University of Colorado Skaggs SOP c/o 2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pharm413

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I haven't seen a thread yet this cycle so I wanted to start one! Is anyone else wanting to go here? I applied early decision and received my invite for an interview this morning! I submitted my pharmcas application on August 19, so it took a little less than a month. What are everyone else's stats and has anyone else received an invite for an interview?

Members don't see this ad.

I have also been invited for an interview on September 18th! See you there probably :) I'm so excited.

I am extremely excited, have been preparing for my interview for weeks, I hope I don't draw a blank when they ask me questions!

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you guys know anything about this school that isn't listed on the website? I am not from the midwest at all and no one I know knows anything about this school... Any interesting tidbits would be appreciated or things you learned in the interviews???

Do you guys know anything about this school that isn't listed on the website? I am not from the midwest at all and no one I know knows anything about this school... Any interesting tidbits would be appreciated or things you learned in the interviews???
Sure! I just had my interview. It's an absolutely amazing school, and I really hope that I get accepted :)

There are quite a few research opportunities available to PharmD students with all of the schools. That means that even though you're a pharmacy student, you could even be working in a lab with the medical school since they're all on one campus. You also work side by side with medical students, PA students, nurses, dentists, etc. starting second semester P1 year doing case studies. They're really into integrating everybody together since that's how healthcare is actually run, and, personally, I think that it's a fabulous set-up.

The student ID card you'll receive your P1 year allows you access to all of the pharmacy-related classrooms/buildings, and you can use it to get free rides on the Denver train and bus system (although that's somewhat practically nonexistent at the moment). They also offer merit based scholarships to students too. Parking on campus is $36/month. Not sure where you are specifically, but that's insanely cheap coming from where I live.

The campus is in Aurora, which isn't the nicest of neighborhoods. It's up and coming especially now with the Anschutz campus being there, but the big changes will take time. I didn't feel unsafe on campus when I was alone at all. Even driving in the surrounding neighborhood I didn't feel too unsafe. They gave us some information on apartments nearby, but I think that if I get accepted I'll live elsewhere. The places they listed were really expensive and luxurious. I'm a student, so luxury isn't a priority. Rent in Denver/Aurora has been going up astronomically lately, but you can still find 1 bedroom apartments for less than the prices that the school was showing.

The interview felt really laid back, as did the whole day. Everybody is really friendly and happy to answer your questions. The interview goes really quick too. I think it was only around 25-35 minutes. I felt like I wasn't able to talk about all of the things I would have liked to talk about, but my interviewer and I had a good conversation going so I wasn't going to disrupt that by quickly changing topics.

One of us in the interviewing group asked the current P1 and P3 students (leading our tour) what a typical day for them is. They start classes anywhere from 8:30-9. Most days they end by 2:30, but Tuesdays and some Wednesdays can go as late as 4:30. Their Fridays are only one class in the morning, ending before noon. The free time allows students to work part time. Majority of the students are able to work 8-12 hours/week in a pharmacy. One student told me that it's pretty easy to pick up more hours though during breaks and summer if you want since the pharmacies are desperate for help.

Overall I think it's a great program with great students and great faculty. Can you tell I really like it yet? Ha. Sorry for not being so organized with my thoughts. Figured I'd just get it all out there. If you have any questions, I can try to answer them. They give you so much information when you're at the interview that it starts to become hard to remember all of the finer details until later, so some of your questions could probably prompt me to remember more things that everybody told me.

Thank you for commenting I really appreciate it!
I'm only trying to figure things out because I am from Alabama and no one here can tell me anything about the school.. I had my heart set on another school that I got accepted to here in Alabama but my boyfriend is being relocated to colorado springs in the army. So i was playing with the idea of going to UC-denver but basically i know nothing about colorado except the one time I went skiing there like 7 years ago. I am trying to gather as much info as possible without spending all the money to get a plane ticket to actually visit there

Thank you for commenting I really appreciate it!
I'm only trying to figure things out because I am from Alabama and no one here can tell me anything about the school.. I had my heart set on another school that I got accepted to here in Alabama but my boyfriend is being relocated to colorado springs in the army. So i was playing with the idea of going to UC-denver but basically i know nothing about colorado except the one time I went skiing there like 7 years ago. I am trying to gather as much info as possible without spending all the money to get a plane ticket to actually visit there
No problem! Colorado is beautiful. It's getting a bit congested in the city nowadays since so many people keep moving to the state. Colorado Springs is about an hour to an hour and a half away from the campus. A few students said that some of their peers make the commute from Colorado Springs to Aurora each morning. I have no idea what the traffic would be like during rush hour on that route though. Rent would probably be a lot cheaper in Colorado Springs than it would in Denver/Aurora so that's something you could keep in mind. The city's just south of Denver.

Winter in Denver isn't too bad in my opinion, but I also come from a place that gets a ton of snow in the winter. Their winters are cold and dry with just a few feet of snow falling throughout the winter season. It apparently melts almost immediately after falling, so yay for not having to shovel! The higher altitudes in the mountains is where you'll end up getting 30 feet of snow dumped. The spring and summer are pretty hot, but it's a dry heat so it isn't too bad. Definitely manageable. When I was there for my interview it was in the lower 70s, sunny, and dry. Not bad at all :)

Med77 couldn't have said it any better! I love the school before and after my interview I feel even more in love.

I currently live in Colorado springs and the drive from here to there about an hour or so depending on traffic it isn't too bad.

I have many friends who are either still at the school or have graduated and they all have nothing but great things to say. The campus is up and coming too. I'm partial to Colorado but it is beautiful and so many things to do!

@Pharm413 - any idea when we'll hear back from the school? I know they said in a few weeks, but I'm a bit anxious to hear what they say! I applied ED so I have to find out by Oct. 23rd, but I do hope that I'll be notified of their decision sooner. Any idea what their historical timeline is?

I applied ed too. I am so anxious I check my email none stop.
What I've heard and seen is anywhere between 2 weeks and about a month is the norm if they are definitely accepting you and not putting you on normal decision. So hopefully within the next week or so I'm hoping.

@Pharm413 - I was just accepted this afternoon!! :soexcited::soexcited:

I am so excited to start. That was such a quick turnaround too! Maybe they saw our post and saw that we were getting antsy? Ha!

Good luck!! I hope you got an acceptance as well :D

Reactions: 1 user
I just received my acceptance a little ago too! I am so excited I was not expecting it so soon!
Congratulations looks like we will be seeing a lot of each other over the next 5 years!

Reactions: 1 users
Im flying in from Las Vegas with an interview on 10/16. Any tips for the interview? Any recommendation on hotels? I'm so excited!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
How are the interviews? I have mine on the 30th and it is my first one! How's the essay like?

Last edited:
Hey guys, I just got an interview invite and scheduled it for Nov 6. I'm excited to come check it out! It seems like the interview is pretty laid back. Was the essay portion a full on essay or just a response to a question? Also, how's the group activity? Thanks

Hey guys, I just got an interview invite and scheduled it for Nov 6. I'm excited to come check it out! It seems like the interview is pretty laid back. Was the essay portion a full on essay or just a response to a question? Also, how's the group activity? Thanks
The essay for me was just about as long as you want to make it. There are some short answers you have to do after reading an article, and then the essay question. I think I only wrote about 4 paragraphs. There are character limits, and I was starting to reach mine after the 4 paragraphs.

The group activity was really laid back too. You'll have a student and professor watching as you guys work together to solve a problem. They just want to see how you interact with one another, take leadership, make sure everybody's voices are heard, etc. It was low stress. I think it was schedule to be a half hour but we finished ours within 15 minutes or so, if that.

@med77 - thanks for the feedback. I look forward to the interview!

Has anyone received an admissions decision for regular decision?

Depending on when you had your interview it usually takes about a month maybe a little less with regular decision and it also depends on how many people were there during your interview day.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

For those of you who had your interview today, how it was an amazing experience!

Interviewed on 10/16. Accepted today! I'm so excited for the upcoming year...

Yay!! Congrats!! See you in August!

I got an acceptance email today too ! I interviewed on Oct 30th!

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

I got an acceptance email today too ! I interviewed on Oct 30th!

Congratulations!!

Just had my interview yesterday! I'm so excited about the school and really hope I get in. Such a positive experience!

Reactions: 3 users
Just had my interview yesterday! I'm so excited about the school and really hope I get in. Such a positive experience!
It really is a great place I've had the pleasure of speaking to recent graduates who came to work at target pharmacy over the past few months and they said it was a great place!

Congrats everyone! I guess I may be seeing you all next year :D

Has anyone else heard back from the 10/30 interview? I'm getting a little anxious :nailbiting:.

My coworker interviewed on 10/30 and got her acceptance email last friday(11/06). I interviewed on 11/06

My coworker interviewed on 10/30 and got her acceptance email last friday(11/06). I interviewed on 11/06

:( maybe I didn't get in.

Do you think they will send out denials or anything?

I heard they don't release all the acceptances out at once! Don't give up yet! I'm sure you'll get in!

Hi everyone! I just received an invitation to interview and was wondering how their interview experience was like? Or what kind of questions they asked? This is the first school I received an interview for and believe it or not, I never really sat in a serious/real one-on-one interview before, so I'm kind of really nervous and scared. I know some people asked about the interview earlier in this thread, but it seemed like they weren't really answered other than the essay and group activity. I'd really appreciate your help, thanks! :)

:( maybe I didn't get in.

Do you think they will send out denials or anything?

I waited about 3 weeks to receive my acceptance. Don't worry you'll receive yours soon! Good Luck!

Hi everyone! I just received an invitation to interview and was wondering how their interview experience was like? Or what kind of questions they asked? This is the first school I received an interview for and believe it or not, I never really sat in a serious/real one-on-one interview before, so I'm kind of really nervous and scared. I know some people asked about the interview earlier in this thread, but it seemed like they weren't really answered other than the essay and group activity. I'd really appreciate your help, thanks! :)

For me, my experience was extremely positive. I felt like everything they provided for us was well structured and thought out so that they could get a full view of the many aspects that a candidate has to offer. Everyone was very nice and made the whole process feel comfortable. As far as the one on one interview goes, it is closed file, so they don't know anything about you other than your name. From this aspect, much of the one-on-one is honestly getting to know you, why you want to be a pharmacist, what you have to offer, and so on. This gives you a chance to show them who you really are. I know you are going to hear this 1,000 times over your future interviews, but really just be yourself. Thats how you can shine and give them the best impression that you can give. Anyways, the school is amazing and seems like an outstanding place to build a solid foundation for your practice as a pharmacist. They seem to prepare students very well for whatever kind of pharmacist you want to be and is well respected across the nation. I hope your interview goes well!

For me, my experience was extremely positive. I felt like everything they provided for us was well structured and thought out so that they could get a full view of the many aspects that a candidate has to offer. Everyone was very nice and made the whole process feel comfortable. As far as the one on one interview goes, it is closed file, so they don't know anything about you other than your name. From this aspect, much of the one-on-one is honestly getting to know you, why you want to be a pharmacist, what you have to offer, and so on. This gives you a chance to show them who you really are. I know you are going to hear this 1,000 times over your future interviews, but really just be yourself. Thats how you can shine and give them the best impression that you can give. Anyways, the school is amazing and seems like an outstanding place to build a solid foundation for your practice as a pharmacist. They seem to prepare students very well for whatever kind of pharmacist you want to be and is well respected across the nation. I hope your interview goes well!

Thanks for the information! I had no idea that the interview was closed file so that's good to know.. I won't have to feel as if I'm regurgitating too much of anything that I've already mentioned in my application! But anyways, I'm glad you enjoyed your interview. It seems like people enjoyed their experience for the most part, and I hope that I will too.

None of the 3 interview dates that they offered me work with my schedule, so I hope I'll be able to pick a later date since it seems like they still have a large amount of interviews for the next few months.. :/

Thanks for the information! I had no idea that the interview was closed file so that's good to know.. I won't have to feel as if I'm regurgitating too much of anything that I've already mentioned in my application! But anyways, I'm glad you enjoyed your interview. It seems like people enjoyed their experience for the most part, and I hope that I will too.

None of the 3 interview dates that they offered me work with my schedule, so I hope I'll be able to pick a later date since it seems like they still have a large amount of interviews for the next few months.. :/
To tack onto what was said before, while the interview is really casual and about getting to know you, they do have a list of set questions that they ask. They're all the stereotypical questions you get in interviews though (i.e. tell me about a time you had to work as a team/tell me about a struggle/what is your greatest strength/etc.). There were a few that were more pharmacy related, but they were kind of open ended opinion-type questions. I think that the only wrong answer would be to say something awful and clearly unethical or bigoted.

I interviewed last Friday (11/6) and I'm already tired of the waiting game! :whistle:

I really wanted to go to this school before but I feel like the interview day just took it to a whole new level! What an awesome experience.

Reactions: 3 users
I interviewed last Friday (11/6) and I'm already tired of the waiting game! :whistle:

I really wanted to go to this school before but I feel like the interview day just took it to a whole new level! What an awesome experience.
I feel ya. I was checking my email practically every minute from the moment I left the interview to the two weeks later when I got my acceptance. Every time my phone buzzed I would jump, excitedly hoping it was from CU, and then immediately be met with disappointment when I saw it was just some spam email from my university's bookstore. It'll happen! I'm excited to meet you all next August :D

I feel ya. I was checking my email practically every minute from the moment I left the interview to the two weeks later when I got my acceptance. Every time my phone buzzed I would jump, excitedly hoping it was from CU, and then immediately be met with disappointment when I saw it was just some spam email from my university's bookstore. It'll happen! I'm excited to meet you all next August :D
How long did it take them to respond after you email them the forms of acceptance and other documents?

Just received my acceptance email!! I'm so excited! I was interviewed on 11/6 and was pleasantly surprised to be accepted so fast! Good luck to you all, hope to meet you soon.

Just received my acceptance email!! I'm so excited! I was interviewed on 11/6 and was pleasantly surprised to be accepted so fast! Good luck to you all, hope to meet you soon.
Congrats, can't wait to meet you in August!!

How long did it take them to respond after you email them the forms of acceptance and other documents?

So I got an email from them about 2-2.5 weeks after my interview saying I was accepted with a bunch of forms attached. I immediately filled out those documents and sent them on their way. I heard nothing back from them for a week, and it made me nervous that maybe they didn't get my forms. I gave them a call and they said that they did in fact have everything. A total of 3 weeks after that initial acceptance email, I got another email verifying that everything was received and letting me know that I'll be issued a student ID and email address shortly. Another 2ish weeks later I got my email address and student ID. I've since then set everything up with their online systems, but I haven't been assigned to an advisor or anything yet. There are some forms uploaded to E*Value that talk about financial aid, housing, parking on campus, and some information on budgeting for things that I don't need (childcare). I'm a bit over-excited for next year to be honest so I ran a degree audit trying to see which courses we'll probably be taking in the fall. Looks like I haven't been set up with that quite yet either. Gotta be patient!

(PS they do have sample schedules on the CU Pharma website so if you want to get a glimpse at our future, you can look there)

So I got an email from them about 2-2.5 weeks after my interview saying I was accepted with a bunch of forms attached. I immediately filled out those documents and sent them on their way. I heard nothing back from them for a week, and it made me nervous that maybe they didn't get my forms. I gave them a call and they said that they did in fact have everything. A total of 3 weeks after that initial acceptance email, I got another email verifying that everything was received and letting me know that I'll be issued a student ID and email address shortly. Another 2ish weeks later I got my email address and student ID. I've since then set everything up with their online systems, but I haven't been assigned to an advisor or anything yet. There are some forms uploaded to E*Value that talk about financial aid, housing, parking on campus, and some information on budgeting for things that I don't need (childcare). I'm a bit over-excited for next year to be honest so I ran a degree audit trying to see which courses we'll probably be taking in the fall. Looks like I haven't been set up with that quite yet either. Gotta be patient!

(PS they do have sample schedules on the CU Pharma website so if you want to get a glimpse at our future, you can look there)
Yeah I'm excited too for it! I turned in my papers a day ago and did not get a confirmation email yet, I'll call them on Monday if that still continues haha. I'm also very nervous if they did not receive my documents. I emailed them my forms. I am also very excited for everything! See you in August!

Last edited:
@med77 and @Pharm413 Do either of you remember if CO requires intern hours in addition to the time we spend doing IPPEs and APPEs? Also, is there some sort of option where we can communicate with current students--I still have some questions and those answers will be helpful in determining where I accept.

Thank you!!

@med77 and @Pharm413 Do either of you remember if CO requires intern hours in addition to the time we spend doing IPPEs and APPEs? Also, is there some sort of option where we can communicate with current students--I still have some questions and those answers will be helpful in determining where I accept.

Thank you!!
I do believe that they are required, but I'm not 100% sure. We get our intern licenses that first semester of school when we start school and can start working once we have it. Most students seem to work as interns at some point while in school, so I guess I just assumed that it was because it was required.

If you have questions about the intern license and requirements, contact the admissions department and see what they say. I'd be interested in hearing what they say too.

As for contacting current students, you could ask admissions if they could set you up with students there right now I guess. Other option would be to just search the school on Facebook to see who has it listed as their current university and just cold message them. Could do the same with LinkedIn probably.

EDIT: http://www.ucdenver.edu/academics/c...rces/Documents/Student_Bulletin_OSS_15-16.pdf

(warning - that's a PDF). It states under the "intern" section that we need 1500 hours.

EDIT again: Spoke too soon. Those 1500 hours are total of outside hours and those obtained while in school with the university. We're expected to get 1680 hours our 4th year which should easily cover the intern hours.

Last edited:
Hey y'all! I wanted to know how soon after you submitted your application did you get an invitation to interview? I decided at the last minute to apply this year, so I wasn't able to get my stuff in as quickly as I had wanted to. I just got my official score from Pearson, and my PCAT score should be attached to my PharmCAS app any day now.... Did I apply too late? How soon should I expect to hear back?

Hey y'all! I wanted to know how soon after you submitted your application did you get an invitation to interview? I decided at the last minute to apply this year, so I wasn't able to get my stuff in as quickly as I had wanted to. I just got my official score from Pearson, and my PCAT score should be attached to my PharmCAS app any day now.... Did I apply too late? How soon should I expect to hear back?
I sent my app 8/16 and got an invitation to interview on 9/8. My pharmcas app was complete before I sent it though I had taken the pcat a month before. But I've heard sometimes it can take them a month or so especially closer to the holidays. They have rolling admissions though so they will accept until April.

Hopefully I hear back soon! It was a miracle how fast my application was verified and how quickly my PCAT was officially scored.... both of them were done in 2 weeks and I was shocked! I was certain they weren't going to be done in time for the 12/1 deadline.