patient on the first day :)

1. Boron WF, Boulpaep EL, editors. Medical Physiology : A Cellular and Molecular Approach. 2nd ed. Philadelphia, PA : Saunders/Elsevier, 2009

3. Kumar V, Abul KA, Fausto N, Robbins SL, Cotran RS. Robbins and Cotran Pathologic Basis of Disease. 7th ed. Philadelphia: Elsevier Saunders, 2005

7. Nolte, John. The Human Brain: An Introduction to its Functional Anatomy. 6th ed. St. Louis, Mo: Mosby, 2009

11. Young, Barbara. Wheater's Functional Histology: A Text and Colour Atlas. 5th ed. Churchill Livingstone/ Elsevier, 2006

13. Nolte, John. Essentials of the Human Brain. Philadelphia: Mosby/Elsevier, 2009

14. Nolte, John, and Jay B. Angevine. The Human Brain in Photographs and Diagrams. 3rd edition. Philadelphia: Mosby/Elsevier, 2007

These are the books I considered helpful for 1st year. I used Rohen's Color Atlas of Anatomy instead of Netters. It uses photos of actual cadavers (which is how you are tested). I bought Netters but never used it. I also got a few review books which I think have helped more than any of the above books. In all honesty, I think you could get through first year without ANY of the required books (except Nolte's) with some good review books, your class notes, powerpoints and the anatomy atlas I mentioned. Regardless, you'll feel obligated to buy most of them since they tell you they are required so don't feel bad if you end up wasting $$$ purchasing every single book they throw at you like I did.

Also, why doesn't someone tell me that I simply MUST have a cool new laptop for school?!?

You HAVE to buy a new one. Your crappy old one won't cut it. Why don't you get a red one? =)

Thanks Keisler!

And thanks for the help with the books. Where is the best place to get these books?

ok, must work, must earn money to spend on books (and laptop).

These are the books I considered helpful for 1st year. I used Rohen's Color Atlas of Anatomy instead of Netters. It uses photos of actual cadavers (which is how you are tested). I bought Netters but never used it. I also got a few review books which I think have helped more than any of the above books. In all honesty, I think you could get through first year without ANY of the required books (except Nolte's) with some good review books, your class notes, powerpoints and the anatomy atlas I mentioned. Regardless, you'll feel obligated to buy most of them since they tell you they are required so don't feel bad if you end up wasting $$$ purchasing every single book they throw at you like I did.

Do you mind listing the review books you thought were helpful? How did you connect the review books to the material being covered in med school? In other words, how did/do you organize yourself in terms of incorporating material from the review books to what the professors are expecting you to learn in class, etc.?

Last edited:
Do you mind listing the review books you thought were helpful? How did you connect the review books to the material being covered in med school? In other words, how did/do you organize yourself in terms of incorporating material from the review books to what the professors are expecting you to learn in class, etc.?

The review books are just a good summary of what we are expected to learn in class. Virtually everything you'll need to know for any of the tests will be in the lecture notes that are provided at the beginning of the block so there is really no need to wade through pages and pages of text with the lecture notes at your disposal. There are some texts that are helpful when the lecture notes are difficult to understand (Nolte's text) or when you need something visual to study from (Anatomy, Histology). The review books are good for getting the "big picture" and keeping you from drowning in the minutia of it all. I have used the board review series but others have used first aid, high yield, etc. and swear by them. The content probably doesn't vary dramatically from one review book to another.

Anyway, hope that helps.

The review books are just a good summary of what we are expected to learn in class. Virtually everything you'll need to know for any of the tests will be in the lecture notes that are provided at the beginning of the block so there is really no need to wade through pages and pages of text with the lecture notes at your disposal. There are some texts that are helpful when the lecture notes are difficult to understand (Nolte's text) or when you need something visual to study from (Anatomy, Histology). The review books are good for getting the "big picture" and keeping you from drowning in the minutia of it all. I have used the board review series but others have used first aid, high yield, etc. and swear by them. The content probably doesn't vary dramatically from one review book to another.

Anyway, hope that helps.

Yes, it did. Thank you!

Is anyone else doing the medical student research program this summer?

No, I don't think so--will only be in Tucson for about 1 month before school starts. Are you? But I am interested in it--I got that brochure in the mail, but it didn't really say much. Anyone know more??

Members don't see this ad :)
This is off-topic, but does anyone know where/how we get our books? Do students sell them back or to each other? I'm starting to put together a rough budget and wanted to get an idea of book costs.

Thanks for any info.

This is off-topic, but does anyone know where/how we get our books? Do students sell them back or to each other? I'm starting to put together a rough budget and wanted to get an idea of book costs.

Thanks for any info.

You can get them any where you want. As posted above you can get as many/few as you want. I bought a few different books, and barely bought one book. There is the medical bookstore on the first floor of the college and all books can be found there. But prices vary widely. Most of the books are not so much textbooks as just general ref books. They do have a few books that are used but only a few. The bookstore does give you a card to get two items a month at 10 percent off and a few sales through the year. Many of the books you can buy on amazon, bn.com or half.com for cheaper than the bookstore. I suggest waiting until you get to each block and see what books the block directer suggests you get. Some books I have barely even used and some I use much more often. But find what works for you and not just what review books or textbooks people say you have to have. Then go shopping online for the best price. Just be cautious of edition numbers.

Also the library has reserve copies that have to be left in the reference area of all the textbooks. Great way to see if the diagrams and summaries are helpful. I know Medman posted his booklist and I thought I would post mine as well

1. Boron WF, Boulpaep EL, editors. Medical Physiology : A Cellular and Molecular Approach. 2nd ed. Philadelphia, PA : Saunders/Elsevier, 2009 - Didnt use this book until CPR and while very dense its got great information, and diagrams are decent, I also like costanza as well

3. Kumar V, Abul KA, Fausto N, Robbins SL, Cotran RS. Robbins and Cotran Pathologic Basis of Disease. 7th ed. Philadelphia: Elsevier Saunders, 2005 - The bible of medical school, 1500 pages I think and very very useful

7. Nolte, John. The Human Brain: An Introduction to its Functional Anatomy. 6th ed. St. Louis, Mo: Mosby, 2009 - Got to have this book for neuro, lol He literally wrote the book that many med schools use for neuro courses. But all figures are the same from lectures

11. Young, Barbara. Wheater's Functional Histology: A Text and Colour Atlas. 5th ed. Churchill Livingstone/ Elsevier, 2006 - Nice but I really dont use it, but everyone told me to get it, all the path pics are usually pretty well presented in lecture

13. Nolte, John. Essentials of the Human Brain. Philadelphia: Mosby/Elsevier, 2009 - Nice summaries, but same diagrams as his book

14. Nolte, John, and Jay B. Angevine. The Human Brain in Photographs and Diagrams. 3rd edition. Philadelphia: Mosby/Elsevier, 2007 - I couldnt have gotten the neuro anatomy questions on the quizzes with out this book

First-Aid for Step one - Dont think of it just for boards, but to also quickly review organ systems for block finals. Many handy mnemonics and tricks to get the material down.

Netters Anatomy - The other medical students bible. However its all illustrations, I also used Rohen for musculoskeletal since it is basically Netters but done with cadaver photos and labelled. But you might get funny looks from Starbucks staff when you study.

Langmans Embryology (Sadler) - So many schools use this for medical embryo. I found the random one or two lectures for some blocks confusing and I liked going through this book

Might not make it back from Mexico guys the swine flu is crazy here, ha.
Has anyone gotten there professional picture done yet. I know it says no digital pictures, but where I got my passport picture done (Wallgreens) there just used a digital camera. Ummmmmmm. Any suggestions since I am not in the US? What are you guys doing?

Last edited:
Might not make it back from Mexico guys the swine flu is crazy here, ha.
Has anyone gotten there professional picture done yet. I know it says no digital pictures, but where I got my passport picture done (Wallgreens) there just used a digital camera. Ummmmmmm. Any suggestions since I am not in the US? What are you guys doing?

I think you may have read the directions wrong, mine says "You MUST submit a digital photograph"...so you are in the clear! Even though it says to not use your personal camera, I am going to have my husband take it at home because I know it will turn out more professional than Wallgreens (he even has a pull-down background).

I was looking at my awards info (aka loans). I suppose AWARDS sounds more positive then BIG DEBT.

I will need to take some mula, but not the whole amount. Has anyone moved forward with taking the loans?? Or is that option not available yet??

Also, the listserv has good info, books for sale, people looking for roomates etc. (also a lot of playfulness).

I'm mostly writing because I think it's about time someone did!

I was just looking through this thread and was wondering if all the information listed about books and computer specs was for specifically tucson, or both campuses and where you guys are getting this information? I dont own a computer at the moment so it would be good to have the information before purchasing one. Thanks for any help

I was just looking through this thread and was wondering if all the information listed about books and computer specs was for specifically tucson, or both campuses and where you guys are getting this information? I dont own a computer at the moment so it would be good to have the information before purchasing one. Thanks for any help

A lot of the stuff has been for Tucson. The Tucson orientation site for class of 2013 has a lot of info. I am not sure if there is a similar website for phx. The Tucson site has the laptop requirements. I think they are more strenuous for phx- may require a tablet.

Got a spot in 2012 as well :)

Also I'm in Tempe and didn't want to drive into phx for the fingerprint application. So I called the DPS and they sent me an app in the mail, no charge.

First of all I want to say whats up to my new classmates. 2013 FTW.

When the waitlist moves a bit further I think Im going to throw a bbq and your all invited.

I have a question, Im def going to get a new computer Im just wondering how you all plan to do it seeing as we don't get our funds until 5 days before class starts?

Oh yea got a 2012 parking spot as well. sweeeet.

:beat:

Welcome HereICome! Enjoy your moment :)

Ahem...2012 parking space for yours truly! yay! they should change the number to 2013 to match our graduation date...

Ciao!

I was looking at my awards info (aka loans). I suppose AWARDS sounds more positive then BIG DEBT.

I will need to take some mula, but not the whole amount. Has anyone moved forward with taking the loans?? Or is that option not available yet??

Also, the listserv has good info, books for sale, people looking for roomates etc. (also a lot of playfulness).

I'm mostly writing because I think it's about time someone did!

What's this listserv you're talking about? Do they have one for Phx?

I'm referring to the U of A webmail service where a lot of stuff gets posted for the COM. I had to give them my email from U of A to get put on the med school list. I used the instructions from the Tucson orientation site.

I don't know if phx has a similar way of getting out info.

LOL this thread seems dead. So how do you guys plan on buying books and laptops before we get our funds?

And thanks Natrides

Last edited:
This thread is quieter. But I think most people are busy working and getting through all the to-dos required before school starts.

I'll wait on most books until I see what the profs say is needed. But I will buy First Aid and a few other books soon. As for paying for them and the laptop- I have some money saved and there is always the friend(not) we will all be getting to know well- credit.

UGHH I got waitlisted for 2012!!! Great... another waitlist. But I got one close by so I'm sure it won't be too dreaded. And natrides I agree, I thinking waiting is a smart choice, especially since the 2012ers have said that there are many books they have never used. Getting excited for the fall!!! With graduation done... it's feeling real!!

I have a question for the current students. My partner has asked about stethascopes and if there is a recommended type/brand and if the school has any kind of program where you buy through them and get a discount?

Hmmmm... I wonder if I will be getting a stethascope for my birthday????

stethoscope:oops: And I've been reading up on them. Littman II or III seem to be popular choices.

I have a question for the current students. My partner has asked about stethascopes and if there is a recommended type/brand and if the school has any kind of program where you buy through them and get a discount?

Hmmmm... I wonder if I will be getting a stethascope for my birthday????

Just get one that's cheap. If you can hear someones heart while using it you're in good shape. Once you become a cardiologist, then you can get the $10K electronic stethoscope with analyzer software and a built in ECG.

Post.

Glad to be part of the in group now. :)

I'm hoping to find a UA - phx student to follow around tomorrow to help me make my decision. I've sent Dr. Rawls an email. I feel like I'm leaning towards UA as of now :D, but I just want to make sure everything seems as well-organized, etc. as it does at Wake.

Woo hoo, I'm excited to soon be a medical servant! Er... I mean... student.

YAAAY!! Love to see you on here MadEvans :)

I just bought the book My Own Country today that we are supposed to read for Prologue. Has anyone bought/ started it yet? I think I'll read it when it gets closer to July 30, since I'll probably forget everything about it if I read it now haha

Hi lovemed~ Yes, I have started My Own Country just this week--only abot 50 pages in so far, but it's very good! I love medical memoirs. I thought about waiting until later as well, but I think reading an officially "required reading" makes me feel like I am really in med school ;) Hope you enjoy it.

I just bought the book My Own Country today that we are supposed to read for Prologue. Has anyone bought/ started it yet? I think I'll read it when it gets closer to July 30, since I'll probably forget everything about it if I read it now haha

CONGRATS Madevans!!

I read the book just recently as I had some time on my hands. It was a great read. I found it used for about $3. I also saw First Aid 2009 on sale, so I just up and bought it!! Crazy, but I knew I wanted to work with a review book to provide a framework during classes. Starting to feel real... :eek:

Has anyone heard anything on the Bridge Program yet?

Boop. Posting as well. Questions: What is this digital photo you guys are talking about? Also, do we register for all of the classes now? All 4 or 5 of them?

Mr. Lovethemed, I have most recently checked out the book from the public library. It was free as long as I don't lose it or return it late. Such is the way of the library. I have read the first 100 pages. I don't think we'll be tested upon the My own Country, henceforth I am not concerned about forgetting details. I am simply reading for my own pleasure. As the poet says: i read the book, I become the book, the summer night become the book, and i become the summer night. Something like that. I should write my own memoir.

This is a question for any current med students who run or bike to campus in the morning, or any who just know the answer regardless of how they get to campus :)

Are there shower and hygiene facilities that students can use if they run or bike to campus? I want to run and bike, but the last thing I want to do is sit in class smelling like I just...well...ran or biked across Tucson :barf:

Wannabedoctora- you can go ahead and register for classes if you want. You may have to call the school and get your student ID number and then make a net ID. All of this is on the Tucson Orientation website they will give you a link to, as is the info on the digital photo.

So is anyone attending the Bridge Program? I got the email last night and decided to do it. (Wake up brain! No more Calvin and Hobbes for you! Well maybe a little.)

Hi Natrides,

Did you already hear that you have been accepted to the bridge program? I applied for it, but haven't heard anything back yet. I hope they let me do it--I feel I could use all the help I can get!

Last edited:
I got the acceptance email today for the Bridge Program, and will be attending as well! I am excited to get a head start meeting our class and learn some handy study tricks ;) See ya there, Natrides!

I got rejected from Bridge. Turns out they have maybe 28 spots, and about 35 people applied. So some of you guys should decide not to do it, because I really wanted to... =) On the other hand, it's one more week I can work.

A current 2nd year told me they have a workshop at the beginning of the year where you can try out different kinds of stethoscopes and see which one works best for you. I was hoping for one for my b-day too, but my family thought that was a stupid gift, apparently. Don't they know me?!

As far as shower facilities, I think the only showers are in the gym at UMC. Or on some of the units in the locker rooms (yuck). Membership there isn't too much; I'm planning on joining once school starts. And thanks for not wanting to smell up the class!

Has anyone else gotten their fingerprinting done yet? How long does it take to get the card back in the mail once you've submitted it?

Thanks for the stethoscope advice. I'll tell the fam to wait a bit. Just give me some nice green pieces of paper...

I did the fingerprinting last week. I think it takes a few weeks to come back.

My question: Do you have to come to Tucson to buy the cat card? Maybe I'll try and call them Monday if no one knows.

Looking forward to meeting you as well pasdechat.

I have a funny stethoscope story. My grandfather, who is a retired OB-GYN, was so excited when I got into medical school that the very day I found out he presented me with me his old stethoscope, BP cuff and reflex hammer...too cute :)

Yeah, I'm pretty sure you have to come to Tucson, because they take your picture. They charged me $25, because I don't have my old Cat Card from when I graduated 2 years ago! Ridiculous! I would have thought it wouldn't be valid. Oh well.

That was really nice of your grandpa! I'll bet he is excited. =)

It mentions a CD/DVD drive is required for laptops, but is it REALLY? I have a desktop computer at home with an optical drive, but my laptop doesn't have one. It meets the rest of the specifications.

Any medical students have any insight on this?

If I need to get a new laptop, I'm thinking about a tablet PC. Is anyone else considering tablet? It's just when I study I like to re-write my notes, and I think I'd like writing on a computer screen and saving some paper. I guess I should actually try it out at the store first, though.

Um, nevermind. I just bought a new laptop. Ha. :laugh:

Now, how am I going to eat for the next month... Hmmmm.