University of St. Andrews/University of Edinburgh Programs for N. Americans

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rockyrado

Coffee Addict
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've read in a few different places (this being one: http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/story/2011/02/22/canadian-students-medicine-overseas.html) recently about a program at the University of St. Andrews or the University of Edinburgh that targets N. Americans for acceptance into their medical school. After searching hours on both the St. Andrews and Edinburgh sites, I haven't been able to find a single mention of this program. Can anyone point me in the right direction or does anyone have more info?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I go to Edinburgh and there are perhaps 1 or 2 students with North American Passports but with UK connections in our third year group of 270 students. No official special assistance is available for the US or Canadian match although the college office is generally supportive in helping students out. You have to be proactive in planning ahead yourself as can be expected.

I go to Edinburgh and there are perhaps 1 or 2 students with North American Passports but with UK connections in our third year group of 270 students. No official special assistance is available for the US or Canadian match although the college office is generally supportive in helping students out. You have to be proactive in planning ahead yourself as can be expected.

That's what I figured. Was just surprised to read about it, and wanted to see if it was legitimate. Thanks for the info!

Members don't see this ad :)
That's what I figured. Was just surprised to read about it, and wanted to see if it was legitimate. Thanks for the info!

http://medicine.st-andrews.ac.uk/pro/alberta/

Here is the link to the program you were looking for. This program started last year so students in Edinburgh haven't yet seen any Canadian students. I was accepted to this program this year. If you want to know more please don't hesitate to message me.

http://medicine.st-andrews.ac.uk/pro/alberta/

Here is the link to the program you were looking for. This program started last year so students in Edinburgh haven't yet seen any Canadian students. I was accepted to this program this year. If you want to know more please don't hesitate to message me.

Unless its a carribean medical school, I would be careful about programs like these where you do your basic sciences in one country, and rotations somewhere else. I think carribeans schools have special approval from medical state boards which will allow things like this, but any other abroad school, i think it is expected you do both the basic sciences and clinical sciences in that home country. thats at least how I THINK its in the US. not totally sure though

Unless its a carribean medical school, I would be careful about programs like these where you do your basic sciences in one country, and rotations somewhere else. I think carribeans schools have special approval from medical state boards which will allow things like this, but any other abroad school, i think it is expected you do both the basic sciences and clinical sciences in that home country. thats at least how I THINK its in the US. not totally sure though

St. Andrews and Edinburgh are both top notch universities and they are both in the UK. St. Andrews is ranked 3rd or 6th in the UK depending on which publication you read. Edinburgh's Medical School is ranked 2nd in the UK and Edinburgh as a university is ranked 20th in the world. Penn's (University of Pennsylvania) medical school's curriculum is based off of Edinburgh's. Normally the acceptance rate for Edinburgh's Medical school is 1 in 12 for UK/EU students and 1 in 38 for Internationals. Honestly, I think this program is a steal you are really skipping the queue since you do get the MB ChB from Edinburgh.

In this program, you do both your basic and clinical sciences in the same country, the UK. The universities are different but the drive from St. Andrews to Edinburgh is only 2 hours. You do a 4 month rotation in Canada (Alberta) to build Canadian experience which is supposed to help when applying through CaRMS. This program is only for Canadian citizens however. Its designed to allow you to apply competitively back to Canada for residency.

St. Andrews and Edinburgh are both top notch universities and they are both in the UK. St. Andrews is ranked 3rd or 6th in the UK depending on which publication you read. Edinburgh's Medical School is ranked 2nd in the UK and Edinburgh as a university is ranked 20th in the world. Penn's (University of Pennsylvania) medical school's curriculum is based off of Edinburgh's. Normally the acceptance rate for Edinburgh's Medical school is 1 in 12 for UK/EU students and 1 in 38 for Internationals. Honestly, I think this program is a steal you are really skipping the queue since you do get the MB ChB from Edinburgh.

In this program, you do both your basic and clinical sciences in the same country, the UK. The universities are different but the drive from St. Andrews to Edinburgh is only 2 hours. You do a 4 month rotation in Canada (Alberta) to build Canadian experience which is supposed to help when applying through CaRMS. This program is only for Canadian citizens however. Its designed to allow you to apply competitively back to Canada for residency.

Yes but it would be in the best interest to also apply to USA residencies if the goal is to come back to North America, and if Canada does not work out. The best way to make sure if the school degree, as EXACTLY printed on the diploma, is recognized is to go to the California Medical Board webpage (notice I put EXACTLY in capital letters because it has to be exact.. literally) and look if the school is recognized. Also, does graduating from this program, make you eligible to practice in the UK as well because sometimes program like these are not recognized by the medical board of the home country?

I am wary of programs like these where even a day of the curriculum involves studying outside the country of residence of the medical school, unless its a Caribbean school.

Yes but it would be in the best interest to also apply to USA residencies if the goal is to come back to North America, and if Canada does not work out. The best way to make sure if the school degree, as EXACTLY printed on the diploma, is recognized is to go to the California Medical Board webpage (notice I put EXACTLY in capital letters because it has to be exact.. literally) and look if the school is recognized. Also, does graduating from this program, make you eligible to practice in the UK as well because sometimes program like these are not recognized by the medical board of the home country?

I am wary of programs like these where even a day of the curriculum involves studying outside the country of residence of the medical school, unless its a Caribbean school.

The program will not register you with the UK General Medical Council. However, they will assist you with applying for the MCCEE and MCCQE pt 1. Again this program is for Canadians not for Californians and generally should only be taken if your first choice is to come back to Canada not the U.S. Compared to the Caribbean medical schools, this program has the advantage of a much better reputation, hopefully better teaching (I haven't actually been to a class). The cost is around the same. I did check California's Medical Board and it explicitly lists St. Andrews and Edinburgh on the page. Considering California recognizes medical schools from Afghanistan and 100 medical school from India, I'm pretty sure it accepts most medical schools.

I wouldn't necessarily be wary, but I would definitely find out all the facts before entering any program overseas including the Caribbean. I'm not exactly sure why you trust the Carrbbean schools so much. Many Caribbean schools are unhelpful for finding placements and are for profit. I would take an Irish/UK school over the Caribbean any day. I see advertisements for Caribbean schools everywhere: on the subways, online on the streets and personally, I am wary of any school that needs to advertise itself to attract students.

Edit: Turns out i was wrong. It is recognized by the UK GMC and as a result should be recognized by the MBC, but I am not 100% sure it is still being worked out at the moment. We also are able to practice in the UK, but again the program strongly encourages that we don't stay in the UK.

Last edited:
The program will not register you with the UK General Medical Council. However, they will assist you with applying for the MCCEE and MCCQE pt 1. Again this program is for Canadians not for Californians and generally should only be taken if your first choice is to come back to Canada not the U.S. Compared to the Caribbean medical schools, this program has the advantage of a much better reputation, hopefully better teaching (I haven't actually been to a class). The cost is around the same. I did check California's Medical Board and it explicitly lists St. Andrews and Edinburgh on the page. Considering California recognizes medical schools from Afghanistan and 100 medical school from India, I'm pretty sure it accepts most medical schools.

chances are no it will not be recognized in the states. if its not recognized in the home country, then its not recognized in the states generally. even the carribean schools are recongized in their home countries. the degree prob will not only just have st. andrews or edinburgh on the diploma and thats why Im saying its really important to know what will exactly be on the diploma.

also being canadian, you have to consider the us also since getting a residency in canada is harder than getting a residency in the us as a canadian especially if you go to an img school. the fact that its not recognized in the UK, sends red flags

I wouldn't necessarily be wary, but I would definitely find out all the facts before entering any program overseas including the Caribbean. I'm not exactly sure why you trust the Carrbbean schools so much. Many Caribbean schools are unhelpful for finding placements and are for profit. I would take an Irish/UK school over the Caribbean any day. I see advertisements for Caribbean schools everywhere: on the subways, online on the streets and personally, I am wary of any school that needs to advertise itself to attract students.

yes it accepts schools from india and afghanistan, but those schools are recognized in their home countries. thats really important for the california medical board.

yes it accepts schools from india and afghanistan, but those schools are recognized in their home countries. thats really important for the california medical board.

TBH, the schools are recognized if you go to their A100 programs, but since this is the A990 program it is not. We will see.

TBH, the schools are recognized if you go to their A100 programs, but since this is the A990 program it is not. We will see.

than going to the Big 4 in the carribean is a better option than this.

Are you attending a caribbean university?

no I am in the process of applying to medical schools in Ireland and Australia. Im waiting on hearing back from Ireland.