University of Chicago's new MPH

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

siyoi

Reaction score
So I just got accepted to UChicago's non-accredited new MPH program. Like, I'd literally be in the first class ever. I'm basically posting this to see if attending this would be a bad idea.

Obviously the school is good, but their MPH is brand new, and they don't pop up on the CEPH accreditation search, so their PhD isn't accredited either I guess.

From my research, it's pretty clear that accreditation is important. However, I'm currently in my 2nd semester in an MS Bio program at a different school, which is not really where I want to be - I'm not really interested in actual hard sciences like molecular or genetics anymore - I've found a liking for biostats, which is why I applied to this MPH. So it's basically either finishing this MS Bio program, or a non accredited MPH, or something else that I haven't thought of. If I were to do an MPH, I'd probably want to continue into a PhD.

Any advice appreciated. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

First off, congrats!

Accreditation is important for some fed jobs or others that explicitly require it, but otherwise if you go to a reputable university (which UChicago obviously is) you don't have a ton to worry about. Look into potential jobs/fellowships/etc. you'd be interested in and see what they require to be sure.

If I was in your shoes, I'd look at the faculty to see if there are any that really focus on what I'm personally interested in. Going to a "name-brand" institution is largely for connections and networking, and if you choose to pursue UChicago, I'd really make sure you can establish a good base for that. I believe they've had a PhD program for public health sciences for a good while, so I imagine they likely have some good folks teaching/serving as resources for this new program.

My biggest flag, is that tuition alone looks to be at least ~80K. For a first-year, non-accredited program that's pretty steep considering there are no stats to back up the benefits you get for paying that much. Do you get any aid? I believe a lot of programs do some sort of giant discount (if not entirely waive tuition) for the first incoming class. I think that's a pretty enormous sum when you could go to a state school with proven track records of student success for a lot cheaper.

Lastly, have you applied for/gotten into any other MPH programs? Tbh the only scenario I could see myself feeling comfortable with the program is if they can promise some sort of job/salary postgrad or with a lofty scholarship.