University of Florida (OOS) vs Ohio State (IS)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DentalUte

Reaction score
University of Florida
Out of state
Pros
  • Relatively affordable - can apply for residency after a year
  • Great weather
  • Smaller class size
Cons
  • The interview was over zoom - haven't seen the facilities
  • Not sure what Gainesville is like
The Ohio State University
In state
Pros
  • Familiar with the area and Columbus is a great city
  • Recently remodeled school and facilities
  • Also on the cheaper side
Cons
  • Weather
  • A lot of currents students mentioned there is a shortage of faculty
Both schools are around the same price once you factor in a residency change. I'm really on the fence and not leaning towards either. Thanks for any help!

Members don't see this ad.

OSU is a great school. I would go to OSU due to lower cost, great education, and you are familiar with the area which makes it easy

University of Florida
Out of state
Pros
  • Relatively affordable - can apply for residency after a year
  • Great weather
  • Smaller class size
Cons
  • The interview was over zoom - haven't seen the facilities
  • Not sure what Gainesville is like
The Ohio State University
In state
Pros
  • Familiar with the area and Columbus is a great city
  • Recently remodeled school and facilities
  • Also on the cheaper side
Cons
  • Weather
  • A lot of currents students mentioned there is a shortage of faculty
Both schools are around the same price once you factor in a residency change. I'm really on the fence and not leaning towards either. Thanks for any help!
U of Florida has higher admissions standards than Ohio State U. U Florida has better DAT and GPA averages. They also accept a lot less students (Acceptance Rate), which is generally a good sign.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think you can do a proper comparison without actually visiting the school (UF). Where do you ultimately want to practice? Florida population is increasing while Ohio is decreasing, but more competition...

Reactions: 1 users
A good sign for what?
Better schools are able to be more selective in their application process. Worse schools accept inferior candidates and more candidates b/c they know most of them won't accept their offer.

Although there is no publicly available data on this, I would bet that schools with higher DAT/GPA averages send more students to specialty programs.

• Dislike
Reactions: 1 user
Strong first post. Welcome to SDN!

Big Hoss
Thank you. I think data about Dental School Admissions, Tuition, Loans, Specialty matching needs to be more transparent and easily accessible for the pre-dental school student. The A.D.A. does a pretty bad job at it.

Thank you.
75B77E49-1B14-4618-AF0B-21193A5DCFA5.gif

Big Hoss