University of Detroit Mercy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MAdental

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I just have a couple of questions about UDM ! I will also post in the dental forums to ask some dental students, but I was interested to know what predents (who have interviewed here) have to say. I have looked at their website but couldn't find the info ! Do they have any outreach programs ? Do they send their students to like other cities or states to do procedures? Any international/exchange programs ? How easy is it to do research at this school? Did they even talk about research during the interview day ? The word is that they have a strong clinical program ! How is it strong ? Is it just because they have a bigger patient pool/ diversity of cases ? What did you think of the city in terms of safety? ( I care less about how it looks , obviously its not NYC). It would be great if you could share abit of your experience with me !
Thank you
Edit: you could PM me if you wish.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi folks,

I just have a couple of questions about UDM ! I will also post in the dental forums to ask some dental students, but I was interested to know what predents (who have interviewed here) have to say. I have looked at their website but couldn't find the info ! Do they have any outreach programs ? Do they send their students to like other cities or states to do procedures? Any international/exchange programs ? How easy is it to do research at this school? Did they even talk about research during the interview day ? The word is that they have a strong clinical program ! How is it strong ? Is it just because they have a bigger patient pool/ diversity of cases ? What did you think of the city in terms of safety? ( I care less about how it looks , obviously its not NYC). It would be great if you could share abit of your experience with me !
Thank you
Edit: you could PM me if you wish.

I will share some things I was told at the interview:

Several trips to countries such as Nicaragua are planned during the summer break where students do outreach service. I believe other programs exist to serve the Detroit area as well. They did talk about research a bit and research opportunities are available, but they didn't go in depth about it. Im actually curious about it myself.

The reason why their clinical program is so strong is because Detroit "undisputedly has THE most underserved population". There will never be a shortage of patients, not to mention the severity of cases from an underserved population. In fact, they run on a strict policy where you get kicked out as a patient if you miss two appointments. Even my cab driver said she goes to UDM for treatments.

As for safety, the entire dental campus is fenced and gated so there wont be problem there. However, I think there are definitely areas of the city you will want to avoid. I was told that no student uses the public transportation due to 1. Concern for safety and 2. Unreliability. Everyone uses a car to get around so that must also be taken into consideration.

Thank you for the reply, the international outreach programs sound interesting ! So this basically means ( I think) that they have so many patients, that they don't have to send their students to different areas to get more experience. Not every school is like this i think.
Thanks again Jungerr. :)