University of Hawaii, Hilo Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If you look a little earlier in this thread I believe some people were talking about what they were to receive for financial aid as a nonresident which I think was around $49-50K. I think they were mentioning that it didn't seem like enough for you guys.

Wow. That's actually plenty money. I think I'll wait to find out if they give us grants because I want to try not to take out too much loans. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Actually, it's 57K for most of us in the mainlaind

Yeah I was offered a little over 57,000, but they are all loans. I didn't receive any grants from them though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I was offered a little over 57,000, but they are all loans. I didn't receive any grants from them though.

Do you guys think having a Bachelor's affect grant awards? Do you have a Bachelor's?

Do you guys think having a Bachelor's affect grant awards? Do you have a Bachelor's?

I will have my BS in two weeks and I was awarded the same $57K, all loans. I didn't get the impression they offer much in the way of grants. I wish they did though! :p Unfortunately, I think it is pretty standard to do it this way. Did Butler really offer you grant money? I've never heard of that happening for a standard Pharm.D. program before. :confused:

I will have my BS in two weeks and I was awarded the same $57K, all loans. I didn't get the impression they offer much in the way of grants. I wish they did though! :p Unfortunately, I think it is pretty standard to do it this way. Did Butler really offer you grant money? I've never heard of that happening for a standard Pharm.D. program before. :confused:

I thought it was kind of weird too because my fiance had all loans. I think it may be because I don't have my degree yet....I don't know. I was offered a Butler grant and two diff. types of Fed. grant money.

I thought it was kind of weird too because my fiance had all loans. I think it may be because I don't have my degree yet....I don't know. I was offered a Butler grant and two diff. types of Fed. grant money.

Yeah, maybe that's it...maybe they are still considering you an undergrad? Hey, it's a good thing though! :thumbup: Not that I'm trying to talk you out of Hawaii -- maybe in your situation they would offer something similar. I didn't get my award info until after I paid the deposit though, so you might want to ask about the chances if you are still undecided.

Congratulations on the acceptance by the way!
:)

No I don't have a Bachelor's, and I applied at an undergrad on my FAFSA but Hawaii won't give me any grants because it is a graduate professional program. That is really good that Butler will give you grant money though! That makes it a hard decision!

Yeah, maybe that's it...maybe they are still considering you an undergrad? Hey, it's a good thing though! :thumbup: Not that I'm trying to talk you out of Hawaii -- maybe in your situation they would offer something similar. I didn't get my award info until after I paid the deposit though, so you might want to ask about the chances if you are still undecided.

Congratulations on the acceptance by the way!
:)

Thanks.:)

No I don't have a Bachelor's, and I applied at an undergrad on my FAFSA but Hawaii won't give me any grants because it is a graduate professional program. That is really good that Butler will give you grant money though! That makes it a hard decision!

Oh, I know. One bad thing if I do decide to attend Butler is that they are requiring for me to finish my bachelor's degree before graduating from their program.

Time for advertisement in this inactive thread.

For the people who're wondering why the thread is so quiet. Most people have joined the facebook group. There is a group for the class of 2016 and also another group for the whole UHH CoP. People on those facebook groups have been very helpful on questions about the school, financial aid etc.. If you are looking for housing, roomates, furnitures, old textbooks, join up!

For people who dont want to join the facebook group, you guys are free to ask any question here. Dont let the inactiveness of the thread stop you from asking question or help. I still check this thread once in a while.

Now for a brief update on my current situation. I was awarded around 57K loans as an out of state student, but I accepted 46K. Still looking for apartment..

Time for advertisement in this inactive thread.

For the people who're wondering why the thread is so quiet. Most people have joined the facebook group. There is a group for the class of 2016 and also another group for the whole UHH CoP. People on those facebook groups have been very helpful on questions about the school, financial aid etc.. If you are looking for housing, roomates, furnitures, old textbooks, join up!

For people who dont want to join the facebook group, you guys are free to ask any question here. Dont let the inactiveness of the thread stop you from asking question or help. I still check this thread once in a while.

Now for a brief update on my current situation. I was awarded around 57K loans as an out of state student, but I accepted 46K. Still looking for apartment..

Ah, the Facebook group... that makes sense. :oops: I don't have a Facebook account though...so I guess I'll stick with here for now. Thanks for the info. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
to those who interviewed, but not yet accepted, have you received a rejection notice yet or are you still waitlisted? i'm still hoping things work out!!
thanks.

to those who interviewed, but not yet accepted, have you received a rejection notice yet or are you still waitlisted? i'm still hoping things work out!!
thanks.

Still waitlisted. No denial yet. They told me historically there is much more action on the waitlist in the Summer months. Don't lose hope. :)

Sent from my DROID Pro using SDN Mobile

Ah, the Facebook group... that makes sense. :oops: I don't have a Facebook account though...so I guess I'll stick with here for now. Thanks for the info. :)

I should quit my facebook account when the school starts. I dont like where facebook is going (especially after it start posting yahoo articles I read to everyone on my friend list.. now all my friends know that I was reading a pokemon card article lol) I probably would get more productive w/o fb too.

Anyway most of the discussions on the facebook have been about financial aid package, people looking for housing, buying and selling car (I got myself one), classes schedule, internship and more!

I will try to repost the questions and answers I got from the facebook group later when I had the chance.

To the ppl still waiting: Good luck! Wish the best for you guys.

Last edited:
I just recently been place on the alternate list not too long ago. Do you think I shouldn't get my hopes high of getting in? After all it is May.

I just recently been place on the alternate list not too long ago. Do you think I shouldn't get my hopes high of getting in? After all it is May.

Base on other posts, I believe there are still a chance for you to get pull from alternative list. Some ppl are probably still waiting for decision from other schools as well, which could open up spot for you if they decide to join other school.

When I was waitlisted I emailed Kristy to find out what I can do better next year. About 3 weeks later they pulled me from the list. Don't loose hope. I think people are might be researching what Hilo is like, the cost and etc. I think people are still looking at their options until the last possible minute. :)

I sure do hope so. Thanks for support you guys :)

To those who are wait-listed: I have decided to go elsewhere so I withdrew my admissions here. So there's one more spot available! :)

I think this school has great potential and would have been an awesome experience. Unfortunately, with all factors considered, it turned out not to be the best option for me. I have to admit it kinda hurts to say goodbye...

:luck: Good luck! :luck:

To those who are wait-listed: I have decided to go elsewhere so I withdrew my admissions here. So there's one more spot available! :)

I think this school has great potential and would have been an awesome experience. Unfortunately, with all factors considered, it turned out not to be the best option for me. I have to admit it kinda hurts to say goodbye...

:luck: Good luck! :luck:

Aww Ep132. Best of luck to you where ever you're going!

Hey guys,

So the health requirements and other paperworks are due tomorrow. Is it just be or it's a buttload of paperwork to turn in!! I've turned in everything, but had to request an extension for one health requirement but all these bloodwork titer and waiting for the results and then getting immunization shots and whatnot seem like a much longer process then by June 1.

Anyways, my little rant. So what is everyone going to be doing this summer before school starts?!

Hello everyone,

First off, congrats to all those accepted and is going to attend UHH CoP, and for those waiting, don't give up hope yet.

About the vog, you can barely feel or smell anything in Hawaii unless you are up hiking the volcanoes. It's really nothing to worry. I have seasonal allergies in CA and don't feel a thing in HI. When i come back to CA for the summer, my allergies are back.

HI does rain almost everyday but mostly at night. It rains sometimes during the day but depends on the season (mostly winter).

I have a Bachelor going into pharm school. From what i've learned there are no grants for professional programs, its pretty much all loans and scholarships when you apply. So if you get grants from a school then you are lucky. Whether or not you have a BS yet going in, you most likely will not get any grants from the school. I've also offered 57K for my 2nd year but i really didn't accept it all, i actually had some extra from the last time. If you guys are not sure how much loans to get, you can accept them all for the first year and then lessen for the next year.

I've actually been busy and haven't been here much, but you guys are doing a great job here with the information gathering and supporting each other regarding acceptance and application process. If there are any more questions, feel free to ask and i will try to answer. Good luck everyone, see you all in August!!

Hi,

I had a question for the pharmacy students already at UH Hilo. How is the transportation system like in Hilo? If I don't have a car is that going to be hard for me?

Also about the experiential sites for first year pharmacy students. Where are the experiential sites for P1s? Are they far from campus and require transportation?

Hi,

I had a question for the pharmacy students already at UH Hilo. How is the transportation system like in Hilo? If I don't have a car is that going to be hard for me?

Also about the experiential sites for first year pharmacy students. Where are the experiential sites for P1s? Are they far from campus and require transportation?

In my opinion you will most definitely need some form of transportation, whether it be needing to get to school or rotation sites. It will be very difficult for you not having transportation. There is a public transportation system in Hilo, but from what I've heard it is not the best. All students will do the same IPPEs, but no two students will ever have the same schedule so you cannot always depend on someone else for rides.

All of the sites for the IPPEs during P1 year, for us at least, were in Hilo. However, most of them were not near campus.

I hope this helps. :thumbup:

Hey guys,

So the health requirements and other paperworks are due tomorrow. Is it just be or it's a buttload of paperwork to turn in!! I've turned in everything, but had to request an extension for one health requirement but all these bloodwork titer and waiting for the results and then getting immunization shots and whatnot seem like a much longer process then by June 1.

Anyways, my little rant. So what is everyone going to be doing this summer before school starts?!

It is probably too late to answer your question now, but I had to complete everything within a week, which was pretty crazy, All my titers came back positive. For my TB, I took a chest x ray and got the x ray file the next day (only required if you have a history of positive ppd). I got my other immunization shots at cvs minute clinic, which was convenient.

I also sent an email to the school to double check if they received my documents, and within minute they replied back (yay for the quick response).

As for my summer, I am just going to keep working full time besides playing D3 while searching for apartment at Hilo.

It took me two weeks to get all the health requirements. It would have only taken a week but my TB test came back negative and I had to do the second step.

It took me two weeks to get all the health requirements. It would have only taken a week but my TB test came back negative and I had to do the second step.

I think you meant positive on the ppd test? I kind of knew I would get fake positive result, so I scheduled for a chest x ray while on the ppd. I also didnt keep any record of my history of false positive screening, so I had to get a ppd just to get a "false positive".

Only if they accepted a QuantiFERON TB Gold test....

The interview is very laid back. The faculty interviewing you are very friendly and just want to get a better feel for you as a person. Be sure to look at the interview feedback as some of the same questions I saw here on SDN were asked to me in my interview. I also had a short writing sample, so just a heads up for that as well.

As always, if anyone has questions feel free to let me know and I'll do my best to answer them.

Carbond, I see you are from Southern California. What part? Where did you go to undergrad? I'm from Southern California as well.

I just got my acceptance letter, but wanted to inquire with some of the current students if establishing residency to qualify for in state tuition was hard? I read the FAQ webpage about it, and understand that the first yr has to be out of state, but how realistic or do most current out of state students really expect to pay out of state tuition for 4 years based on their resindecy requirements? (especially if you can't get a job in hilo while going to school?)
Any info would help with my decision to accept the invitation

Thanks!

Hey Guys,

Just going off Radar. I got the acceptance letter for PhD in Pharmaceutical sciences. I will be joining college in August. Do any one knows about campus housing and meal plans??

I am also trying to find about the rents of the houses of campus, and also heard that staying off campus would need me to buy a vehicle..

Hey Guys,

Just going off Radar. I got the acceptance letter for PhD in Pharmaceutical sciences. I will be joining college in August. Do any one knows about campus housing and meal plans??

I am also trying to find about the rents of the houses of campus, and also heard that staying off campus would need me to buy a vehicle..

http://hilo.hawaii.edu/housing/
Im not sure about any meal plans, you might want to give them a call.

My friend who lived there suggested a motor scooter for off campus. I personally bought a car myself there.

I just got my acceptance letter, but wanted to inquire with some of the current students if establishing residency to qualify for in state tuition was hard? I read the FAQ webpage about it, and understand that the first yr has to be out of state, but how realistic or do most current out of state students really expect to pay out of state tuition for 4 years based on their resindecy requirements? (especially if you can't get a job in hilo while going to school?)
Any info would help with my decision to accept the invitation

Thanks!

No if you're from out of state, then you pay the non-resident tuition. You cannot be a student and obtain residency at the same time.

http://hilo.hawaii.edu/housing/
Im not sure about any meal plans, you might want to give them a call.

My friend who lived there suggested a motor scooter for off campus. I personally bought a car myself there.

Thanx for d info.. Can u let me know what would be the cost of renting a room and what would be the cost of a used car if i buy 1.

WHAT IS THIS NOW?:eek: Is the infamous ft86 becoming part of the UHH CoP Class of 2016?!?!:soexcited::soexcited::soexcited:

I just got an email from Kristy saying that I'm still on the hold list. Any significance?

Thanx for d info.. Can u let me know what would be the cost of renting a room and what would be the cost of a used car if i buy 1.

Base on my research so far... If you get a single room apartment, it ranges from 650~900. If you share a house and have your own room, its about $300~500.

As for cost of a used car, you should check out the prices on craiglist. I got mine off a P4 pharmacy student for 3.5K. There is a group you can join for UH COP where ppl sometimes post listing for furnitures, rooms, cars. I am not sure how to post fb group link, maybe someone can help you out.

Base on my research so far... If you get a single room apartment, it ranges from 650~900. If you share a house and have your own room, its about $300~500.

As for cost of a used car, you should check out the prices on craiglist. I got mine off a P4 pharmacy student for 3.5K. There is a group you can join for UH COP where ppl sometimes post listing for furnitures, rooms, cars. I am not sure how to post fb group link, maybe someone can help you out.

Here's the facebook group link: http://www.facebook.com/groups/194759707220543/

Hey everyone! I just got accepted into UH Hilo for the class of 2016! Could anyone give me information about where I can find good housing? I got accepted so late and I'm worried all the good apartments have been taken. Also, if any girl is looking for a roommate, let's get in touch!

Hello everyone,

First off, congrats to all those accepted and is going to attend UHH CoP, and for those waiting, don't give up hope yet.

About the vog, you can barely feel or smell anything in Hawaii unless you are up hiking the volcanoes. It's really nothing to worry. I have seasonal allergies in CA and don't feel a thing in HI. When i come back to CA for the summer, my allergies are back.

HI does rain almost everyday but mostly at night. It rains sometimes during the day but depends on the season (mostly winter).

I have a Bachelor going into pharm school. From what i've learned there are no grants for professional programs, its pretty much all loans and scholarships when you apply. So if you get grants from a school then you are lucky. Whether or not you have a BS yet going in, you most likely will not get any grants from the school. I've also offered 57K for my 2nd year but i really didn't accept it all, i actually had some extra from the last time. If you guys are not sure how much loans to get, you can accept them all for the first year and then lessen for the next year.

I've actually been busy and haven't been here much, but you guys are doing a great job here with the information gathering and supporting each other regarding acceptance and application process. If there are any more questions, feel free to ask and i will try to answer. Good luck everyone, see you all in August!!
Hi there,

Could you give me any information on the best housing options for an incoming pharmacy student? I've never even been to Hilo and it would be great to get some idea of what my options are. I just got accepted to I'll need to act fast to get a place before school starts! Thank you!

Hi, everyone! I'm Jill, a P2 from UHH CoP and a brother from Phi Delta Chi at our school's Gamma Theta Chapter. If you're interested in joining our brotherhood, please visit our website, www.pdcgammatheta.com. The Rush 2012 page has just been updated. Hope to see you at our events! Thank you!

Could some of you please share your experiences of Hilo?
I've never been there and I would like to learn more about the area, and the school. What makes it stand out, and why did you decide to go there (or apply there)?

Thanks!!

Could some of you please share your experiences of Hilo?
I've never been there and I would like to learn more about the area, and the school. What makes it stand out, and why did you decide to go there (or apply there)?

Thanks!!

I always wanted to experience a different culture than where I came from (California). That is one of the many reasons why I picked UHH COP. So far, the experience here has been great. I really like the influences of western and eastern culture here. The people here are very friendly. We already got fellow classmates sharing useful notes and assignment tips on our facebook page. Everyone is very eager to help each other. It really depends on you , some people might not like hilo because it is so different from the mainland. If you have the time and the financial means, definitely pay school a visit

The school itself is trying hard to improve its curriculum to perfection. There are couple things added to the curriculum that weren’t there the year before. They are constantly improving and testing their curriculum every year. I seriously think in a few years, our school will be one of the top 25 pharmacy schools in the nation (though I dont like the method of how the ranking of pharmacy school is established..)

We have several rotational sites in different islands and also some places in the mainland, so there are a lot of choices and opportunities here. The faculty here encourages student to participate in different community projects. Some professors even moved the exam dates to allow students to have the time to participate in national organization conference. There are also several unique courses in the curriculum that is not offer anywhere else.
The only thing I don’t like about hilo is its high cost of living (food and gas)

Well I will stop here. You should definitely check out this school.

I got an interview last year and was accepted.

3.0 GPA, 2 BS majors, 2 miniors, 3 different extracurriculum activities each last 2~3 years, pcat 90s, 3 LOR from people who know me really well.

You can also refer back to earlier pages where students have shared their stats

Is anyone going to the interview on the 9th?