university of edinburgh

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
M

Mike

does anyone know anything about the chances for an American student to study medicine at the University of Edinburgh. I studied abroad there and loved it. I know that within Britain the med school has a great reputation but what about in the states. Also if they do accept American students what kind of stats would be needed to get in. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I do not have the specific information you are looking for, BUT...

Application to UK medical schools go through a central application service (UCCA?)and applicants are limited to a choice of only 5.

Visit or get in touch with a British Consulate, usually the Cultural Affairs section, and ask for information on attending a medical school in the UK. Ask also where to obtain the UCCA (if my memory isn't too faulty) application. I don't believe it likely that you will get accepted, but what do I know?

Have plans B, C, D, E....ready.

Hiya,

As someone who is living/born in London, perhaps i can put a few things straight.

The Central Application service is called UCAS (UNIVERSITIES & COLLEGES ADMISSIONS SERVICE FOR THE UK)
You are limited to a choice of only 4 medschools too.

I'm not sure about the acceptance rate as i'm applying this year, but get in touch with UCAS at www.ucas.ac.uk/.

Hope that helps a bit!! ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Mike
Im studying medicine at edinburgh and i can honestly say that most of the students who study here love it.I think the best thing for you to do would be to talk to someone at the faculty of medicine office at the university- they should be able to give you all the information that you need.The school only admit about 14 foreign students per year but im sure that if you have the right grades and attitude they'd be happy to here from you...good luck! :)

Alison, are you British or are you a foreign student there. If you are from the states what were your circumstances before you went to Edinburgh. I will try to get in touch with the faculty of medicine, but I'm guessing that it would be just as hard to get into Edinburgh if not harder than any American med school. Thanks