University of Denver PsyD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coloradocutter

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am beginning to think that I am just not meant to go to a PsyD program. I was rejected by all of the funded PsyD programs that I applied for and have still not heard from DU's PsyD program after calling and emailing just to confirm that they even received my application - but they keep saying, we will email you at the email address we gave you and never do. I can't find it in my bulk folder.

The puzzling thing is that I have had 3 interviews with fully funded PhD programs - but nothing with PsyDs and DU's program is not even funded? I am just confused. :confused: I am nontraditional student, solid GREs and 4.0 in psch, 3.8 undergrad, and 3.5 law school. All at top 20 schools.

The only thing that I did not have with DU was all of the required courses that they asked for. I was missing developmental psych but am taking this spring. That's it.

Members don't see this ad.

Yep - I do have about 6 months of research experience with a well-known researcher in health psych. Again, I have interviews with PhD programs. I also got into 2 clinical PhD programs in 2005 but couldn't go due to issues with my husband's job and relocation. I wish I could talk to someone about things to fix in my application for next year, but I will probably go to a funded PhD program if I get in...

Members don't see this ad :)
I would not be at all surprised if the funded PsyD programs are more challenging to get into than the average funded PhD program. There are so few of the former.

Agreed.

There are some great balanced Ph.Ds worth checking out, it is worth asking around here for suggestions; there 'might' have been a thread about them awhile ago. When I was going through the process I missed out on some good ones because I didn't realize they were out there.

Yep - I do have about 6 months of research experience with a well-known researcher in health psych. Again, I have interviews with PhD programs. I also got into 2 clinical PhD programs in 2005 but couldn't go due to issues with my husband's job and relocation. I wish I could talk to someone about things to fix in my application for next year, but I will probably go to a funded PhD program if I get in...

DU highly values clinical experience.
They don't really do much if anything in the way of research.

Did you wear a really heinous suit to the interview? ;)

Hello all,

After taking a year off after undergraduate school to really analyze the differences between the PhD. and PsyD., I came to the conclusion that the PsyD. was a much better fit for me. However, after hours upon hours of research, I realize that---in my personal opinion---the majority of PsyD. programs are suspect at best. I do not mean to unjustly criticize professional, free-standing schools, as I admittedly do not know much about their programs other than admission standards, match rates, etc...

Anyways, I was recently accepted to the University of Denver's program. On the surface, it seems to be a legitimate program because it is University based. I am excited for the opportunity as the faculty, program, and location look amazing. To get to the point, I would appreciate to hear EVERYONE's opinion on the program. Every PhD and PsyD's opinions are welcome. If I could just ask everyone to let me know what school they are in/will they be in first, that would be great. All thoughts are welcome, thanks guys!

I have applied to the social/affect program and was accepted. It was my second choice and it looks like I will attend there. I am very excited about this opportunity to get training from my POI who I very much respect. When I was decided whether or not to apply, I met with a handful of professors to ask them their opinion of DUs program. Across the board the professors I met with spoke highly of DU and the research they produce. Sally Rogers (major hitter in autism science) is a huge fan of the program, shares a lab at the MIND institute with one of DUs most famous alumni (Sally Ozonoff), and collaborates with at least 2 faculty there (Danny McIntosh and Bruce Pennington).

Despite it being a fully funded, produces strong research, an amazing faculty--I was thrown by how small the campus is. It is literally on 4 small blocks in the middle of suburban Denver. The campus is beautiful and clean--yet small. (**I suppose you do not need me to tell you that since you interviewd there :)).

Who is your POI?

Good Luck.

I should clarify that I was accepted into the PsyD. program.

I was also accepted for the Psy.D. at DU this fall, but turned it down for another (psyd) program. I've heard nothing bad about the program, but the cost is outlandish, and I didn't receive a dime of aid!

*MOD NOTE: I combined your thread into an existing thread from a couple weeks ago. Please do a search before starting a new thread, as it is better to keep some more comprehensive threads than many threads with few replies. -t *

Another thread on the topic:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=271866

Does anyone know how to stop the hemorrhaging money for Denver University's PsyD program? I've been looking for tuition assistance in any form and cannot seem to find anything on their website. Just wondering if someone could help me out.