University of Houston

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was wondering if there's such thing as being able to get credit for an undergrad science course as part of pharmD degree... for classes such as "molecular biology" or "cell biology"... just curious... some of the first year classes that we have to take seems very similar to the classes i listed... :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

sangl1979 said:
I was wondering if there's such thing as being able to get credit for an undergrad science course as part of pharmD degree... for classes such as "molecular biology" or "cell biology"... just curious... some of the first year classes that we have to take seems very similar to the classes i listed... :confused:

I've looked into this and for some schools, they do exempt you from some courses like Biochemistry. I've talked to some administrators at UT and they said I could take a test for biochem and if i scored at least B on the test, then I can skip the course. But if you made a C in the course during undergrad, they're going ot make you retake it. Also, biochem in pharmd school tries to incorporate SOME pharmacology in to so it might be to your benefit to retake it and mingle with your new classmates also.

I declined my acceptance to UH, good luck to some lucky person that gets that spot... I thought UH was a great school for early exposure to the different types fo clinical settings...

Members don't see this ad :)
I just declined my admissions also. Goodluck everyone!

I just got my acceptance from UH :) It's a big consideration since it's in-state and close to home...plus 100% passing rate on the NAPLEX -- pretty good if you ask me :laugh:

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone could shine a little light on the housing situation in Houston. Do most pharmacy students live off campus and drive in everyday? Is there even on-campus housing available, and if so, is it any good? Do you really need a car if you attend?

Thanks Guys, I appreciate it ^_^

I'll be attending either TSU or UH this fall, and am definitely living off campus. The campus and surrounding neighborhood just don't seem like the safest/nicest place to live. Last week I signed a 15-month lease at AMLI Towne Square downtown. It's about 10mins away and I totally fell in love with it the second I walked in to the leasing office hehe Most of the students I spoke with told me they either lived downtown or near the Medical Center.

AMLI Towne Square

Also, I don't know what kind of car you drive, but the roads in the UH/TSU area were pretty bad when I went. I'll probably get a beater for driving to/from school since there's no way I'm parking my car on campus.

djbacklash said:
I'll be attending either TSU or UH this fall, and am definitely living off campus. The campus and surrounding neighborhood just don't seem like the safest/nicest place to live. Last week I signed a 15-month lease at AMLI Towne Square downtown. It's about 10mins away and I totally fell in love with it the second I walked in to the leasing office hehe Most of the students I spoke with told me they either lived downtown or near the Medical Center.

AMLI Towne Square

Also, I don't know what kind of car you drive, but the roads in the UH/TSU area were pretty bad when I went. I'll probably get a beater for driving to/from school since there's no way I'm parking my car on campus.

Oooh, those apartments look luxurious! :) I am heading over to Houston in a week or so to check out both the school and possible housing. I definitely want to find a safe and somewhat nice place to live...As for the car, I probably will find a used car. Everything seems so spread out that I feel like you definitely need one!

Hey everybody,
I gt my letter of acceptance awhile ago and have started the hunt for an apartment and roomate....Anyone here in a similar position....I would prefer to live around the medical center and not ind downtown....Also, since I dont have a car and would want to live close to the rail/bus stations....Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
thanks

chantelle said:
Hey everybody,
I gt my letter of acceptance awhile ago and have started the hunt for an apartment and roomate....Anyone here in a similar position....I would prefer to live around the medical center and not ind downtown....Also, since I dont have a car and would want to live close to the rail/bus stations....Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
thanks

yikes! you absolutely need a car to get around houston. the rail only runs in downtown and the med center. i would not recommend taking the bus to school...UH is not located in the greatest area. for housing, try searching for places in the 77054 zip code. hope this helps!

Yes, you MUST have a car to get around Houston. Houston is not a "walkable" city like Austin.

rxaggie2005 said:
Yes, you MUST have a car to get around Houston. Houston is not a "walkable" city like Austin.

I'll be attending UH in the fall and I'm happy but I miss Austin already!!! :(

i've been waiting for UH to release their applications for the fall 2006 class..but still no luck! does anybody know when they release them? :(

I know UT doesn't release them until October.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks buddy

congrats on UT ..i heard it's 3rd best in the nation!

Divine786 said:
i've been waiting for UH to release their applications for the fall 2006 class..but still no luck! does anybody know when they release them? :(

UH is moving towards an electronic application, and I think they might be implementing it this fall. I'm not sure when it will be released, but paper applications were generally released around September. check this website for more info.

Divine786 said:
thanks buddy

congrats on UT ..i heard it's 3rd best in the nation!

UT's number 2 in the nation...

sangl1979 said:
I'll be attending UH in the fall and I'm happy but I miss Austin already!!! :(

I'll be heading to UH this fall too! ^_^ Where are you going to be staying? Look forward to meeting ya! :)

when did most of ya'll start applying?

Divine786 said:
when did most of ya'll start applying?

Turned in all my app stuff right before Feb 1. :thumbup:

Divine786 said:

hey, i'm assuming you got accepted and stuff..so did u have a pretty strong pcat/ gpa?

Divine786 said:
hey, i'm assuming you got accepted and stuff..so did u have a pretty strong pcat/ gpa?

i am definitely a procrastinator :cool: i did have a competitive gpa/pcat :thumbup: but i wouldnt recommend waiting till the last minute to turn in ur app like me (ut priority deadline was feb 1st so I mailed all my ut and uh stuff the same time) ;) goodluck with the upcoming app process :thumbup:

utpharmdude said:
i am definitely a procrastinator :cool: i did have a competitive gpa/pcat :thumbup: but i wouldnt recommend waiting till the last minute to turn in ur app like me (ut priority deadline was feb 1st so I mailed all my ut and uh stuff the same time) ;) goodluck with the upcoming app process :thumbup:

thanks, i'm really ready to get the app process over and done with :p I know that it's not required to be a pharm tech. but how else do you get a pharmacists recommendation?

Divine786 said:
thanks, i'm really ready to get the app process over and done with :p I know that it's not required to be a pharm tech. but how else do you get a pharmacists recommendation?

I volunteered at a hospital pharmacy during highschool and college summers. I got to meet and work with several pharmacist who I ended up getting lotr from. You should try volunteering at your local hospital and get to know the pharmacist. Also, go to your local chain pharmacy to ask them if you can shadow them to learn more about the field. Hope this helps. :thumbup:

utpharmdude said:
I volunteered at a hospital pharmacy during highschool and college summers. I got to meet and work with several pharmacist who I ended up getting lotr from. You should try volunteering at your local hospital and get to know the pharmacist. Also, go to your local chain pharmacy to ask them if you can shadow them to learn more about the field. Hope this helps. :thumbup:

phew! i finally got an interview with walgreens as a pharm tech. ...does anybody know what type of questions they ask?? ...i've heard of some places giving quizzes based on info taking from the PTCB exam...lemme know if u have any ideas

Hello,
I'm not sure where to post a school-specific question but can anyone recommend me which person I should be in contact to w/ UH in terms of admission? I'm planning to apply for Fall 2006 & I checked their website but they don't list anyone/any particular name (Unlike UT Austin/ Texas Tech).

I need a contact info to see if I can have them review my transcript (since I'm not a traditional student and took some of my pre-requisites ages ago, I got them all approved by UT and TT though..). Thanks in advance for any info on this!

rougemarie said:
Hello,
I'm not sure where to post a school-specific question but can anyone recommend me which person I should be in contact to w/ UH in terms of admission? I'm planning to apply for Fall 2006 & I checked their website but they don't list anyone/any particular name (Unlike UT Austin/ Texas Tech).

I need a contact info to see if I can have them review my transcript (since I'm not a traditional student and took some of my pre-requisites ages ago, I got them all approved by UT and TT though..). Thanks in advance for any info on this!

Ms. Paige Pitman is extremely helpful and friendly! :) I asked her before my credits before matriculating and she helped me out A LOT!

Vandykitten said:
Ms. Paige Pitman is extremely helpful and friendly! :) I asked her before my credits before matriculating and she helped me out A LOT!

Thanks a lot, Vandykitten!! That helps a lot. I will try to contact her asap. Did you e-mail her using the general email address or perhaps snail-mail her or call her? Pls. feel free to PM me if you don't want to list personal info on this board (I hope this is o.k.?) Many thanks for your help :D

Do you have to take a political science course as a pre-req for UH pharm school? cuz I've taken history classes but not u.s. texas constitutions and govt. and stuff. And if I'm from out of state am I supposed to call the admissions office and check if i have or will have satisfied all the requirements? Thanks!

funnyshoes84 said:
Do you have to take a political science course as a pre-req for UH pharm school? cuz I've taken history classes but not u.s. texas constitutions and govt. and stuff. And if I'm from out of state am I supposed to call the admissions office and check if i have or will have satisfied all the requirements? Thanks!

Yes. I'm currently in Summer School (before I matriculate this fall!!!) taking the second part of US history and the two government courses that are required. I believe at least one of them must be TX politics. However, you can double check by e-mailing anybody in the office.

In my acceptance letter these are the polisci courses listed:

Texas Government
US Government

rougemarie said:
Thanks a lot, Vandykitten!! That helps a lot. I will try to contact her asap. Did you e-mail her using the general email address or perhaps snail-mail her or call her? Pls. feel free to PM me if you don't want to list personal info on this board (I hope this is o.k.?) Many thanks for your help :D

It's no problem! I e-mailed her using her general e-mail address that is listed on the website. I also was in contact with her via phone. (She has it listed as a signature on her e-mail OR you can call the main office and have them transfer you) :)