University of Kentucky Class 2018 Application

Started by KanTuck22
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Gosh I hope it's cause she's still busy lol. Hey sellis, what interview date did you get?

My interview is October 7th at noon, but there was a section to request a different date that I filled out because I have a Microbiology lab exam that day!
 
Oh, thanks for telling me! I am driving myself crazy right now wondering how many seats are left. I just wish I knew something!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm a little late posting on here, but I received my email yesterday afternoon about an interview
 
Yeah I agree. I felt pretty crappy about it at first but we have plenty of chances. I just scheduled another pcat and am applying to other schools as soon as they release me from ED.
 
I got an interview! Despite getting an email saying I didn't get an early decision interview, I received an invitation two days later! Hopefully some of you experienced something similar. If not, there will be many other opportunities over the next few months, and I wouldn't worry about it yet!

Congratulations!
 
I got an interview! Despite getting an email saying I didn't get an early decision interview, I received an invitation two days later! Hopefully some of you experienced something similar. If not, there will be many other opportunities over the next few months, and I wouldn't worry about it yet!

That's awesome! Congrats. Do you mind sharing your stats?
 
That's awesome! Congrats. Do you mind sharing your stats?

Schools I am applying to:
University of Kentucky, Cincinnati, Medical School of SC, and Purdue
b. Overall GPA:
4.0
c. Math/Science GPA:
4.0 (this includes Organic I and II and their labs, Gen Chem I and II and their labs, Microbiology, two general biology courses (150 & 152) and, 1 biology lab, anatomy, college algebra, elementary calculus, and statistics (209))
d. GPA in last one or two school years:
4.0 (just completed my sophomore year)
e. Complete PCAT scores (or just composite):
Taking it in July. I haven't taken a standardized test since the ACT, but I didn't do so well on standardized tests...and when I look at sample questions from the PCAT, i do horrible. Especially with verbal.
f. Pharmacy experience obtained:
~15 hours shadowing an oncology pharmacists in a hospital, and starting to schedule a local retail pharmacy this week
g. Date of application submission (PharmCAS/primary and secondary):
Ideally will finish submission in July, applying early decision to UK

Additionally, the following will help us gauge your chances but are more optional:
h. Number of LORs and source of LORs:
1) Organic I & II Professor: he scheduled a meeting with me to learn my strengths, experience, and goals to incorporate it into the letter. Should be solid
2) Oncology pharmacist: shadowed her a few times. Letter will probably be decent
3) Employer: NOT a pharmacist or professor; just a employer who I worked for over 2 years who knows my work ethic; could substitute with a TA, but i think that could look weak
i. Non-pharmacy work and/or volunteer experience:
I worked for a sports bar for over 2 years. A landscaping job one summer, a lawn-care associate at Wal-Mart the next, and this summer I'm back at the sports bar.
My Organic lab supervisor emailed me and asked if I would be interested in a lab TA job next year. He says I have all the credentials and grades, and it all actually depends on how open my schedule is. I made my schedule as open as possible, and hopefully I will get that job.
My ONLY volunteer experience in college has been this "K Week" thing where I am a lead a group of freshmen for a week. It's an orientation, and we do activities everyday the week before school starts and give tours. I've done this two years in a row. It's considered a leadership position, so hopefully that will be "okay"
I am afraid b/c this is very weak, and they don't care about my volunteering in high school, when I was really active.
j. Self-perception of interview skills
I am a people-person....except in the presence of authority. Once I am around the authoritative person regularly, I get really comfortable and they really like me. Unfortunately, I am not sure If this will be reflected in the interview, b/c I am concerned I will be shaky. HOWEVER, I don't think my interview skills are below average. I can make eye contact, and crack a joke and smile. I'm not a stick in the mud, but I'm also not Fonzie. In a nutshell, I would say average-above average.
k. Overall impression of personal statement quality:
Haven't written it yet. I plan on spending a substantial amount of time on it and having it edited.

After reading some people's resumes, I am really nervous. I've seen people with a TON of volunteer hours and leadership positions, and pharm tech jobs.

That was taken from an earlier post of his.
 
Hi everyone,
I'm deciding whether I should apply to this school or not and i need some of your recommendations
My GPA and SCPA are 3.45
Extracur: 4 years of teaching at a catholic church, a little bit of volunteering for school clubs here and there.
Work experience: 4 years of pharm tech certified.
PCAT: 29% , this is keeping me from deciding whether i should give it a try, i know their school is competitive...
I have 4 letters of Recommendations from science prof, pharmacist and pharmcacy manager and also youth group leader.
 
ACCEPTED! 🙂
Would write a longer post but I have to run to work.
Congratulations!!! 😀

Will you be accepting?! It looks like we may be classmates!!

Edit* Just accepted to the U of KY Class of 2018. I was a RD applicant who submitted PharmCas on 08/28 and the supplemental on 09/18. I interviewed on 10/05 and was accepted 10/18.

The interview (as shown on their website) was an MMI format! Good luck to everyone applying/interviewing! 🙂 And congrats to everyone who has been accepted as well 😀
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Received my acceptance letter today at noon, and I will be accepting the seat at the end of this weekend!

Congrats to anyone else receiving good news today!
 
Anyone know if an out of state can get instate tuition after one year? ~$13,000 is redic.

Don't take this for fact (because I don't know for sure), but I don't think so. I think it would stay the same for all 4 years.
 
The Admissions Committee is continuing to review completed application files for November interview selection. Interview invitations for the Nov. 22 interview date will continue to be sent via email through the end of day on Tuesday, November 12.

I got this email last week. Did anyone got their invites yet?
 
Not yet.....
The Admissions Committee is continuing to review completed application files for November interview selection. Interview invitations for the Nov. 22 interview date will continue to be sent via email through the end of day on Tuesday, November 12.

I got this email last week. Did anyone got their invites yet?
ot
 
I have an interview this Friday at UK! Any info on types of questions asked in this new MMI format?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
After spending the last 3 years trying to decide what I want to do with my life and completing a master's in biochem, I had an 'aha' moment while shadowing. I fell in love with clinical pharm and applied immediately... which wasn't until Oct/Nov. Took the PCAT in Nov as well. I'm really hoping for UK. I know the earlier you apply, the better, but how bad do you think the late application submission will hurt me??
 
After spending the last 3 years trying to decide what I want to do with my life and completing a master's in biochem, I had an 'aha' moment while shadowing. I fell in love with clinical pharm and applied immediately... which wasn't until Oct/Nov. Took the PCAT in Nov as well. I'm really hoping for UK. I know the earlier you apply, the better, but how bad do you think the late application submission will hurt me??

It really depends on your 'stats'. Getting an interview is solely based on the strength of your application. If you got a good PCAT score and have a good GPA, you shouldn't have an issue getting an interview (they also note your experience, essays, and recommendations). Being that you just took the PCAT, if you haven't already, send Danielle Johnson your unofficial PCAT scores because the admissions committee likely hasn't received them yet. I also know that UK strongly recommends that their applicants take the PCAT up to 3 times. I personally took it twice receiving not-so-good scores both times. At this point, I would suggest that you get in contact with Danielle. She can tell you all the ways to better your application.

Good luck!
 
Nobody yet??
I wouldn't pay too much attention to this forum, I think only a very small percentage of the applicants actually post on here. This is my second application to the college and I learned to not listen to the people posting stuff on here. I will also tell you that your interview date doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things. I didn't get accepted last year and I know people that interviewed in March that got in. By the way, I still haven't heard anything today.
 
Thank you for that, it made me feel better about this whole process. It's so frustrating not knowing where I will be in life next semester, as I am sure you know the feeling. I hope you get accepted 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
That's what I thought. I don't think they'd push them back without notifying us. I just thought we would get an email by now, like how they've done before.