University of Arizona Class of 2013!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What kind of laptop did you buy MadEvans? Anyone set on getting a Mac? If so, a Macbook or Macbook Pro? Ill probably get a new laptop this month and still do not know what I should get. I looked at the requirements they posted, seems like you could really get any brand you want...

Members don't see this ad.

Im gonna get a macbook air with that solid state drive. Ive always loved how thin the air was, and Im gonna dual boot vista on there as well.

I'm getting a MacBook. All my roomies have them and they are such amazing computers... and they have had sooo many fewer probs than my PC. Guess the Mac commercials are right haha

Members don't see this ad :)
I thought I would add my two cents about books...

I really like Langman's embryology, it makes the confusing lecture notes make perfect sense...to me anyways. Not everyone agrees with that statement.

I LOVE BRS Physiology. Coming from a background with NO physiology this book made my life easier and I'm sad I didn't come across it until the year was half over. It's awesome and so clear and easy to understand.

Also I wouldn't worry about computers very much, you just need to be able to access the internet for online exams. I don't know why you would need a cd drive, except for the fact you wouldn't be able to get all the awesome software they give out. Still, its not absolutely necessary software.

Lastly, I wouldn't be too sad about not getting Bridge. This has been the LONGEST year of my life and I enjoyed every minute of my summer before med school.

Lastly, I wouldn't be too sad about not getting Bridge. This has been the LONGEST year of my life and I enjoyed every minute of my summer before med school.

Best advice I've heard on SDN. Bridge is just a way for med school to rob you of another week of what could be your last summer. UA is one of only a few schools that starts as early as July 30th and doesn't end for summer break until the first week of June. As was said before, that makes for a long and tiring academic year. Just relax and enjoy the time you have before school starts.

Hey guys, i'll be coming to tucson this fall, can't wait for the years of fun and entertainment up ahead!

As far as laptops go, ive had my eye on the one MadEvans bought and it seems to be a really good one. HP.com tends to have a lot of sales on it anywhere from 5-30% off (when it happens, it usually shows up on www.edealinfo.com). Otherwise, you can also sign in to HP.com with an academic discount (being a UA student) and get some bucks off. Thats what I'm planning to do and it seems to work nicely.

Hey guys, i'll be coming to tucson this fall, can't wait for the years of fun and entertainment up ahead!

As far as laptops go, ive had my eye on the one MadEvans bought and it seems to be a really good one. HP.com tends to have a lot of sales on it anywhere from 5-30% off (when it happens, it usually shows up on www.edealinfo.com). Otherwise, you can also sign in to HP.com with an academic discount (being a UA student) and get some bucks off. Thats what I'm planning to do and it seems to work nicely.

Yeah, I am loving the PC I bought so far. Speaking of deals, I had JUST missed this one http://www.logicbuy.com/deals/Coupon-HP-Pavilion-HDX-Laptops/7889.aspx when I bought.

Good advice to keep on the lookout for online coupons, they can save you some serious $$.

I just bought a Toshiba last year. I like it but it has Windows Vista Home Premium which the web site say "CAN'T HAVE". What should I do?

So for the digital picture: it says we must wear professional attire...did you guys wear a suit jacket in the picture, just a collared shirt, or what? I know it is just a small photo, but I would hate to do it wrong and have to redo it.

Also, did anyone here in Tucson go to a Wallgreens or something and it worked out well? If you could let me know where you went that it turned out fine, I'd appreciate it! (I ask because I think earlier on this thread someone said they went somewhere and it turned out bad)

I got mine done at Walgreen's, and it looked terrible! I asked my husband and a few of my friends, and they all agreed. I wound up just taking it with my own camera, and took several and let my friends vote, lol. And I just wore a black v-neck t-shirt. I haven't heard from anyone that their Walgreen's one turned out well, and it is a little pricey to get it done there (like $7 or $8). Feel free to send me your pic and I'll give you my opinion!

So for the digital picture: it says we must wear professional attire...did you guys wear a suit jacket in the picture, just a collared shirt, or what? I know it is just a small photo, but I would hate to do it wrong and have to redo it.

Also, did anyone here in Tucson go to a Wallgreens or something and it worked out well? If you could let me know where you went that it turned out fine, I'd appreciate it! (I ask because I think earlier on this thread someone said they went somewhere and it turned out bad)

Could professional attire mean a white coat?

I also had a question for current med. students or anyone who knows: what is the gym for med. students like and where is it located exactly (for the Tucson campus). Finally, how much is membership and what facilities does the gym have (i.e. treadmill, etc.)?

Thanks a bunch!

Members don't see this ad :)
How did you get the one you took at home to be 300 dpi? I tried to do it, but my image is only 72 dpi.

I got mine done at Walgreen's, and it looked terrible! I asked my husband and a few of my friends, and they all agreed. I wound up just taking it with my own camera, and took several and let my friends vote, lol. And I just wore a black v-neck t-shirt. I haven't heard from anyone that their Walgreen's one turned out well, and it is a little pricey to get it done there (like $7 or $8). Feel free to send me your pic and I'll give you my opinion!

To be honest, I have no idea. I don't even know how to tell. :laugh: I figure if it isn't okay, they will just email me and tell me to redo it.

How did you get the one you took at home to be 300 dpi? I tried to do it, but my image is only 72 dpi.

There is a gym in the hospital and as a student you pay (automatically included in you tuition) to use the main student gym. The hospital gym is for UMC employess and AHSC students only. It is $15 a month. They have treadmills, stationary bikes, stair climbers, eliptical machines, rowing machines, free weights, and machines. They also have state of the art air compression towers (the same equipment they use for functional training of professional athletes) that arephenomenol! There is a yoga room that has step equipment, jump ropes a punching bag and is used for both free classes and pay classes through the week. I have been a member there for several months and I really enjoy it. You should def check it out once you get to Tucson. It is located at the far North end of the main hospital. Hope this helps....
Could professional attire mean a white coat?

I also had a question for current med. students or anyone who knows: what is the gym for med. students like and where is it located exactly (for the Tucson campus). Finally, how much is membership and what facilities does the gym have (i.e. treadmill, etc.)?

Thanks a bunch!

There is a gym in the hospital and as a student you pay (automatically included in you tuition) to use the main student gym. The hospital gym is for UMC employess and AHSC students only. It is $15 a month. They have treadmills, stationary bikes, stair climbers, eliptical machines, rowing machines, free weights, and machines. They also have state of the art air compression towers (the same equipment they use for functional training of professional athletes) that arephenomenol! There is a yoga room that has step equipment, jump ropes a punching bag and is used for both free classes and pay classes through the week. I have been a member there for several months and I really enjoy it. You should def check it out once you get to Tucson. It is located at the far North end of the main hospital. Hope this helps....

Fabulous! Thank you so much nphnic! I will be sure to check it out! :)

Okay, I think we all need to start posting the pictures we are submitting for our class photo. Somebody go first. =)

Welcome!

I know several residents that live in that area, and seem to like it. I live near Campbell and Glenn, and love it because it's so close. Did you just move to Tucson?

I did my look book. Included pictures of my family and I (I have a big one), and that's about it. I made mine on the computer, though, so it looks a lot cleaner than that example they posted. =)

hi all,
my first post here... ill be going to tucson and cant wait.

where is everyone living in tucson? i signed a lease at rio cancion (campbell and river ish). anyone nearby?

anyone do their look-book thing? recommendations?

Welcome!

I know several residents that live in that area, and seem to like it. I live near Campbell and Glenn, and love it because it's so close. Did you just move to Tucson?

I did my look book. Included pictures of my family and I (I have a big one), and that's about it. I made mine on the computer, though, so it looks a lot cleaner than that example they posted. =)

hi all,

where is everyone living in tucson? i signed a lease at rio cancion (campbell and river ish). anyone nearby?

Welcome!

hi all,

hi all,

I'm on River & 1st at Valley View Apts-pretty close!

Hey Guys,

I am going to be a fourth year med student at the UA. I would like to live with other med students if possible; trying to put the word out there!

Attachments

• House for Rent.doc
    161.5 KB · Views: 144
hey guys, so i was just wondering is that july 8 deadline for buying laptops is tentative, or are they planning on checking somehow. I know that we need it by orientation and im waiting for some good deals on mine to come by.

Just a head's up for you Tucson folks that the COM bookstore has a sale on all medical supplies every third Wednesday, Thursday and Friday of each month...I'll be stopping by this month to get my stethoscope. Anyone know what other supplies we will be needing?

It's July tomorrow, which means school is just around the corner...can't wait!

Anyone know what day we get our first disbursement?

3-5 days before the first day of classes depending on your loan company and your disbursement method. Most people prefer the quicker direct deposit over picking up a check at bursars office.

Hey everybody, just wanted to say congrats on getting into UofA an I hope you enjoy every last minute of your summer!!!!

I'm a 3rd year looking to sell all my 1st and 2nd year textbooks and review books, most of them are basically brand new (opened once or twice, or read but no book binding broken, all the cd's in their cases) the others are in really good condition with a little yellow highlighting on a couple of pages (I'm nice to my books). Since the boards are behind me, I don't need them anymore and need to make room on my bookshelves so I can buy all those books for
3rd year!

I'm selling cheaper than the bookstore and no shipping like Amazon :)
I'm in Tucson for 3rd year so I can drop them off at school and if you're in Phoenix I can get them sent up there for ya.

E-mail me at [email protected]

and let me know what you want :) Or, if you have any general questions about the U, feel free to ask those too.

Here's what I have from all those lovely required texts available immediately:

For Societies (new): Textbook of Physical Diagnosis and CD
Lange, The Patient History
(no writing, book bindings in tact, cd's come with)

For Classes - all in new condition:

Medical Physiology (Boron and Boulpaep)
Essential of Musculoskeletal Care
Harper's Illustrated Biochemistry
Illustrated Biochemistry, Lange
Pathologic Basis of Disease (Robbins and Cotran) aka "the bible" :)
*Behavioral Science in Medicine (Fadem)
*Gross Anatomy - Boards Review Series (great resource!) 5th ed.
*Medical Microbiology , Lange
*Clinical Pharmacology made Ridiculously Simple 3rd ed.
*The Immune System, Parham
* Pathology, Boards Review Series (another great class resource)
*Color Atlas of Anatomy (AMAZING gross anatomy resource, all color real picturs of cadavers, layer by layer, I used it for out of the lab studying and in -lab identification)
*The Human Brain - Nolte
*Step Up to the USMLE - for some reason I accidentally ordered two of these from Amazon, so I have one with just yellow highlighting. They're really good resources to use as you go through class. I used them to help prepare for tests, but also to mark down what we did and didn't learn in class so that when boards came around I was already familiar with my review books.

Is that 3-5 days before orientation Jul 30 or 3-5 days before the actual beginning of class Aug 3? I'm interested because I got bills to pay and a net cash flow of 0.

Is that 3-5 days before orientation Jul 30 or 3-5 days before the actual beginning of class Aug 3? I'm interested because I got bills to pay and a net cash flow of 0.

I think you'll have to check with your lender for exact dispersement dates...mine has promised 10 days before the start of classes (August 3rd for Tucson), and I just got a letter from my lender with the expected dispersement date of 7/21/09.

Hmmm it sounds like you went with discover which is what I did. No fees FTW! Is this true? I got the letter that said the 21st as well but was unsure if we would actually get it that day.

I think you'll have to check with your lender for exact dispersement dates...mine has promised 10 days before the start of classes (August 3rd for Tucson), and I just got a letter from my lender with the expected dispersement date of 7/21/09.

Hmmm it sounds like you went with discover which is what I did. No fees FTW! Is this true? I got the letter that said the 21st as well but was unsure if we would actually get it that day.

Well thats when they release the money to UofA, then UofA processes it and credits your account, then usually 2 days for it to kick out to direct deposit

Yes, discover has no fees, which is why I went with them, so lucky us! So, taking Kros's comment into consideration, perhaps we will get the money on the 23rd or so? I hope, because I need the money badly!!

Anyone know what the dress is for orientation? Jeans okay, or do we need to dress up?

Okay, so I just checked my loan status (on the Discover website) and it stated I would get my loans disbursed on the 21st of July as well.

But my Student Link doesn't say "Success" in the loan boxes...anyone have their loan status as "Success" in Student Link?

I think I will have to make a few phone calls this week..............+pity+

I'm wondering the same thing keisler. I was hoping to just wear jeans and a polo but I'm not sure. Also thankgod my studentlink has sucess is every box except the disbursement one I think. I can't check because studentlnk is being a pos. Did you do the little online loan activity thing they require you to do?

I'm wondering the same thing keisler. I was hoping to just wear jeans and a polo but I'm not sure. Also thankgod my studentlink has sucess is every box except the disbursement one I think. I can't check because studentlnk is being a pos. Did you do the little online loan activity thing they require you to do?

Thanks for the help HereIComeSEALS....I can't check at the moment (StudentLink is still down). But now I know that the boxes should say "Success" I will follow through as is necessary :D

Thanks again!

No prob TG. I just checked today and yea it says success in every box except for disbursement. By the way does anyone know when we get to take a look at the lookbook??? I had thought it was optional and wasn't going to do one but they said I should. I just want to see all the peeps in our class.

No prob TG. I just checked today and yea it says success in every box except for disbursement. By the way does anyone know when we get to take a look at the lookbook??? I had thought it was optional and wasn't going to do one but they said I should. I just want to see all the peeps in our class.

If I'm not mistaken, I think we get copies of the LookBook during orientation...along with all the other specifics such as our exact schedules (time/room/etc.) and so on.

The LookBook is somewhat of a yearbook...I think every class has it and the faculty, etc. get a copy of it too. I can't wait to see everyone else in our class! :clap:

Hey Everyone! I just wanted to let you all know that my ArizonaMed is up and working--I'm not sure if its because I am in the Bridge Program, or if they have it up for the whole class, but you should check it out. There is a link to AZMed on the Orientation website and you log in with your UA netID and password. It's pretty cool!! It has the detailed schedule for Bridge, Prologue and Foundations...which makes me a little nervous but also very excited!! :)

Hey Everyone! I just wanted to let you all know that my ArizonaMed is up and working--I'm not sure if its because I am in the Bridge Program, or if they have it up for the whole class, but you should check it out. There is a link to AZMed on the Orientation website and you log in with your UA netID and password. It's pretty cool!! It has the detailed schedule for Bridge, Prologue and Foundations...which makes me a little nervous but also very excited!! :)

Thanks so much for sharing pasdechat! Also, on the Special Events site, a detailed orientation schedule along with who our keynote speaker will be for the white coat ceremony has been posted...

Thanks for the info. Seeing all those classes and labs made my heart go pitter pat. Bout to get it on! And it looks like they are having a class bonding ropes course deal on the Sat. after orientation. That sounds ok... or it is really our first lab... on avoiding heat stroke and hydration??? I wonder...

Can't wait to meet everyone and start this adventure we've all decided to undertake.

Its really about the Gentle Bens that night! A chance to get to know most of the second years and your class :cool:

I was looking at that orientation schedule and I saw that ropes thing on sat. Anyone know if this is mandatory?? Lol I don't really want to go so I hope it isn't. That kind of stuff is dull to me IMHO.

I'm nervous... Moving to Tucson today!!! Bridge program starts Wed. and then a part of life either begins or ends- depends on how you look at it ;)

Don't forget your third years, KC, if we're lucky enough to not have call that night we will be there grubbing for free food as well ;)

Its really about the Gentle Bens that night! A chance to get to know most of the second years and your class :cool:

I emailed Becky in the Special Events office about the appropriate dress for orientation. She told me:

"I would say slacks simply because you are meeting key administrators and faculty."

I, however, think we should all agree just to wear jeans, because it will be so much more comfortable! Seriously. I hate playing dress up.

So for the fingerprints (which I put off and going to do Monday)...do we need to pick up the "packet" from the Admissions Office or everything we need will be at TPD or the place we go to get fingerprinted?