University of Hawaii, Hilo Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi maxim - I hope they give you a chance! I take the PCAT in January and I am terrified that I am going to blow it. Maybe since you have a Bach degree they will overlook a lesser score...

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone going to the Dec. 10th interview? :D

I heard UHH gives out a very unique essay question, and that you don't get options... just one prompt.

Interview q's:
what is your biggest mistake?
what relative of yours do you despise the most?
If you were an instrument, what would you be?

essays q's:

1) what was the most ridiculous situation you've been in and why?
2) If you were an animal (or plant) what would you be and why?

Members don't see this ad :)
Interview q's:
what is your biggest mistake?
what relative of yours do you despise the most?
If you were an instrument, what would you be?

essays q's:

1) what was the most ridiculous situation you've been in and why?
2) If you were an animal (or plant) what would you be and why?
Thanks for the heads up! Was it pretty laid back? I have my interview tomorrow so I'm pretty excited.

Definitely very laid back! They were really nice so the nervousness pretty much just went away. It was way better than being interrogated by a committee at UOP. But they did ask a few hypothetical scenario questions that got me, like “if 89/90 spots were filled, why should you be the 90th?
A few other questions like:
If you could invent any drug what would it be and why?
What will be the variables that will become most important when you are deciding between your top two pharmacy schools?
If you could be a plant (yes, I know a plant -.-) what would it be and why?
If you could pick a time period to live in what would it be and why?

Did anyone have their interview on the 9th that felt like they bombed it? BE CAREFUL ABOUT THE HYPOTHETICAL Q'S GUYS!

I interviewed yesterday and felt the interview went very well. It doesn't look like, based on this thread, that anyone has heard back from earlier interviews? But the interviewer did say we would hear back in a couple weeks, right?

I interviewed yesterday and felt the interview went very well. It doesn't look like, based on this thread, that anyone has heard back from earlier interviews? But the interviewer did say we would hear back in a couple weeks, right?

I interviewed yesterday as well. I ended up having Dr. Fisher as my interviewer. He was very nice, but I think as the associate dean, he def established a more formal environment than I was used to for these interviews. Eventually he warmed up tho, and even laughed a little at my joke. (Whew). I actually forgot to ask when we would hear back. All I know is it's via email. So, hopefully soon?...

Did anyone have their interview on the 9th that felt like they bombed it? BE CAREFUL ABOUT THE HYPOTHETICAL Q'S GUYS!

I interviewed on the 10th, and kind of felt like I was being grilled the whole time. Who interviewed you? I like to think that I gave somewhat well-thought out answers, but I do have a tendency to ramble on at times... so who knows.

I was asked one hypothetical question. The one about the 89 students, 1 spot left. But that's something everyone should be prepared for, so I wasn't caught off guard w that one. I thought the question about "Which fictional character would you want to have dinner with" was a random one. I think my response was kinda weird. He laughed, but thinking back, I'm not sure if that was a classic case of laughing at. Not with. Haha.

Thanks for the info! I looked at the school interview feedback as well. I am currently in LV and my interview is tomorrow at 9am! Super nervous.

I just had my interview @ LV. Dr. Fisher was my interviewer and just like someone said on here, he did keep it more formal than I was expecting! Although he was nice, it really felt like he was grilling me on a couple of questions... That question, "What problem do you think pharmacists are facing today?" I felt I was prepared to answer it but after the look on his face and him asking me to elaborate - I guess not? :( Good luck to everyone in their efforts. Before and after my interview, it definitely felt like the people going in for the interview were intimidating me. Hah! :(

Wow, that's surprising.. I've always read that the interview portion is so laid back. That's how it was for me. I was the last interviewee with Dr. Wright. But now I can remember him telling me and also another student before me that they will notify us within a couple weeks. Good luck everyone!

I started aruging with my interviewer about healthcare that we went over time lol...

Members don't see this ad :)
I started aruging with my interviewer about healthcare that we went over time lol...

Who interviewed you?

Wow, that's surprising.. I've always read that the interview portion is so laid back. That's how it was for me. I was the last interviewee with Dr. Wright. But now I can remember him telling me and also another student before me that they will notify us within a couple weeks. Good luck everyone!

Dr. Wright is the best. :thumbup:

I had Dr. Wright, and he is an interesting guy.

I turned in my application the last week on november and i havent heard anything back yet. i wonder if they are holding the interview invites till after the holidays? :confused:

I turned in my application the last week on november and i havent heard anything back yet. i wonder if they are holding the interview invites till after the holidays? :confused:

during the interview, they said that their offices will be closing for the holidays form Dec 17 to Jan 3. Don't you just love waiting?

Should enjoy your holiday =]
Think about school interview after the holiday.
You can send an email to Kristy today to check if they recieved your application or not. (if you are worried)

Woot just got email 10 mins ago. Accepted!! and my first choice too =]

Same here!!! I just got an email! I'm so pumped!!

Interviewed 12/02 just got my letter of acceptance at 350 PST!!!!

I just got in!! Interviewed on 12/8 :)) Congrats to everyone else! So excited to meet everyone and start next August!

Also got in! Interviewed on 12/11. To current students not from Hawaii, what were the biggest adjustments you faced in moving to Hawaii?

Just got my email today, interviewed with Dr. Fischer on 12/11 !!! I can't wait to see you all :)

i ended up getting an email from them today, too. unfortunately, theyre putting my application on-hold & not giving me an interview invite:(:(:(:(

Dont lose hope! Check with them again after Christmas. You can email them asking about the prerequisite completion. Just do something to let them know you are very interested.

Congratulations to everyone who was accepted! I look forward to meeting you all next fall. :thumbup:

this is a question for the current students, do most of you guys live on or off campus? I was also wondering when the actual pharmacy building will be done?

thanks!

this is a question for the current students, do most of you guys live on or off campus? I was also wondering when the actual pharmacy building will be done?

thanks!

I think living off campus was better, but its best to try and room with people in a house rather than an apartment. I was in a student housing apartment and didn't like the noise that still goes on in people's places around 2am in the morning.

As for the pharmacy building: The official pharmacy school building that is shown in the school website is not yet under-construction, we are still waiting for funds to start that; however, the school does have its own facility that has everything we need as a pharmacy student. Most of the time you would just be spending time at home studying or at one of the modular buildings within assigned rooms. I saw that people were saying how the trailer building doesn't look like a school, well its still developing but these trailer like rooms aren't bad, everything looks new. :)

I just got my email for an interview invitation for Feb 22- 25 in LAS VEGASSS TODAY!!!! :banana: I submitted my supplemental just last week and the pharmcas application in late October. The problem is I am scared you guys. I never been to Las Vegas in my life and I heard it's dangerous out there. Please lend me your advice on how you managed to survived a few days alone there because LV (and the interviewers) will surely eat this guy up alive. :diebanana:

By the way, UCI Alumni- Class of 2011 here:prof:

Last edited:
I just got my email for an interview invitation from Feb 22- 25 in LAS VEGASSS TODAY!!!! :banana: I submitted my supplemental just last week and the pharmcas application in late October. The problem is I am scared you guys. I never been to Las Vegas in my life and I heard it's dangerous out there. Please lend me your advice on how you managed to survived a few days alone there because LV (and the interviewers) will surely eat this guy up alive. :diebanana:

By the way, UCI Alumni- Class of 2011 here:prof:

I live in Las Vegas for 9+years now and it is not all that dangerous. I mean granted there are many tourists that go here for a vacation. LOL

You are probably thinking of the tourist area. They have really nice residential area. I think in a few years, it will be like irvine too =]

The interview is pretty relax, just get there like 30 mins before your interview. Use google map with street view to get familiar with the area, it is really not that bad.

Did you drive to Las Vegas from Orange County? Or by plane?

Last edited:
My parents recently moved to Vegas, so I drove up and stay a night before the interview.

Drove from SD to LA to Vegas, I was so tired.

Maybe you should get some friends to go with you, then in the morning while they're asleep/drunk, go to the interview (assuming you have a morning interview) =P

i ended up getting an email from them today, too. unfortunately, theyre putting my application on-hold & not giving me an interview invite:(:(:(:(

Yes don't lose hope!! I applied early admission and my application was put on hold. After that, I e-mailed Kristy and asked what I could do to help my application, and two days later they emailed me an interview offer and I got accepted! Just show them you want it, and if she keep seeing your name maybe she will pay more attention :) Good luck and keep your head up!

My peer at UCI said that Hilo has lost accreditation and are being sued? Has anyone heard about this and is this true?

Last edited:
My peer at UCI said that Hilo has lost accreditation and are being sued? Has anyone heard about this and is this true?

I think your peer was referring to the Hawaii College of Pharmacy, which did get shut down by the state.

I think your peer was referring to the Hawaii College of Pharmacy, which did get shut down by the state.

Oh my, thank you so much for the clarifications. I was worried that the news was for Hilo.:)

Yes don't lose hope!! I applied early admission and my application was put on hold. After that, I e-mailed Kristy and asked what I could do to help my application, and two days later they emailed me an interview offer and I got accepted! Just show them you want it, and if she keep seeing your name maybe she will pay more attention :) Good luck and keep your head up!

aww thank you :)
what did you end up asking in the email besides what else did you have to do to improve. did you add anything else how you really want to get into pharmacy school or anything?

For those who got accepted for Fall 2012, would you kindly share your stats? I want to see if there is any hope for me and the other hopefuls.

GPA 3.0 (Major GPA: 2.75, 3.3)
PCAT 88

5 years of experience in laboratory: Research Associate, Manager, Safety Area Coordinator, Lab Assistant

2 years of community service in free clinics

1.5 years for personal project

60 hours of school related organizations

2 years of tutoring experiences

2 LORs from Professors whom I have worked for years, and they have high opinions of me.

1 LOR from Pharmacy Director who known me for 2 years.

GPA: 3.75
PCAT: 69
2 years pharmacy volunteer
NO college degree, just prereqs
Hawaii Pacific University Biology Major

Has anyone heard from the COP over break? Im curious to know if they are reviewing apps while they are closed for the holidays....

As Chris11792 pointed out, " their offices will be closing for the holidays form Dec 17 to Jan 3."

They wont even be working but enjoying the holidays (you should too)

If anyone has been accepted to this school, please let me know so you can be added to the Official Roll Call for Class of 2015/2016. Please post in the sticky thread your acceptances and the program you will be attending (if accepted to multiple schools).

Here is the link to the sticky thread:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=847419

:):thumbup:

Congrats to all who made it! I got in too :D

I was going over the matriculation process and ran into this, which I'm not quite sure of what I need to turn in, since I'm a US citizen and I don't have an alien card.

PERMANENT RESIDENTS: Must provide a copy of their permanent resident alien card no later than two weeks from the date of offer.

Any help would be highly appreciated, gotta send in the stuff soon :)

Did you drive to Las Vegas from Orange County? Or by plane?
I am from OC, and I decided to fly there. The flight is less than an hour and it only cost me $80 roundtrip. Not too bad, it was a day trip for me.