University of Malta, Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amandad

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone applied to med @ the Uni of Malta or know anything about the school? Tuition is extremely expensive, but the cost of living seems low for Euro standards. There used to be a Commonwealth Scholarships program open to these countries but it seems to be defunct now.

I'm a Canadian applicant and am wondering if they are looking for any pre-requisite courses like bio, chem, etc. An entrance exam isn't mentioned.

When applying for residency positions in Canada, do they favour certain countries (like the UK, Ireland and Australia) over others?

Thanks in advance for your help! :)

Members don't see this ad.

How much is the tuition? Also, can you get a job in Malta if you don't get a residency in North America ?

You might want to double check the language requirement. My understanding is that in addition to English they require proficiency in the local language (Maltese?)

Members don't see this ad :)
The tuition fee is about $30,400 (24,000 EUR). Living expenses are about $1,184 (935 per month. Malta is indeed a very reputed school world-wide.

The program is in English and not Maltese so no proficiency of the language is expected. But do check out the course requirements. I've posted the links below.

Sources:
http://home.um.edu.mt/finance/Non-eu%20fees%20commencing%20students.pdf
http://www.um.edu.mt/int-eu/international/foundation
http://www.um.edu.mt/sas/scr

Hi, Anyone know,I there any POstgration of Medicine degree is available for non european students

Hi, Anyone know,Is there any POstgration of Medicine degree is available for non european students[/QUOTE]

I go there.

Well yes tuition is 24,000 eur yearly for non-EU students.

All lectures are in English (that is true). In the clinical years most patients will talk to you in English, however sometimes you find older patients who are not fluent in English and will only speak in Maltese.

Most of your classmates will be undergrad Maltese students.

Classes generally contain 80-120 students

Most of our foreign students are from the UK (however, I think it is more a geographical and language issue rather than a preference one)

You can get recidency here. However I would not suggest it. The pay is not that good and the hours are really long.

I go there.

Well yes tuition is 24,000 eur yearly for non-EU students.

All lectures are in English (that is true). In the clinical years most patients will talk to you in English, however sometimes you find older patients who are not fluent in English and will only speak in Maltese.

Most of your classmates will be undergrad Maltese students.

Classes generally contain 80-120 students

Most of our foreign students are from the UK (however, I think it is more a geographical and language issue rather than a preference one)

You can get recidency here. However I would not suggest it. The pay is not that good and the hours are really long.

Second grade school.

It is quite a good university actually, in terms of medicine at least. I wonder why you are calling it a second grade institution.

Our only -ve point is most of our knowledge is tested only through examination, we barely get assignments and essays. But in general the students have a good base of knowledge. And residency hours are horrible (but only if you decide to do your residency here. They are actually trying to change the residency schedule).

There are some very prominent doctors around the world who have studied at the UoM, for example at the Mayo Clinic.

Last edited:
I must be really misinformed because I haven't heard of the country of Malta before this other than from the dog breed. But I am interested in this school now.

I must be really misinformed because I haven't heard of the country of Malta before this other than from the dog breed. But I am interested in this school now.

How come you are interested in attending the UoM?

You are from germany right? In summer we get quite a handful of German students on electives.

How come you are interested in attending the UoM?

You are from germany right? In summer we get quite a handful of German students on electives.

heh, sorry, I'm not actually German. I was interested in Malta because they teach in English. I would have to do more research on this school though.

Oh, my bad then.

Look if you want any information on the school do not hesitate to PM me or ask here directly on the forums. I will help where I can (I am a local Maltese student so I might not know all the steps needed for a foreign application).

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, I am a UK student and going to apply the medicine course in UoM soon.
I was wondering if there is an interview for overseas applicants and if so, how's the interview formed?

Thanks

There is definitely an interview for foreigners. I personally do not know the details of the interview process (as I am a local student).
The interview will occur in summer, so be sure to look out for emails if you apply because I know someone who missed their interview.

I believe the questions will cater more around why you want to become a doctor and why study here and your qualifications. As a population in general we are not very inclined towards extracurricular activities. I could be wrong though.

Thanks for the quick reply! :D
I have posted my application form today, hopefully I get a good response from the Uni. I'll be entering as a mature student with undergraduate masters in biomedical science degree. Do you know what the proportion of mature students are in each year?

Almost all of our foreign students are postgraduate students (so generally 21 years+). Also there are a few Maltese postgraduate students. I think percentage wise it is about 10-20% (at least when considering current 2nd year and 3rd year students. Not sure of the percentage in this years 1st year students).

Thanks again! This information was very helpful. Perhaps I will ask you more questions when I get a response from the Uni.

Ammie you mentioned postgraduate students? doing what? a residency in a particular specialty? If so, I'm assuming they should be fluent in Maltese?

Ammie you mentioned postgraduate students? doing what? a residency in a particular specialty? If so, I'm assuming they should be fluent in Maltese?

By postgraduate local students I meant students who already posess a B.Sc in healthcare or biology and chemistry. And these students are now doing their MD.
Not postgraduate MD students who already have their MD.

Anyway, ther is speciality training here is Malta. It is only limited to a handful of specialities though.

Is there any 1-year course in UoM you could take in order to get a higher chance of becoming admitted to Medicine? I am thinking about if I should have a second course preference or not.

I've sent you a PM with some questions regarding the admission by the way. Hope it is ok. :)

does anyone know if it's possible to get student loans as an international student (from canada)? would I apply for a loan in Malta or in Canada/Ontario?

also what are the entrance requirements for North American students? it didn't seem too clear on the website. do they look at high school courses or undergrad?

I'm pretty sure they focus primarily on your undergraduate grades/courses if you are currently enrolled in an undergraduate program.

I believe that Medical schools in eastern europe have eveolved over the years.
I'll graduate from Romanian medical school in a year's time.I was in England this summer for 2months for my clinical practice.I compare and contrast and I come to the conclusion that a medical students commitment to learn makes alot of difference,although medical school has a role to play in a medical student's career pursuit;I strongly believe that Human beings don't change from China to Germany..from United states to India...Venezuela to Nigeria.
In the next century I also believe that medical education will comprise conventional medicine with trado-medicine in the etiology,pathophysiology and especially in the treatment of diseases.

Studymedabroad

I believe that Medical schools in eastern europe have eveolved over the years.
I'll graduate from Romanian medical school in a year's time.I was in England this summer for 2months for my clinical practice.I compare and contrast and I come to the conclusion that a medical students commitment to learn makes alot of difference,although medical school has a role to play in a medical student's career pursuit;I strongly believe that Human beings don't change from China to Germany..from United states to India...Venezuela to Nigeria.
In the next century I also believe that medical education will comprise conventional medicine with trado-medicine in the etiology,pathophysiology and especially in the treatment of diseases.

Studymedabroad

Malta is not part of Eastern Europe. It is Mediterranean and just beneath Italy.
So your comment on Eastern countries does not involve Malta.

Ammie, if I have my Italian-American dual citizenship, would I be able to be eligible for any scholarships. Also, by the time I go to UoM, my family will be living there. I just recently emailed Dr. Laferla for more details about the M.D. program. Could you tell me more about what the program is like and if I would have my B.S. by that time, would I still have to go through the full 5 years?

Thanks for all your help!

Ammie, if I have my Italian-American dual citizenship, would I be able to be eligible for any scholarships. Also, by the time I go to UoM, my family will be living there. I just recently emailed Dr. Laferla for more details about the M.D. program. Could you tell me more about what the program is like and if I would have my B.S. by that time, would I still have to go through the full 5 years?

Thanks for all your help!

Since you are Italian you would be entitled to the same fees as maltese students by EU law, which amounts to $0 since tertiary education is free in Malta. SO yeah it would be a type of "scholarship" if you get in.

The program is 2 years pre-clinical and 3 years clinical. They have recently changed the structure of the syllabus and I am not particularly informed since I am still under the old syllabus.

Even if you have a B.S. you would still have to go through 5 years of medical school just like anyone else.

What about entrance exams? Are there any exams for either local or international applicants that need to be completed?

I will be applying for med at UoM for the new year as a local applicant with overseas qualifications (bachelor of science obtained from an Australian uni) and can't figure out for the life of me whether I have to attend an interview. I am aware that interviews are for international students, but how about local applicants with overseas qualifications?

What about entrance exams? Are there any exams for either local or international applicants that need to be completed?

I will be applying for med at UoM for the new year as a local applicant with overseas qualifications (bachelor of science obtained from an Australian uni) and can’t figure out for the life of me whether I have to attend an interview. I am aware that interviews are for international students, but how about local applicants with overseas qualifications?

They do not require any entrance exams. You probably need to take an english language exam if english is not your first language.

What is your BS in? I have a BA in Psychology and they asked me for AP scores biology, chemistry and a third subject. They might want you to take A Levels.

I have applied in November for the entry to the medical school in Malta. However I have yet to hear from them. Is this might be an indication that I will be getting an interview?
My background is BSc (Hons) in Podiatry with 2.1 classification. I also have a diploma of Higher education in Health Sciences.

I am aware that Malta University does BSc in Podiatry? Would you think that this point may well increase my chances for admissions?
Please get back to me asap. :xf:

Eredhel- Thanks for the reply. My BS is in biomedical science, so i dont think they will ask me to do any A levels as i’ve done alot of biology, chemistry, biochem, immuno etc.

Mario2804- I called the admissions office a few weeks ago and asked them about when to expect a response to my application (I applied in December). The admissions person said that the majority of applicants will find out about whether their application was successful in March, and if u are, you will be given a interview date which will be around June.

In terms of whether your Bsc will make u stand out, our application requested for our school results, uni results and relevant work experience. I dont think your Bsc major will make u stand out to be honest. I also asked admissions about the weight of relevant work experience in our application, and I was told it is looked at and considered. I guess the application is based on a whole range of things!!!

wiiiho, am so glad I found this post. Am planning on applying to different Med unis in Europe. Uni of Malta is one of myc hoices. Am in the process of applying online but cant proceed with my application atm bse I made a stupido mistake. The gap where it says "secod course preference", I stupidly filled in medicine which is my first preference. And once someone has filled in those gaps, you cant remove or do anythin bout it. I tried to proceed with the applciation but it wont let me coz it says "error, Ive filled in 2 same course". Grrrrrh. I can remove it or do anythin.

Contacted the technical stuff and some professsors but its now a week since I did that. Shld I be worried? anyone ahs any suggestions?

wiiiho, am so glad I found this post. Am planning on applying to different Med unis in Europe. Uni of Malta is one of myc hoices. Am in the process of applying online but cant proceed with my application atm bse I made a stupido mistake. The gap where it says "secod course preference", I stupidly filled in medicine which is my first preference. And once someone has filled in those gaps, you cant remove or do anythin bout it. I tried to proceed with the applciation but it wont let me coz it says "error, Ive filled in 2 same course". Grrrrrh. I can remove it or do anythin.

Contacted the technical stuff and some professsors but its now a week since I did that. Shld I be worried? anyone ahs any suggestions?

Contacting the UoM international admissions office should solve the problem... cant think of anything else that can be done. Its their job to solve these issues so if they say they cant fix it, they should be able to put u through to someone who will.

Eredhel- Thanks for the reply. My BS is in biomedical science, so i dont think they will ask me to do any A levels as i’ve done alot of biology, chemistry, biochem, immuno etc.

Mario2804- I called the admissions office a few weeks ago and asked them about when to expect a response to my application (I applied in December). The admissions person said that the majority of applicants will find out about whether their application was successful in March, and if u are, you will be given a interview date which will be around June.

In terms of whether your Bsc will make u stand out, our application requested for our school results, uni results and relevant work experience. I dont think your Bsc major will make u stand out to be honest. I also asked admissions about the weight of relevant work experience in our application, and I was told it is looked at and considered. I guess the application is based on a whole range of things!!!

Mike- post was directed to students from Malta University!:thumbdown: I do not think you realise what is podiatry! And I have A levels human biology and chemistry as well I am actually doing at the moment a teaching degree in secondary science and the sciences are to a degree level. Furthemore I am already working with high risk group of patients such as diabetics and cvd and rheumatological. What sort of work experience do you have? Now who stands out is for the actual admission tutors to decide.
The trend with admissions for the biomed students trying to get to medicine is way too often, thus you are more likely be rejected since the admissions tutors will choose applicants from VARIOUS degrees and backgrounds focusing especially on patient contact, communication (vocational course). This is what is a medical course is- VOCATIONAL something biomed students really luck.

Mike- post was directed to students from Malta University!:thumbdown: I do not think you realise what is podiatry! And I have A levels human biology and chemistry as well I am actually doing at the moment a teaching degree in secondary science and the sciences are to a degree level. Furthemore I am already working with high risk group of patients such as diabetics and cvd and rheumatological. What sort of work experience do you have? Now who stands out is for the actual admission tutors to decide.
The trend with admissions for the biomed students trying to get to medicine is way too often, thus you are more likely be rejected since the admissions tutors will choose applicants from VARIOUS degrees and backgrounds focusing especially on patient contact, communication (vocational course). This is what is a medical course is- VOCATIONAL something biomed students really luck.

Firstly, I apologise if u wanted advice from current students. I thought I would comment as I have recently applied for the course and spoken to admissions staff. Also, I know what podiatry is, but it doesnt change the fact that you are not a special applicant. I dunno whether a podiatrist has more of a chance at getting in than a biomedical scientist, but judging from the numerous applicants I know in both science and vocational backgrounds (ppl I know who are physiotherapists and chiropractors who study med), there appears to be no bias.

You speak of a trend of biomed students trying to get into medicine way too often, and that as a result of that, as well as our apparent ‘lack of patient contact and communication skills' we are more likely to be rejected. That is just an uninformed and absurd statement which has no merit whatsoever.

In terms of my work experience, I have been working as a biomedical scientist in a hospital laboratory since I graduated late last year (in haematology).

On a separate note, we may have an advantage as the UoM only offers an undergrad medical degree. If we get lucky, most of the applicants will only have A level qualifications and no relevant work experience or other undergrad degrees and we may stand out! Fingers crossed!

Last edited:
Hey everyone. :) I have also just submitted my application for UoM for medicine. I'm graduating this year in BSc (Hons) Biomedical Science at a UK university. I was wondering do you know how many students they are taking on average each year???
I really like this uni and am hoping to get in....but really have no idea on what criteria they assess the applications. I was also wondering should we submit a Personal Statement with our applications or not? Because they actually don't ask for any kind of covering letter or anything. I'm just hoping that there won't be too many applicants and we'll all get in ;) :)

Hey everyone. :) I have also just submitted my application for UoM for medicine. I'm graduating this year in BSc (Hons) Biomedical Science at a UK university. I was wondering do you know how many students they are taking on average each year???
I really like this uni and am hoping to get in....but really have no idea on what criteria they assess the applications. I was also wondering should we submit a Personal Statement with our applications or not? Because they actually don't ask for any kind of covering letter or anything. I'm just hoping that there won't be too many applicants and we'll all get in ;) :)

A UoM med student said earlier in this thread that classes contain 80-120 students. Don’t know how many of those are international students though! I’m not sure about the cover letter... I didnt submit one either. I can’t wait till the offers are released! So anxious lol.

A UoM med student said earlier in this thread that classes contain 80-120 students. Don’t know how many of those are international students though! I’m not sure about the cover letter... I didnt submit one either. I can’t wait till the offers are released! So anxious lol.

:D yeah I wish to get into that course soooo so badly. I have been checking out a lot of Universities and this one just grabbed me. Moreover one of my colleagues has graduated with medicine from there and recommended it to me. He said that the course was very tough and really worth it. Really really fingers crossed. :) May I ask how do you plan to support yourself there if you get in?

:D yeah I wish to get into that course soooo so badly. I have been checking out a lot of Universities and this one just grabbed me. Moreover one of my colleagues has graduated with medicine from there and recommended it to me. He said that the course was very tough and really worth it. Really really fingers crossed. :) May I ask how do you plan to support yourself there if you get in?

Its great that graduates recommend the UoM! Where is your colleague working after graduating from UoM??

If I get in, I won't have problems supporting myself as I am a dual Australian-Maltese citizen and have family living about 20min drive from the uni. I am very fortunate in that sense! How about u? I was in Malta for the majority of my high school years, and the living costs were, and still are fairly high (but prob not as high as the UK lol).

Also, I was wondering... what made the UoM stand out from the other universities you looked at?

Last edited:
Its great that graduates recommend the UoM! Where is your colleague working after graduating from UoM??

If I get in, I won’t have problems supporting myself as I am a dual Australian-Maltese citizen and have family living about 20min drive from the uni. I am very fortunate in that sense! How about u? I was in Malta for the majority of my high school years, and the living costs were, and still are fairly high (but prob not as high as the UK lol).

Also, I was wondering... what made the UoM stand out from the other universities you looked at?

heheh it is indeed great that he recommended it. As with everyone I was also having doubts which universities to apply to and whether or not it will be worth it. :D At the moment we are both working in a hospital and he's a brilliant doctor. So actually seeing how good he is it makes me really respect the level of teaching there. What made it stand out...hmmmm - well the structure of the course, the opportunities for internship, the low cost (compared to UK ;)) and my friend's high opinion of it as an institution. :) :)

Well about supporting myself - that's always been my problem but I managed to do it so far during my first degree here. I am working part time in a hospital and the money I get are quite good. What I'm going to do is probably save money and come back and work here during the summers. And also I'm going to look for some part-time or vocational job in Malta as well. You're very lucky that you have family there :). It's always easy when there is someone there for you (I mean not only financially) :D

Tell me about Malta. How is living there? It looks so beautiful on the pictures :)

heheh it is indeed great that he recommended it. As with everyone I was also having doubts which universities to apply to and whether or not it will be worth it. :D At the moment we are both working in a hospital and he's a brilliant doctor. So actually seeing how good he is it makes me really respect the level of teaching there. What made it stand out...hmmmm - well the structure of the course, the opportunities for internship, the low cost (compared to UK ;)) and my friend's high opinion of it as an institution. :) :)

Well about supporting myself - that's always been my problem but I managed to do it so far during my first degree here. I am working part time in a hospital and the money I get are quite good. What I'm going to do is probably save money and come back and work here during the summers. And also I'm going to look for some part-time or vocational job in Malta as well. You're very lucky that you have family there :). It's always easy when there is someone there for you (I mean not only financially) :D

Tell me about Malta. How is living there? It looks so beautiful on the pictures :)

Your plan sounds pretty reasonable! What sort of work are you currently doing at the hospital? If I were to study in Malta i’d also look for some sort of part-time job... preferably in a hospital or pathology lab (if there are any private path labs!) Not too sure how hard it is to find part-time work in a medical lab though. I’d be grateful if anybody had some info on that.

Maltese locals are very easy going, the beaches are great, the nightlife is fantastic! I think it will make a great place to study! Perhaps one of the current UoM students who are viewing this thread can give us a better description of what its like to study at UoM...

--

Last edited:
Does anybody know when the application deadline is for UoM's Doctor of Medicine & Surgery programme?

I'm a United States citizen but I'm in the process of obtaining my Italian citizenship, which I should have in no more than 2 months. And obviously I want to pay EU tuition, not foreign, and I contacted Malta about this. They said I could apply as an International and the file paperwork to have my status changed before October but that it is a big hassle and I should try to obtain my Italian citizenship before applying. So I'm wondering how much time I've got.

Also, I'm going to be 24-years-old when the semester starts in October, so I understand it that means I'm going to be "mature entry". Is that an advantage or a disadvantage for me?

After graduation would I owe anything to Malta, in terms of service to their country, or the EU, or would I be free to return to the United States if I wanted to?

Hey :). The deadline and some additional information you can find here: http://www.um.edu.mt/int-eu/notices/applicationsdeadline good luck dear :) :)

Hi all?
Is there an entrance test for Malta med school? Does anyone know about the interview process?

Thanks
G

The admissions person said that the majority of applicants will find out about whether their application was successful in March, and if u are, you will be given a interview date which will be around June.
It's now the month of March. I hope we hear back from them with some good news anytime soon. Fingers-crossed. :xf:

Agreed! If you hear anything from the uni let us know, and ill do the same! Best of luck! :)

It's now the month of March. I hope we hear back from them with some good news anytime soon. Fingers-crossed. :xf:

Hi all?
Is there an entrance test for Malta med school? Does anyone know about the interview process?

Thanks
G
As far as I'm aware they only do interviews. I'd like to know more about the interview process too. Did you apply this year? I guess it would be the common medical school interview where they ask you why you want to be a doctor, why this med school, work experience and so on.

If anyone has more info. please do share. The wait is killing me. I wish they let me know the status of my application now. :( By looking at the number post view counts of this thread, I'm assuming loads have had taken interest in this programme. I wonder how many applied for medicine this year too...

As far as I'm aware they only do interviews. I'd like to know more about the interview process too. Did you apply this year? I guess it would be the common medical school interview where they ask you why you want to be a doctor, why this med school, work experience and so on.

If anyone has more info. please do share. The wait is killing me. I wish they let me know the status of my application now. :( By looking at the number post view counts of this thread, I'm assuming loads have had taken interest in this programme. I wonder how many applied for medicine this year too...

The wait is killing me too. I applied in Feb, feels like an eternity.
I wonder how many students from the EU will make it along with the Maltese and th fee paying international applicants.
Thanks for for your help.

Since you are Italian you would be entitled to the same fees as maltese students by EU law, which amounts to $0 since tertiary education is free in Malta. SO yeah it would be a type of "scholarship" if you get in.

The program is 2 years pre-clinical and 3 years clinical. They have recently changed the structure of the syllabus and I am not particularly informed since I am still under the old syllabus.

Even if you have a B.S. you would still have to go through 5 years of medical school just like anyone else.

Hi Ammie,

I understand you are a medical student at the UoM.How are your studies going? Would you able to tell us approximately how many students from the EU get in to UoM to read medicine.

Regards