University of British Columbia Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey,

Here is a really useful app to calculate your tuition, living expenses etc.

The standard tuition for pharmacy student is $ 7700.....:eek:
http://www.students.ubc.ca/youbc/va/costs.cfm

Yeah I have seen that app but wasn't sure about the accuracy.

U of A just bumped up their tuition a year or two ago. It's $10 000 a year. Yikes! Seems like that justifies the higher cost of living in Vancouver if I go that route. Looks like thiings seem to balance out depending on how you look at it.

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone know where I can get information regarding my immunization history if I received some of the required vaccinations in high school/elementary?

I tried contacting the high school I attended and no luck.

Family doctor is useless too.

Also, how are we suppose to remember the exact date we got chicken pox?!

I think you can talk to your public health unit. That's what someone told me and they'll go through it with you.

For the college application... What are you guys using as your proof of registration? Also when are you guys planning on submitting that?

I think you can talk to your public health unit. That's what someone told me and they'll go through it with you.

For the college application... What are you guys using as your proof of registration? Also when are you guys planning on submitting that?

Hey Gladd,

Thanks for the response.

For proof of enrolment, log onto ubc ssc and select the "grades and records" tab and choose "proof of enrolment letters". I believe you can just print this and attach it to the form.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Gladd,

Thanks for the response.

For proof of enrolment, log onto ubc ssc and select the "grades and records" tab and choose "proof of enrolment letters". I believe you can just print this and attach it to the form.

Hey thanks. I thought that might be enough. But it says registered in 0 credits... So I'm not sure if that's okay. Are we supposed to wait until after we register? I dunno :S

Anyone know where I can get information regarding my immunization history if I received some of the required vaccinations in high school/elementary?

I tried contacting the high school I attended and no luck.

Family doctor is useless too.

Also, how are we suppose to remember the exact date we got chicken pox?!

If you don't have proper documentation (ie from your childhood family doctor), you'll either have to get re-vaccinated (might be due for some boosters anyway) or get antibody titres. I will also mention they are extremely rigid with immunizations. You MUST be able to provide a date & physician/nurse signature. I didn't have a date for when I had chicken pox as kid, but my childhood family doctor signed off on it....months later (during exams of course) I was told my immunization record was incomplete and had to get an antibody titre. Also, recent changes now require that you must have received TWO MMR doses (not just one). Again, if you only provide documentation for one dose, they will contact you (during exams) asking you to provide documentation of both doses, or get a second dose.

So, if your documentation is at all incomplete, just get re-vaccinated or get an antibody titre NOW to save yourself the trouble, because they WILL harass you about it during exams.

From the e-mail:
"Once your admission has been processed, you can check your registration date on the SSC (Student Service Centre) and, after that, you will receive an official admission letter from the Undergraduate Admissions Office."

I thought that's what the College wanted us to submit? Not proof of registration? :confused:

For cOllege of pharmacist app, you need a copy of the official acceptance letter from enrollment services, not the one you print off from ssc.:oops:

So we have to wait for the one in the mail and photocopy it? Or go to Brock Hall?

Cause I don't wanna go all the way to UBC to grab one considering I am like 90 minutes away from it. :(

So we have to wait for the one in the mail and photocopy it? Or go to Brock Hall?

Cause I don't wanna go all the way to UBC to grab one considering I am like 90 minutes away from it. :(

I think you should just wait for the mail to arrive. Mine came in three days ago and the letter was dated June 29th, hang in there! :laugh:

I think you should just wait for the mail to arrive. Mine came in three days ago and the letter was dated June 29th, hang in there! :laugh:

Haha okay! I was just wondering if the letter in the mail was good enough or we had to go to brock hall. But yeah.. i'll wait for the mail!

whaaat, 3 days ago?! i haven't gotten mine yet and i'm in vancouver!

I just found out yesterday that I have completed all the requirements of being a pharmacist in the beautiful province of BC! I would like to take this opportunity to say to all future colleagues: congratulations and good luck!

I look back on the last four years and realize now that I had wasted too many hours in self-doubt and pessimism regarding the future of the profession and my own job prospects, when my time would have been better spent on enjoying the experience. So study hard and know that you are (or will be) well prepared and supported for the changing practice of pharmacy. Congratulations again and have fun!

Members don't see this ad :)
^Congrats to you!

Does anybody know for the Pharm Structed Practical Experience courses like 369, do they place you in pharmacies themselves? Do you get a choice? Is it your responsibility to find a pharmacy or do they find one for you? If they do... is it always in Van? How does it work?

^Congrats to you!

Does anybody know for the Pharm Structed Practical Experience courses like 369, do they place you in pharmacies themselves? Do you get a choice? Is it your responsibility to find a pharmacy or do they find one for you? How does it work?

For 369, you need to find a pharmacy yourself; for the other ones, you'll be randomly assigned by a computer program to a participating BC pharmacy.

For 369, you need to find a pharmacy yourself; for the other ones, you'll be randomly assigned by a computer program to a participating BC pharmacy.

Oh okay thanks. Is it generally hard to find a pharmacy especially when there are 224 people looking?

Oh okay thanks. Is it generally hard to find a pharmacy especially when there are 224 people looking?

There's definitely a lot of leg work on the part of the students, and it might be a bit more challenging with the increase in class size, but if you are really desperate I think SPEP can step in and assist you. In the end, everyone gets a placement though, so I wouldn't worry too much.

You are given a list with all the pharmacies in BC with addresses and phone numbers. At first I went to some pharmacies in person but didn't land anything, ended up just calling all the pharmacies I was willing to go to depending on their location. Probably called about 30 or 40 of them before I got my pharmacy.

Alright... thanks guys! I guess I'll worry about that in a couple of years! I was just thinking of my housing situation.

Tick tock tick tock... lllix is still deciding which school to attend. Alright guys, sell UBC to me since I know you all want me as your classmate =)

Tick tock tick tock... lllix is still deciding which school to attend. Alright guys, sell UBC to me since I know you all want me as your classmate =)

You'll get to be in a shiny new building starting in your second year! There's one reason. Unfortunately I miss this as I grad next year and it isn't scheduled for opening until September 2012.

You are given a list with all the pharmacies in BC with addresses and phone numbers. At first I went to some pharmacies in person but didn't land anything, ended up just calling all the pharmacies I was willing to go to depending on their location. Probably called about 30 or 40 of them before I got my pharmacy.

30 or 40?? That's rough. I was successful with my first choice, although it was for a small town so maybe that was the difference

30 or 40?? That's rough. I was successful with my first choice, although it was for a small town so maybe that was the difference

Yeah, I was trying for Vancouver proper. A lot of them didn't want to take a student, which is understandable. It was probably just bad luck......

Most beautiful campus in the country. Maybe even other countries.

Vancouver is an amazing city. Great nightlife, outdoors, lots of things to do.

We get a stellar new building.

Beaches surround us.

It's not Edmonton.

Lol... I am more selling Vancouver than UBC.

Most beautiful campus in the country. Maybe even other countries.

Vancouver is an amazing city. Great nightlife, outdoors, lots of things to do.

We get a stellar new building.

Beaches surround us.

It's not Edmonton.

Lol... I am more selling Vancouver than UBC.

I would say the big seller for the UBC vote is the Vancouver lifestyle. It is definitely a very different experience compared to Edmonton/Calgary (more or less the same place in my opinion). The thing that is sort of making me wonder about Alberta is the fact that from what I can tell from their curriculum, they jump into pretty much one hundred percent pharm-specific courses right away and don't seem to fool around with organic and biochem and stats (which are pre-reqs anyway) or anatomy and physiology and such. I have exemptions for most of the non-pharm stuff at UBC for first year, so if I go to UBC I am wondering if I am missing out on something curriculum-wise since they really seem to delay the pharmacy specific content.

Has anyone else compared their curriculums and have an opinion on it?

Yeah, I was trying for Vancouver proper. A lot of them didn't want to take a student, which is understandable. It was probably just bad luck......

This is for the 160 hours we have to do in the summer of third and fourth year right? Is it paid or unpaid?

I would say the big seller for the UBC vote is the Vancouver lifestyle. It is definitely a very different experience compared to Edmonton/Calgary (more or less the same place in my opinion). The thing that is sort of making me wonder about Alberta is the fact that from what I can tell from their curriculum, they jump into pretty much one hundred percent pharm-specific courses right away and don't seem to fool around with organic and biochem and stats (which are pre-reqs anyway) or anatomy and physiology and such. I have exemptions for most of the non-pharm stuff at UBC for first year, so if I go to UBC I am wondering if I am missing out on something curriculum-wise since they really seem to delay the pharmacy specific content.

I think a lot of schools are pushing more classes directly related to pharmacy now. UofT for example changed their curriculum for the upcoming year (pushing for a pharmd) and they jump deep into pharm stuff first year now. UofA has the same idea.

The reason why UBC can't do that is because they require only that 1 year of prereqs. So everyone who got in after first year hasn't done any of that. Everyone I've talked to has said first year pharm is pretty boring at UBC and you don't actually start learning the good stuff until second year. So that's a bit of a drag.

But I don't think we're going to "miss out." Our second and third years seem pretty packed full of those pharm courses. The program must cover everything we need to learn and fully prepare us, right? I hope.

First year will probably a bit boring. But I'm looking forward to a slack year. :laugh:

I think a lot of schools are pushing more classes directly related to pharmacy now. UofT for example changed their curriculum for the upcoming year (pushing for a pharmd) and they jump deep into pharm stuff first year now. UofA has the same idea.

The reason why UBC can't do that is because they require only that 1 year of prereqs. So everyone who got in after first year hasn't done any of that. Everyone I've talked to has said first year pharm is pretty boring at UBC and you don't actually start learning the good stuff until second year. So that's a bit of a drag.

But I don't think we're going to "miss out." Our second and third years seem pretty packed full of those pharm courses. The program must cover everything we need to learn and fully prepare us, right? I hope.

First year will probably a bit boring. But I'm looking forward to a slack year. :laugh:

Yeah, that's what I guessed the reason was too. It's sort of unfortunate, too (personally I think that UBC should consider increasing the number of pre-reqs so you can't just apply after one year). At the end of the day, we all get accredited pharm degrees no matter where we graduate, but yeah, I do wonder how they cram the rest of it in... it would really be nice to get a couple second year courses out of the way.

I wouldn't say that UBC misses anything as far as curriculum goes, but I will say that after first year you really don't feel any more competent than before you enter the program. But after second and third year, which are very course intensive, you will feel like you have the necessary knowledge base to be a fully competent pharmacist, although it will still take time once you graduate to gain the confidence to practice to your full potential (but it would be like this at any school). UBC constantly re-evaluates the curriculum. This curriculum was introduced in 2003 and has increased the quality of the program immensely. There will continue to be changes in the future to prepare students for the practice change that is occurring. It's hard to compare programs directly though and I am sure that Alberta also has a great program.

I think in the not so distant future, those non pharm first year courses will become pre-requisites as the program moves towards an entry level PharmD just like other schools.

Also, our Dean has told us that the lecture curriculum really would not change much at all even when UBC moves to PharmD, it would just increase the experiential component of the program. There would also be a bridging program in place for current Bsc Pharm graduates to upgrade to a pharmD. Personally I believe that UBC has one of the best programs in the country (although I am a bit biased :p)

This is for the 160 hours we have to do in the summer of third and fourth year right? Is it paid or unpaid?

Actually, 369 is the practicum between second and third year. 469 is between third and fourth and all students will be assigned for 469. It's unpaid and you have to pay tuition.....

Also, our Dean has told us that the lecture curriculum really would not change much at all even when UBC moves to PharmD, it would just increase the experiential component of the program. There would also be a bridging program in place for current Bsc Pharm graduates to upgrade to a pharmD. Personally I believe that UBC has one of the best programs in the country (although I am a bit biased :p)

I agree. Though I have heard from a U of A grad that their curriculum is more rigorous and comprehensive in terms of material covered. I think they also do a longer practicum in hospital than UBC's 4 weeks. Alberta would be an interesting place to practice pharmacy just because of all the new regulations and expansion of practice. That said, I still like UBC better, haha.

Yeah I have seen that app but wasn't sure about the accuracy.

U of A just bumped up their tuition a year or two ago. It's $10 000 a year. Yikes! Seems like that justifies the higher cost of living in Vancouver if I go that route. Looks like thiings seem to balance out depending on how you look at it.

If you can, I would hold-off making a decision until after you've registered for your UBC courses. Once you've registered, you'll be able to see the cost of each class on ssc plus any fees that the faculty and UBC charges.

The Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences at UBC has passed a resolution to move toward an entry level Pharm D.

NOTHING has been approved by the provincial government, and there was opposition to the entry level Pharm D. According to the Dean, some of those who were in opposition have retired, so that's a good thing for us.

If and when the entry level Pharm D is implemented, upper years and graduates WILL have the chance to upgrade.

The faculty feels that our program is currently similar to an entry level Pharm D with respect to breadth of learning etc, but the Faculty hopes to implement the entry level Pharm D in "the near future".

The above is paraphrased from the minutes of the Dean's Lunch meeting.

My thoughts: keep your pants on. It's not as simple as The Faculty wanting to implement the ELPD. There's a lot more to it than that.

Thanks for the info:)

Also, for anyone still undecided on UBC, search "UBC Pharmacy Skits night" on youtube and you can see just how much fun we have at UBC pharmacy lol. One of the skits has been featured by both the bc pharmacists association and the canadian pharmacists association. To see that one, search "UBC Pharmacy Old Spice" on youtube.

I wouldn't say that UBC misses anything as far as curriculum goes, but I will say that after first year you really don't feel any more competent than before you enter the program. But after second and third year, which are very course intensive, you will feel like you have the necessary knowledge base to be a fully competent pharmacist, although it will still take time once you graduate to gain the confidence to practice to your full potential (but it would be like this at any school). UBC constantly re-evaluates the curriculum. This curriculum was introduced in 2003 and has increased the quality of the program immensely. There will continue to be changes in the future to prepare students for the practice change that is occurring. It's hard to compare programs directly though and I am sure that Alberta also has a great program.

I think in the not so distant future, those non pharm first year courses will become pre-requisites as the program moves towards an entry level PharmD just like other schools.

Thanks for the input guys. I am really leaning towards UBC at the moment. I am looking for a change and Edmonton is too close to home to really get that. Four years is a long time though, but the experience might be worth it.

Last edited:
Just thought I'd update my fellow Vancouverites (er, Richmondians?) regarding the official acceptance letters -- I received mine in the mail today and it was dated the 29th of June. I guess this is the one we need to photocopy as proof for the College.

Actually, 369 is the practicum between second and third year. 469 is between third and fourth and all students will be assigned for 469. It's unpaid and you have to pay tuition.....

If it is out of town, do they give us a place to stay or do we have to find our own place?

If it is out of town, do they give us a place to stay or do we have to find our own place?

As the program stands right now, students are responsible for their own housing. There has been talk of something coming down the pipeline to help students with this, but so far it's just been talk.

For the BIOC 300 requirement, can I take BIO303 or BIO302 (with BIO201) instead since it also lists those two biochemistry courses on their academic admission average? :rolleyes:

For the BIOC 300 requirement, can I take BIO303 or BIO302 (with BIO201) instead since it also lists those two biochemistry courses on their academic admission average? :rolleyes:

The way it works is:

They take BIOC 300

OR

They take BIOL 201 + BIOC 302 (Has to be both)

OR

They take BIOC 303. Although BIOL 201 is a pre-req for BIOC 303, they will only look at your BIOC 303 mark.

Good luck! :D

I took BIO201 last term and since the first year of pharm is considerably "chill" for me since I've got org chem, stats, microbio etc out of the way, I thought I would finish up the biochem300 requirement this first year....so I can do that by simply taking BIO302 or BIO303...right? :)

I took BIO201 last term and since the first year of pharm is considerably "chill" for me since I've got org chem, stats, microbio etc out of the way, I thought I would finish up the biochem300 requirement this first year....so I can do that by simply taking BIO302 or BIO303...right? :)

Yeah. But note that if you take BIOC 303, your BIOL 201 mark will not be used in the admissions calculation. If you take BIOC 302, BIOL 201 will be used.

So really, you have a choice on whether you want BIOL 201 to be included or not. BIOC 303 is definitely harder than BIOC 302 though.

Yeah. But note that if you take BIOC 303, your BIOL 201 mark will not be used in the admissions calculation. If you take BIOC 302, BIOL 201 will be used.

So really, you have a choice on whether you want BIOL 201 to be included or not. BIOC 303 is definitely harder than BIOC 302 though.

Okay:) I've been admitted into pharm already so I don't need to worry much about the admission average but I'm just wondering if I should take BIO303 or BIOC302...but you say BIO303 is harder? Darn...BIOC302 are all 8am classes:(

Okay:) I've been admitted into pharm already so I don't need to worry much about the admission average but I'm just wondering if I should take BIO303 or BIOC302...but you say BIO303 is harder? Darn...BIOC302 are all 8am classes:(

Oh, you've been admitted? I think... you might have to take BIOC 300. I know for sure they accept BIOL 201/BIOC 302 or BIOC 303 if you're not admitted into the program. I would definitely confirm with Margaret or someone on this matter.

Personally I would take BIOC 302 as I took BIOC 303 and it was brutal. It was a lot of work for a 90+ in that course. I believe a very small number got 85+. It's also 6 credits (full year) whereas 302 is half a year.

Ultimately, it's up to you.

Yah if you're already admitted and have Biol 201, then take Bioc 302. Taking 300 would be a waste of time and money.

I took BIOC 302 and by no means it was easy.I think if they are equal,the material they cover would be similar and the level of difficulty would be the same.In your case,since you took bio201 already you should take biochem 302 since you already have 3 credits of it.

Oh, you've been admitted? I think... you might have to take BIOC 300. I know for sure they accept BIOL 201/BIOC 302 or BIOC 303 if you're not admitted into the program. I would definitely confirm with Margaret or someone on this matter.

Personally I would take BIOC 302 as I took BIOC 303 and it was brutal. It was a lot of work for a 90+ in that course. I believe a very small number got 85+. It's also 6 credits (full year) whereas 302 is half a year.

Ultimately, it's up to you.

I took BIOC 302 and by no means it was easy.I think if they are equal,the material they cover would be similar and the level of difficulty would be the same.In your case,since you took bio201 already you should take biochem 302 since you already have 3 credits of it.

Haha. The main reason I believe it's an "easier" (by no means do I mean it's not a hard course) is because you only have to write two exams, whereas for BIOC 303 you have to write 4. But I guess that depends on the individual. Some prefer more exams.

If you did well in BIOL 201, I would definitely take BIOC 302, since your BIOL 201 mark will be used. If you did bad in BIOL 201, I don't think you'd be able to handle a full year in BIOC 303.

The course is filled with honours biochem/pharmacology students and the marks for the exams are generally below expectations for a class of such high caliber. The course has multiple choice questions that are worth four marks each with simple instructions like "circle all of the correct answers" in addition to long paragraph questions involving various case studies. Yes, you need to spell the name of the enzyme correctly to get the full mark. It can get quite ridiculous.

They're in general challenging courses, but I believe BIOC 303 is still much more difficult.