University of Maryland Class of 2010 part 01

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
LucidSplash said:
This two ppd thing is annoying as hell. I've had a ppd every 6 months or more often for the last 2.5 years because I worked with monkeys (for the monkeys' protection, not ours). I wish they'd just give me credit for those. But I'm going to call the student health center today and make an appointment. On the positive side, I'll get to try out my new bike and the ride to campus!

don't get killed on the way to school.

Members don't see this ad.

LadyWolverine said:
LS, they might give you credit for 1 if you've had it within the past year. My last one was 14 months ago, and they were like, "too bad". So that would lead me to believe that there is an acceptable period during which they will consider a prior PPD - at Georgetown it was 1 year.

My 2nd one itches because I have a mosquito bite right next to it. I guess that's what I get for "landscaping" (i.e. messing with my disaster of a backyard) at 10 at night. But it's just too hot during the day!! :(

are you sure you just don't have tb? :laugh:

I sympathize with this TB thing. I have gotten every year for the past 4 years and the area always turns red because my skin is sensitive to it but it is never raised on anything. So I go in today to my doctor in FL to have it looked at and of course it is red again. Well the nurse checked it and I told her it always turns red..well she wanted the Doc to look at it so I was like okay whatever.........ONE HOUR LATER........he comes in and is like yeah it is negative. Normally I realize Docs get backed up but seriously, I have like a million things to do.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh and did anyone see that House episode TB or not TB? Remember his TB spot, it was so disgusting! Is that what it really looks like if you are positive or was that just for tv?

So I thought I had a copy of my immunization records, but I guess not, or at least I can't find them. So I called my undergrad institution and luckily they keep imm. records for 10 years. So they are going to fax them to me. But since I haven't had a regular doctor since graduating from college, can I just get this filled out at the student health center, or do I have to find a doc that I have never been to to fill out the form? I see that the health center will give you the immunizations if you can't prove you've had them, but will they do my form?

LucidSplash said:
So I thought I had a copy of my immunization records, but I guess not, or at least I can't find them. So I called my undergrad institution and luckily they keep imm. records for 10 years. So they are going to fax them to me. But since I haven't had a regular doctor since graduating from college, can I just get this filled out at the student health center, or do I have to find a doc that I have never been to to fill out the form? I see that the health center will give you the immunizations if you can't prove you've had them, but will they do my form?
My undergrad faxed my records directly to UMD. I assume if you do it this way you shouldn't have to find a doctor in Maryland to sign off on the form, because the document they fax should be official.

LucidSplash said:
Hmm good call. I'll have to call about that.
I had to fax my undergrad a release form first, basically telling them it was ok to send my medical info. What was funny is that I got this taken care of the same day I did the HIPAA quiz for Maryland, and so I understood everything the document was asking about....PHI, restrictions on how long they had to access the info, what the info could be used for, etc. I felt like such an informed patient.

Just FYI for anyone else, I just talked to the Health Center, and they said they would accept a faxed version of my records hand-delivered by me or one faxed by my undergrad. But I still have to get them the form, just with the front side filled out.

Hey guys,

Bryon and I are going to Captain Larry's in Federal Hill tonight around 6pm. Another girl from PSP is going to come, too. They have this amazing deal, a pound of shrimp and a pitcher of beer for $10. Not bad at all. Give me a call if you want to join us.

lol i got a 58% on the HIPAA training quiz.

Note to self: do not have 5 IM conversations going, alternative rock, the tv and 4 poker windows open, while flipping through the HIPAA presentation.

akestler said:
lol i got a 58% on the HIPAA training quiz.

Note to self: do not have 5 IM conversations going, alternative rock, the tv and 4 poker windows open, while flipping through the HIPAA presentation.

LOL Ari!! Did you fail, or did they give you the cert anyway?

You know, your score on the HIPAA training exam is indicative of future performace in med school. :eek:

LadyWolverine said:

You know, your score on the HIPAA training exam is indicative of future performace in med school. :eek:

That's true. And they put it on your transcript, right next to your class rank and board scores.

Oh, and I think I'm in for tonight in Fed. Hill, but I gotta check and make sure Greg doesn't have anything planned first.

Members don't see this ad :)
I called the hopkins health center the other day and they said that would actually send my whole file to UMD. If your schools do that, you should have them do that because that is 4 years of health records. It is good for girls esp. if you had any obgyn stuff done at your college center because the files should have all lab results and stuff.

Oh man...you guys have to see this!!

Click here

I laughed myself sick. I should be working, but come on, it's Richard Simmons!!!

HA! At my school that would be just the number of times they gave me salt packets and throat drops because I didn't feel well. Well, they did give me a prescription for hydrocortizone cream once when my entire hand turned into a big blister that looked like Tapioca. No one knew what it was. So they were like here, put this on it and come back if your hand falls off.

Though I guess there was that one time that I thought my nose was broken and I had a convo with the doc on staff that went something like this:

Me: Do you think my nose is broken?
Doc: Do you feel like your nose is broken?
Me: Uh, it hurts a lot.
Doc: Well, it could be broken then.
Me: Um, do you think I should go to the emergency room?
Doc: Do you feel like you need to go to the emergency room?
Me: Well, if my nose is broken, I think I should, don't you?
Doc: Well, do you feel like your nose is broken?

Rinse, repeat. (BTW, my nose WAS broken).

Seriously, did anyone actually have a good experience with their undergrad health center?

LadyWolverine said:

of course they gave me the cert. anyway. Somewhat troubling, no? :confused:

Nope, in fact the only time I went in there was to 1) get a tetanus shot, and 2) get these records. They didn't have my Hep B shots on there, and when I showed them a copy of my medical form from like 5 years ago I asked if they could just put it on my form for simplicity. Nope, that has a charge! F that. I'll just give them all my forms.

Since Ari is the HIPAA champ I know he's going to start looking up our birthdays in the computer to throw surprise parties that ePHI violating bastard!!

Cozmosis said:
Since Ari is the HIPAA champ I know he's going to start looking up our birthdays in the computer to throw surprise parties that ePHI violating bastard!!

LMFAO @ LS & Coz...

I stayed as far away from Student Death as possible. I'm sure Ari remembers how lovely UHS treated its student patients. I hated going in there. As bad as Michigan was, Georgetown's health center was 10 times worse. Because they are a Catholic institution, they don't believe in things like birth control pills and many other aspects of womens' health.

So if I took the test on my borrowed computer from work, which isn't hooked up to any kind of printer, and then had to retake it on Greg's laptop so I could print it, do I count the 83.33% I got the first time, or do I count the 100% I got the 2nd time?

Wait, we seriously have to print it out? WTF are we supposed to do with it?

LucidSplash said:
Oh, double sweet. My bill was the only thing in the mail today.

I got mine yesterday. My "refund" is actually significantly more than I expected. What do we do with the $$ that we don't use? Can we give it back so that we don't accumulate interest on the unsubsidized Stafford? Or should I hang on to it and put it in a CD or something, since the interest rate really isn't that high?

Wow, this thread is really moving today. If we keep it up, we could surpass Oklahoma again. They are the only ones who are even in our league :)

Hey LS, when I called the Health center they said you could go by word of mouth for having chicken pox. So that saves you one shot, at least. Hope you can get around the Hep B stuff, thats an annoying set.

arghhhh i keep trying to make an appointment to get the meningococcal vaccine before i move in to my apartment, and they keep transferring me to the student nurse, who NEVER picks up. i've left messages for her yesterday and today. is anyone else having this issue?

Sorry to hear about all you Student Death center stories. I actually worked at the hopkins one and it is pretty good. Hopkins pediatric residents work there so everyone was pretty helpful. I went to Ecuador and was able to get my Hep A, yellow fever and typhoid vaccines there really cheap. I guess the almost 35+ tuition from the 4000 students was actually put to good use.

LW I never thought about taking the extra money aka "refund" and invest it in something. I just want money to cover tuition because I know wouldn't use the extra money for a good purpose. I have known people to buy the most random **** with their's like plasma TVs, new computers etc. You could invest it but I would just take what I needed but investing it sounds good too. My uncle has his own brokerage company in Timonium so I will have to ask him what he thinks.

I would pay it back towards the unsub loan. The interest rates for the unsub loans are a fixed 6.8% and the best I've seen for a CD recently was like 5.40%.

Of course you could always give it to me, seeing as we are bff and stuff.

Hey Guys,

Great job everyone... for keeping the class thread rolling. I was gone for vacation (to Africa). Now, it's time to get things in order during these few days left. Anyone else living at Centerpoint?

Goodluck to all,

-Gentle-

LucidSplash said:
Of course you could always give it to me, seeing as we are bff and stuff.

LOL! BFF! What are we, like 12? The truth is, I only pretend to like you because you give me free stuff, like lamps and George Forman Grills and Realtors.

And just so you know, I totally let you win that super monkey ball game tonight. Next time I'll kick your a$$ around the block. Quite literally, seeing as how part of the game is actually played on a block.

Awwww....I heart LS. :)

Also...can I just say how much I :love: this thread??? Everyone else's thread is like "where should I live?" "What is there to do around here?" "When is orientation?" and other stupid, boring, impersonal shyt like that. We actually talk about stuff that MATTERS. Like Swiffer Sweepers and Roombas and Nuwave ovens and crackheads. I knew there was a reason why we're all here...they really did a kickass job of selection during interviews.

Best. Thread. Ever. :thumbup:

PS I just figured out who "DiegoT" is. I thought it was a dude...but now I know better. Where are you, DiegoT? You haven't posted for a while. Are you going to UMD, or did you get off the waitlist at that "other school" yet? :)

I want you to go to Maryland because you ROCK. :thumbup:

LadyWolverine said:
LOL! BFF! What are we, like 12? The truth is, I only pretend to like you because you give me free stuff, like lamps and George Forman Grills and Realtors.

And just so you know, I totally let you win that super monkey ball game tonight. Next time I'll kick your a$$ around the block. Quite literally, seeing as how part of the game is actually played on a block.

Awwww....I heart LS. :)

Of course we are twelve. Although I don't think I used that phrase even when I was 12. And I only pretend to like you because you remind me of my psychotic ex-stepsister who hates me, so it gives me a sense of familial validation. You're part of my therapy.

Oh sure, right, you let me win. Well, you know where we live when you're ready for a rematch.

So I was looking through some websites and I found our class pics but of course only like 20 people show up. LW very nice pic! I am not sure what other SDNs are on there. Are these the pics we sent in with the applications?

Gentle said:
Hey Guys,

Great job everyone... for keeping the class thread rolling. I was gone for vacation (to Africa). Now, it's time to get things in order during these few days left. Anyone else living at Centerpoint?

Goodluck to all,

-Gentle-
Welcome back to the US. I'm living at Centerpoint...in the tower, which wouldn't be bad except for the construction that takes place every morning in the apartment directly above. It's odd to me that they choose to hammer at 8 am. Surely there are other, less noisy, tasks they could be doing at this time?

LW and LS - how dare you hold a super monkey ball competition without me! I'm jealous! ;)

SuzieQ3417 said:
LW and LS - how dare you hold a super monkey ball competition without me! I'm jealous! ;)

LOL, sorry SQ! You and Todd are hereby invited over for a super monkey ball competition sometime.

And to be fair, it wasn't really a competition with LW ;) It was more like a complete a$$-whooping. :cool:

LucidSplash said:
LOL, sorry SQ! You and Todd are hereby invited over for a super monkey ball competition sometime.

And to be fair, it wasn't really a competition with LW ;) It was more like a complete a$$-whooping. :cool:

WTF is super monkey ball?

akestler said:

Oh man, don't ask...I seriously got my a$$ handed to me like 20 times.

I had dreams last night of little animated monkeys hopping around and making weird, high-pitched noises.

It is fun as hell though - I was laughing my a$$ off the entire time.

Perhaps Ari would be fair competition for me, seeing as he's never played before, either?

akestler said:
Believe it or not, it is exactly what it sounds like. Little brightly-clothed monkeys in balls, made into an awesome game.

Cozmosis said:
PS. I will own you all in video games :mad:

Oh great, another one. Why don't you all get in a line, I'll just bend over, and you can take turns spanking me till I'm black and blue.

I found my new favorite site. It's the cutest frickin thing ever.
www.cuteoverload.com

I heart it more than caulk. And that's saying a lot.

superspoon.jpg

Formidable opponent:

You may have 'Skip'ped me the last four turns, but wait 'til I drop this Wild plus Draw Four, mofo.

uno_kittayns
[/QUOTE]

Status
Not open for further replies.