MPH University of Illinois - Chicago 2015 Accepted Students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone have a plan to cover Summer tuition? My Fin Aid package (loans, for now...) should cover me enough for 9 months (move-in month + Fall and Spring term)... but I am not sure what's going on over the summer... I know we have a practicum that has to be done in Chicago (not sure if we get paid or not, lol no one is answering me) and I will be taking courses for my certificate... Has anyone spoken to Fin Aid about assigning more loans? I did email them, but I am getting worried :-/ even with a roommate my expenses still look so high for living :/
Summer falls into the next years' (2016-2017) year

Members don't see this ad.

Summer falls into the next years' (2016-2017) year
The practicum doesn't necessarily have to be done in Chicago and I believe it can be paid or unpaid (depends on the organization that you do it with). I think that you can get additional aid for the summer months if you take a certain number of hours.

I was under the impression it had to be done here. Then I read something post my post

But thank you both! I really appreciate it!

Have any of the epi people been able to get in contact with Liliana Aceves? I've emailed her multiple times and have received no responses.

I spoke with her when I first got accepted. I haven't had to contact her since. Have you tried calling her directly?

Members don't see this ad :)
I spoke with her when I first got accepted. I haven't had to contact her since. Have you tried calling her directly?
I haven't tried calling her directly. I did speak with her briefly in person when I was visiting the school last month, but I just haven't been able to get in contact with her via email. Did you call her or email her?

I emailed her, and she set up a time for me to call her.
I can see if I still have her number. Is there a question someone else can answer or no?

I emailed her, and she set up a time for me to call her.
I can see if I still have her number. Is there a question someone else can answer or no?
Maybe I somehow have her email wrong, but I'm sure I can email somebody else to get some of my questions answered. Most of them aren't very urgent, anyways.

Maybe I somehow have her email wrong, but I'm sure I can email somebody else to get some of my questions answered. Most of them aren't very urgent, anyways.

I just checked, and did my phone call with Kristen Rankin from Epi-MCH. I just emailed with Mrs. Aceves.

Last edited:
Is anyone in the MHA program? And also, for everyone, has anyone actually successfully gotten an assistantship or has gotten the slightest bit of information about how to? I know they say to sign up in the listserv (already did that) and they say to contact the Program Director (already did that) and look through the job positions (did that), and yet I still can't find any! I felt that I was just a little too late on looking for them, but now that I see that pretty much everyone hasn't gotten any info, it may mean that they'll have some by the summer?...for those already in the School Of Public Health, what's your intake? This is a big determinant on my end. I have another school willing to cover everything (but it's a smaller program), and the aid of UIC is going to determine whether or not I choose to go there. Any further info would be great!

Would you be up for a Q&A or answering questions in general? I'm guessing most of us here would love to get a current student perspective on things, as the logistics of starting at UIC are starting to draw closer.

Sure, I check this thread from time to time and I think I'm supposed to get updates on it (not sure why I didn't see your request until now!).

Does anyone have a plan to cover Summer tuition? My Fin Aid package (loans, for now...) should cover me enough for 9 months (move-in month + Fall and Spring term)... but I am not sure what's going on over the summer... I know we have a practicum that has to be done in Chicago (not sure if we get paid or not, lol no one is answering me) and I will be taking courses for my certificate... Has anyone spoken to Fin Aid about assigning more loans? I did email them, but I am getting worried :-/ even with a roommate my expenses still look so high for living :/

In the summer, grad students have to be registered for at least 5 hours and professional students have to be registered for at least 6 hours to be eligible for financial aid (I'm not this summer).

Practicum doesn't have to be done in Chicago-- I have a friend who is doing it at IDPH in Springfield-- and can be paid or unpaid. It pretty much just depends on the funding of the program that hires you. I know people who have either. I don't have to do a practicum because I'm doing a thesis, but according to my MPH friends the number of hours you work at the practicum experience over the summer determines how many credit hours that will count for.

As for the question above about assistantships... The advice about signing up for the listserv is real. The activity on there really follows the academic calendar, so there was a flurry of job postings late spring/early summer (our semester ended 5/8) and when I was accepted there were also a lot of postings again starting in July. I got my job through the listserv and had to turn down two other interviews I also got through the listserv that week. You should also check the UIC announcements. They are probably getting sent to your school email if your NetID is set up, and you can forward them or check them online here: http://www.uic.edu/htbin/eventcal/eventcal.fcgi Schools aren't picky about hiring only their own students (some schools like Medicine and Nursing specifically advertise for public health students and on our listserv) and depending on your background you might be eligible for things that are advertised to the whole school.

Unlike research assistantships and graduate assistantships (which seem to depend on the program's funding, at least based on the job ads I see), teaching assistantships seem to always involve a tuition waiver. Masters students can and do TA, usually their second year because you generally need to have taken and done well in the class yourself. The best way to get these is to get to know professors you like early and just tell them you're interested. In Epi our student coordinator also has a list of people who are interested. If you have a position in the spring that involves a tuition/fee waiver, that waiver will also cover whatever you do in the summer.

Reactions: 1 users
Sure, I check this thread from time to time and I think I'm supposed to get updates on it (not sure why I didn't see your request until now!).

Awesome, thanks! Everyone else, feel free to chime in, but I'm just going to throw out a couple questions below.

- Anything you wish you had known about UIC or the SPH as an incoming/prospective student?
- What's student life like? Are people friends outside of classes or mostly stick to themselves?
- Housing suggestions?

Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone gotten emails from the listserv?

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied, but the email said that we wouldn't hear anything until the end of the month. I'll write back here if I hear something.
They've been pretty quiet since admission, but, I haven't needed anything really.
did you get accepted also? :)

did you get accepted also? :)

Well, that's a funny story. I hadn't heard anything from them so I emailed to see what's up. I was selected to interview, but they had a bad email address for me, so they allowed me to interview late. I'm waiting to hear back.
Have you gotten a good idea of what the program is about? To me it seems to be a mix of a diversity *thing* and an academic refresher.

Which listserv is the most active, News or Views?

Last edited:
Awesome, thanks! Everyone else, feel free to chime in, but I'm just going to throw out a couple questions below.

- Anything you wish you had known about UIC or the SPH as an incoming/prospective student?
- What's student life like? Are people friends outside of classes or mostly stick to themselves?
- Housing suggestions?

- I actually attended UIUC downstate for undergrad, so I was probably more familiar with the inner workings of the university than many students. I even got to keep my student ID and NetID just with the UIC domain.

I wish I had known about the Integrated Core. As an MS student I don't have the option to participate in that (I actually like my traditional classes fine though, and tons of people are still in them), but I was pretty confused the first semester when people asked me why I didn't do it or when many people seemed to know each other very well already, because I hadn't been told that it existed! Especially when my peers all seemed to have the same schedule and be friends already, I thought it was just me for a while.

I wish I had moved to the neighborhood (I will definitely move after graduation, possibly out of state, so there's no point now), and I wish I had just bought a SAS license for my personal computer right away. It wasn't that necessary in first semester Epi, but it also wasn't that expensive and SAS takes a while to install-- it would have been nice to have it up and running at the start of semester 2. Apparently there is frequently an interruption in the campus' SAS licenses in the spring, which causes problems for people taking methods classes who don't have their own copy.

- People are friendly. After my awkward first semester, I got pulled into a great study group almost without trying. First semester, people from the class made an effort to go to a nearby bar every Friday afternoon after class and anyone could drop by. Several student groups will hold their meetings or activities in that first floor lounge at lunch time. I think each incoming class makes a Facebook group and there's a student association one too-- people are pretty good about posting volunteer and social opportunities there. However, many people are commuting from the suburbs or from elsewhere in the city. Many of my friends commute so we tend to go out to lunch together between classes rather than get together on the weekend.

- I already lived in the city, so I kept my existing apartment in Lakeview. That's a nice area (way cheaper than Lincoln Park directly south of me, but you can get to all the same stuff and the public transportation options are great) but it's about an hour from campus by CTA. University Village/Little Italy is a really cute area, and I actually wish I had moved down here. You can walk to parts of downtown, especially Greek Town, and get to both the Pink and Blue lines which is useful.

If you don't want to live right on campus-- it can be cheaper not to depending what neighborhood you pick-- it's a better bet to take the L here than the bus. Several of our east/west buses to downtown are not that direct for some reason, and while the north/south Ashland bus drops off right near SPH it is really not fast.

In Chicago, rental agents are paid for by the landlord and free to the potential tenant. (I used Elan Realty to find my current place.) They can be worth working with if you don't know where to start. It's also common here for some utilities to be included especially heat. This is really desirable in older buildings, even if you have to pay slightly more rent. Finally, this is a good time to join the listservs if you haven't already because I've seen several people on there looking for roommates or to sublet their apartments in the last few days.

Has anyone applied for a certificate? I just applied a few days ago, and they want me to another $60 application fee for a certificate :/ want to get it waived but not sure how... Open to any suggestions.

Has anyone applied for a certificate? I just applied a few days ago, and they want me to another $60 application fee for a certificate :/ want to get it waived but not sure how... Open to any suggestions.

Did you ask them about waivers? Maybe explain that you just moved to the area from out of state? They are usually pretty good about that stuff.

Finally, this is a good time to join the listservs if you haven't already because I've seen several people on there looking for roommates or to sublet their apartments in the last few days.

Thanks for your info! Are there other listservs besides News & Views?
Also, did you have to do a practical with your MS?

Did you ask them about waivers? Maybe explain that you just moved to the area from out of state? They are usually pretty good about that stuff.

Yes, I did... they said they'd get back too me... I just thought it was a bit ridiculous to pay $60 fee for a certificate? I don't recall any other school having to make anyone pay a fee for a certificate...

It kind of makes sense because it's another application. And colleges are like airline, they charge you for everything. Concentrations are free, but there's no separate application for them.

It kind of makes sense because it's another application. And colleges are like airline, they charge you for everything. Concentrations are free, but there's no separate application for them.

Lol... seriously they are starting to charge for everything! I already have to pay out of state tuition since I'm not a resident of IL

Got my fee waived! All I had to do was ask :)

Good stuff.
To me, it seems like they are really accommodating, when you get in touch with them.

Now we all just have to wait for our advisors.. I've already got my courses picked, how about y'all?

Good stuff.
To me, it seems like they are really accommodating, when you get in touch with them.

Now we all just have to wait for our advisors.. I've already got my courses picked, how about y'all?

I thought we had set courses? I've been so busy trying to find a place, I've put school on the back burner for a bit... Feel a little lost

I thought we had set courses? I've been so busy trying to find a place, I've put school on the back burner for a bit... Feel a little lost

Right, there are set courses, but there are electives too. And for me, I have a bunch of extra stuff because I have like 3 things going on (yikes).

Right, there are set courses, but there are electives too. And for me, I have a bunch of extra stuff because I have like 3 things going on (yikes).

yeah, I haven't heard back from the global health concentration advisor (or not sure if thats her exact label) --I just decided to work on my degree, my certificate (in Spring 2016) granted I get accepted too it, and join a humanitarian organization in place of the global health concentration

should be exciting!

yeah, I haven't heard back from the global health concentration advisor (or not sure if thats her exact label) --I just decided to work on my degree, my certificate (in Spring 2016) granted I get accepted too it, and join a humanitarian organization in place of the global health concentration

should be exciting!

You're talking about getting in touch with the Global Health people because of the certificate?

I'm doing MCH Epi, but with a Global Health concentration. My MCH Epi advisor told me just to take the required GH classes (which I confirmed with the Student Handbook), I didn't have to talk to anyone else. But, obviously your certificate is much different.

You're talking about getting in touch with the Global Health people because of the certificate?

I'm doing MCH Epi, but with a Global Health concentration. My MCH Epi advisor told me just to take the required GH classes (which I confirmed with the Student Handbook), I didn't have to talk to anyone else. But, obviously your certificate is much different.

No certificate will be in management, hopefully... i initially wanted to add a concentration on top of everything, but its been really difficult to get a hold of anyone so I've just decided against it.

Ah. I see.
I'm sorry you've had such a hard time getting in contact with people.

Ah. I see.
I'm sorry you've had such a hard time getting in contact with people.

lol it's all good :) it made me realize it wasn't going to do much for me career wise... So I'll pick up some student organizations or start one for global humanitarian work

Have any of the HPA advisors contacted anyone? I'm still not registered for anything, feeling a little behind and lost...

Have any of the HPA advisors contacted anyone? I'm still not registered for anything, feeling a little behind and lost...

I haven't heard from anyone. I emailed Brandon and was told that the HPA department usually sends registration and graduate advisor information towards the end of June, so hopefully it should be coming to us soon. He also said to contact the department directly for a more detailed timeline. Hope this helps! :)

I haven't heard from anyone. I emailed Brandon and was told that the HPA department usually sends registration and graduate advisor information towards the end of June, so hopefully it should be coming to us soon. He also said to contact the department directly for a more detailed timeline. Hope this helps! :)

Thank You! I emailed Shirley, then I got a message saying she'll be out of the office for some time, so I emailed Brandon same thing he's out of the office. So I thought let me ask someone on here.

This morning I received this:

"You will be receiving notification shortly indicating your assigned advisor."

Just worried I'll be leaving to Europe in a few weeks for a few weeks lol

Do you happen to know if our advisors contact us via email? Or phone?

Yeah, across the board, the are giving Advisor info at the end of the month.

I hate waiting too!

Last edited:
Yeah, across across board, the are giving Advisor info at the end of the month.

I hate waiting too!

I haven't been able to register for a single course, lol, and I know I've said this before but I wish they would be like "Ok your next step is too 1, 2,3..." Instead of making me have to email them a million times...

Advisors will be contacting us via phone, so I'm hoping it's before my trip... Because all I will have is email when I can get my hands on wifi over there

My friend did warn me when she was there, that you have to be proactive to get anything done. Which is still better than nothing...

Last edited:
On campus for the next month. Really excited to start this adventure!

Just wanted to mention one of the recurring themes that we've had thus far.
Both staff and students talk about the need to see professors face to face when looking for Assistantships. Even beyond what the listserv puts out, if you're in the area, stop by and knock on doors. A lot of the staff, and a good number of students, are in the building this summer. If you know there's a specific professor or department you'd like to work with, come by. If you're a CHS person just walk around the CHS floor and see who's in. At the very least, you can talk to the administrative assistants.

So, have you all been getting contacted by the school lately?

A lot has been going on, advisors should be coming out soon, if not already. Many if us will have classes together as we get settled with the new core; I'm actually kind of excited about that.

I'm a special (read: annoying) case, so I'm mostly registered. But, most of the students won't register for awhile, and although that may make you nervous, don't be. No one is registered/registering yet.

If you're not planning on going to the indoc day, please do. Seems helpful, and maybe even fun.

So, have you all been getting contacted by the school lately?

A lot has been going on, advisors should be coming out soon, if not already. Many if us will have classes together as we get settled with the new core; I'm actually kind of excited about that.

I'm a special (read: annoying) case, so I'm mostly registered. But, most of the students won't register for awhile, and although that may make you nervous, don't be. No one is registered/registering yet.

If you're not planning on going to the indoc day, please do. Seems helpful, and maybe even fun.

Is that an orientation day for the SPH or UIC in general? I know there's one through the graduate college, but haven't heard anything for the SPH.

Well studies have shown that left handers tend to be more intelligent than right handers. They tend to be more analytical and creative. That would explain a larger percentage that you are seeing in med school. FYI I am a right hander.

It's the one specific to SPH.

At UIC, SPH is concerned a professional program, not a grad program (IIRC). Doesn't really matter, except that things like the general college orientation is different. FWIW, I plan on doing both, the SPH one has a wine reception.

It's the one specific to SPH.

At UIC, SPH is concerned a professional program, not a grad program (IIRC). Doesn't really matter, except that things like the general college orientation is different. FWIW, I plan on doing both, the SPH one has a wine reception.

When is the SPH orientation? I'll be in an MS program so I've gotten emails for a "required" orientation through the grad college.

When is the SPH orientation? I'll be in an MS program so I've gotten emails for a "required" orientation through the grad college.

Ah, I see. Didn't realize the MS folks were treated differently.

The SPH orientation is the 21st of August.

Ah, I see. Didn't realize the MS folks were treated differently.

The SPH orientation is the 21st of August.
I think MS/PhD are usually under the graduate college, yet still a part of the SPH. And thank you!

So, is everyone planning on going to orientation? I actually think it will be a really good program.

SPH orientation is very worthwhile. I would recommend that people go if they can. The dean and several others gave great talks about the school, programs, and student groups. I remember while listening to the dean talk about the mission and focus of our school having a strong feeling that it wasn't just because I am from Chicago-- I was really in the right place and had made a better choice than I even realized at the time.

I also got some useful stuff like an updated degree plan, a schedule of what semesters all my division's courses are offered, and an SPH pen that I now use during field work to drive home that I work for UIC without having to get out my ID. :) It's a nice time to meet people since it's right before classes start and you will all actually remember each other.

I'm an MS student and last year at least, we were not required to attend the graduate college orientation. The email I got said "Many of you have likely received information on the Graduate College Orientation as well. That event is not required and only MS, MHA, and PhD students are eligible to attend. If you have questions on that event, you should contact the UIC Graduate College directly." I didn't attend the graduate orientation, only SPH. I rarely interact directly with the graduate college and I really only meet people from SPH or who work at my research center, so it's been fine.